Devils Vs Stars - League - 16th Dec 23 - FO 19:00

100% the officials caused that at the end last night, Wallers incident, Arniel was slashed so hard the whole arena heard it, Wall was nudged a lot, Mosey had a go but refs got involved way too much!! Leave them to it, then it's done and dusted reasonably quick!!!
I felt awkward with the chanting at the end as personally I've always liked Brittain, but I thought it was pretty shithouse to grab one of the smaller guys on the team!! Glad they all stayed on the ice until Dundee had gone in, "its our barn and our fans!!!".

Rempel16

Agree on both counts!

Thought the chant at the end was poor and the sort of behaviour we call out other fan bases for.
That’s probably one of the more tame chants aimed at an ex-player.

He was useless for us and stole a wage… if he wants to come back to the rink and try playing the tough guy all game (he threw more hits in his first shift than he did for us all last season) he deserves everything.

No wonder teams aren’t frightened of coming into Cardiff anymore. We used to have one of the most intimidating atmospheres in the league, now we seem happy to offer ex (crap) players the gold standard of treatment on return. Sad times.

MA18

He was useless for us and stole a wage… if he wants to come back to the rink and try playing the tough guy all game (he threw more hits in his first shift than he did for us all last season) he deserves everything.

No wonder teams aren’t frightened of coming into Cardiff anymore. We used to have one of the most intimidating atmospheres in the league, now we seem happy to offer ex (crap) players the gold standard of treatment on return. Sad times.
That’s ok then, let’s slag out ex players who for whatever reason haven’t lived up to expectations…but other nights let pretend we’re the best most inclusive fanbase who call out other teams for doing similar.

Can’t blame him for coming down and putting a shift in, he’s playing against players that are in positions he probably wants to be in.

He might be a profession sportsman but he a decent enough guy.

I don’t think any player needs special treatment but IMO pretty poor taste.

Slagging out a player who put a good shift in against us - sad times.

bb1

I missed the game but saw the end. It all boils down to what has gone on in the game. If someone had taken on Allen during the game then this may not have happened.

We do lack that one type of player who would make the likes of Allen think twice about going after our guys and the dirty plays like the X check on Waller.

Batch will stand up when really pushed but hes never been the type of player to go out and look for a fight.

Fridays game will be interesting because I have no doubt that Stevenson and Sol will be gunning for Chad. Chad doesn't seem the type to back down either. If we still had that Louis, Fournier type presence on the ice I think all of these situations would play out differently.

Rempel16

That’s ok then, let’s slag out ex players who for whatever reason haven’t lived up to expectations…but other nights let pretend we’re the best most inclusive fanbase who call out other teams for doing similar.

Can’t blame him for coming down and putting a shift in, he’s playing against players that are in positions he probably wants to be in.

He might be a profession sportsman but he a decent enough guy.

I don’t think any player needs special treatment but IMO pretty poor taste.

Slagging out a player who put a good shift in against us - sad times.
I have never once called out opposition fans for doing the same.
And I will not apologise for wanting the rink to be intimidating for opposition players to enter. That has nothing to do with inclusivity, so please don’t be so quick as to throw such a needless term into the debate.

If a player doesn’t give his all whilst in a Devils jersey then he doesn’t deserve to be lauded when he comes back.

So he puts no effort in whilst wearing a Devils jersey, but that’s ok because he’s a decent enough guy… wow.

It was nothing to do with him putting a shift in against us, it was the cheapshotting all night that climaxed with his part at the end… I didn’t see Thompson doing similar and so I didn’t slag him off…

august04 2.0

Totally agree. His effort levels as a Cardiff Devil were lamentable. Let’s be honest, he is a Devils reject. One of the worse players I’ve ever seen wear the jersey, didn’t even try most games and certainly one of the most least effective. Then he plays last night like he’s billy big balls (probably because he knows he has Allen on his team), throws more hits in one game than we saw all last season and plays the tough guy at the end too (with Cox?). I’m disappointed nobody sorted him out, but then we're not capable of that anymore, sadly.

MA18

And I will not apologise for wanting the rink to be intimidating for opposition players to enter. That has nothing to do with inclusivity, so please don’t be so quick as to throw such a needless term into the debate.

If a player doesn’t give his all whilst in a Devils jersey then he doesn’t deserve to be lauded when he comes back.

So he puts no effort in whilst wearing a Devils jersey, but that’s ok because he’s a decent enough guy… wow.

It was nothing to do with him putting a shift in against us, it was the cheapshotting all night that climaxed with his part at the end… I didn’t see Thompson doing similar and so I didn’t slag him off…
Absolutely it should be an intimidating place, calling out any player after the whistle doesn’t make it that, it makes it look like a school playground.

Was he lauded by anyone?

I’ve got plenty of opinions on ex and current players. I just obviously find different ways to display them.

