Devils Vs steelers - CC 1/4F - 14th Dec 22 - 19:30 FO - Part 2 Spectacular

osh

I've tried to post mini-game reviews of the games I have attended where I have tried to be as honest at possible. This includes pointing out the good and the bad. Maybe you missed them as I seem to be fortunate in mostly going to games we win and so the threads on those tend to be 2 or 3 pages long.

Early in the season I felt we were struggling to impose ourself offensively. The PP in particular was driving me mad.
Our offense has improved and whilst I personally would still like to see our PP change slightly it has improved a lot.
In recent weeks our biggest issue has been defensively. And that goes for team defence, not just the defencemen. Failing to clear the zone, decision making.

It's very frustrating because when we do the simple things right we are successful.

In terms of coaching, I've previously been in the fortunate position of seeing how Lord and Skalde worked behind the scenes. Lord was massively into every stat possible and the smallest detail on video. Skalde wasn't. I was shocked at the time that the club had gone from one extreme to the other but assumed it was the club wanting to go down a different path.
From what Kelman apparently said in the Q&A it would seem that the lack of attention to detail was one of the reasons why Skalde was released?

This season I haven't been able to commit myself to as much on game nights and so haven't seen any of Dupont's coaching behind the scenes. My gut feeling though is that we have improved our style of play offensively over the season.

Would I be happy to see Dupont here next season? I guess so. I have less issues with the style of play we are trying to play under Dupont compared to what we were trying to play under Skalde.
I was willing to give Skalde a year or so to get used to the league and am willing to do that with Dupont. People on here seem to forget that Lord didn't win the league in his first season. I'd have to check but my gut feeling was that we were off the pace for much of the season and very inconsistent. We then had a great run which put us in within touching distance of Sheffield. Beat them in the CC Final but then pretty much collapsed and our season ended up disappoingly.
I think the second season was similar with fans demanding Lord be sacked as he was never going to win us the league title.

But he did. And ultimately Kelman and Franny saw enough first hand to back him.
Whilst I don't expect Kelman to say publically anything other than they back him - last season with Skalde showed that if they aren't happy they will make changes. Lots of critics previously said that Lord should be sacked but Todd was too loyal. Well, last season rubbished that argument.
I'm not sure of the point in firing someone for the sake of it and hoping the next guy is better, as if they're not you're back to square one.
Ultimately Todd and Franny have done enough since taking over to have my full confidence. It might just be that we are in an early transition stage like we did under Lord and we won't see the total domination we all crave for another season or so.
Appreciate your thoughts…..seems you are in the minority regarding DuPont i.e happy to keep him next season.

Rempel16

I can’t remember the exact detail from Lord's first season in 14-15, but we struggled at the start - not surprisingly given that the team was formed within 6 weeks that previous summer. We then went on a lengthy unbeaten run, which got us back into contention for the league and resulted in us winning the CC in Sheffield. If we hadn’t partied so hard after that game (understandable as it was big win!), then we wouldn’t have been mauled 12-1 or whatever it was the following game in Sheffield (from memory) and