BostonBart22

I’m not one for calling out the officials but that has to be one of the worst displays I’ve seen in a long time . They play a huge part in letting the game get out of hand . Franny predicted what would happen during the period break interview on the live stream , calling out the intent to injure and the need to control the game . How no one calls the cross check to Wallers head is unbelievable (and worthy of a suspension) .
I also agree with a few of the other posters on here commenting that teams are aware they won’t be held to account so are purposely targeting skilled players and I’ve no doubt the injuries will continue. As for thinking the game has evolved, you only have to watch the NHL to realise that players and teams policing the game themselves still exists. There might not be many out and out enforcers around but accountability and ‘the code’ is still very much present.
Totally agree 4 officials on the ice and not one seen it or maybe seen it and did nothing, things like that should be reviewed at next stoppage takes 2 mins appaling hit and a worthy 3 game ban imo

Totally agree. His effort levels as a Cardiff Devil were lamentable. Let’s be honest, he is a Devils reject. One of the worse players I’ve ever seen wear the jersey, didn’t even try most games and certainly one of the most least effective. Then he plays last night like he’s billy big balls (probably because he knows he has Allen on his team), throws more hits in one game than we saw all last season and plays the tough guy at the end too (with Cox?). I’m disappointed nobody sorted him out, but then we're not capable of that anymore, sadly.
He was a fraud for us last season brittain no Ian McIntyre just a powerpuff forward who never threw a hit last season for us

Devils86

Exactly. Craig Moore never gets any issues. The chant at the end got going because Brittain completely unnecessarily wanted to trade jerseys with Cox.

And the reference to 'inclusivity' is laughable. There's no reference to gender, race, sexual preference, religion....

To include 'acting like a jerk' in with the other protected characteristics demeans the idea.

The chant is more football than it is hockey, but then again a lot of the newer Block 13 chants are based from other sports. That's a personal taste issue rather than anything else.

E.D.S.

It’s just a bit of pantomime fun. Still nothing like football, no bad language. I’d expect that kind of reaction if any player kicked off that way at the end of a game. It tells me more about what happened when he was here. Sandford, Cox and Brandt were chirping him from the outset at the benches. Clearly they didn’t think much of him and his time here.
It was just a bit of fun but appreciate everyone has different standards.

I’d take number 4 for Dundee in a heart beat, finished every check, no nonsense stay at home d man. Not too many of those around these days.

moggy#9

Imagine if Mike ware was on the ice, he would've chased that player all around the ice , and as far as morrjsons if he had to. No backing down by his type of player.
If Mike macwilliam was playing it would have been stopped with a look. If the has to be arms race, we should have the biggest deterrent possible.

E.D.S.

I wouldn't mind him in our team at all.

I was pleased with last night. The last 5 minutes of the period were unacceptable from a standards point of view. Shipping those goals with so much ease - where was the time out?

Some real positives was our ability, at times to make one and even two line changes whilst maintaining pressure in the offensive zone. Something I haven't seen in a long long time - against a team that has big aggressive D men. Ully is worth his spot on the first line. I hope he keeps it. I said it before and I'll say it again... this team needs players like Ully and Crandall firing and that is most definitely happening.

E.D.S.

Dops give dundee stars mckay 2 game ban cross checking. Fines for 4 players at scrimmage at end batch and Cox.. Allen and brittain
May be we can get some decent highlights now DOPs have sifted through it all - Please!

Again though, a cross check to the head, 2 games. A check in to the board for Chad, 3 games. Where's the logic? and the comment from DOPs "it wasn't designed to harm or injure his opponent".... a cross check to the head wasn't designed to harm a player? What was it designed for then?? Idiots! At no point does he lower his stick to cross check to Waller's body. He started at head height and finished at head height. There is no mitigation. 2 games is a madness.

Last edited:
May be we can get some decent highlights now DOPs have sifted through it all - Please!

Again though, a cross check to the head, 2 games. A check in to the board for Chad, 3 games. Where's the logic? and the comment from DOPs "it wasn't designed to harm or injure his opponent".... a cross check to the head wasn't designed to harm a player? What was it designed for then?? Idiots! At no point does he lower his stick to cross check to Waller's body. He started at head height and finished at head height. There is no mitigation. 2 games is a madness.
Agreed , though in many ways it’s actually worse than that. His stick starts on the ice so he actually takes it off the ice to make the cross check . The very definition of intentional and when aimed at the back of the head neck has a high probability of injury if not serious injury . I’ve no idea what the latest on Josh is but it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s missing tonight due to concussion protocols.

E.D.S.

Agreed , though in many ways it’s actually worse than that. His stick starts on the ice so he actually takes it off the ice to make the cross check . The very definition of intentional and when aimed at the back of the head neck has a high probability of injury if not serious injury . I’ve no idea what the latest on Josh is but it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s missing tonight due to concussion protocols.
Agreed. It just makes the DOPs explanation even more unfathomable. A clear stick to the head that wasn’t “designed to injure or cause harm”????? He must have meant to give him a little tickle with his stick instead. Silly me.

ASHIPP

While we may not need an enforcer like the ones of old we definitely need some more physicality and the odd bigger body.

We are so passive at the moment, we’ve got some great skilful, quick and agile players and it’s working when we get to play how we want but when we come up against the likes of Allen last night, Long, Lake & Garside at Belfast or some of the Steelers guys we have nothing…It’s not part of Batch’s game, Mosey getting in the mix like last night isn’t going to cut it, we haven’t seen a big Brandt hit for a few weeks.
No way Allen should have been allowed to get away with what he did last night until the 60th minute.
Where is Mark Louis when we need him (and in the past, often a word from Big Lou was enough for opposition players to curb it)....oh wait he's playing on a successful team managed by our ex-coach in the USA.

Last edited: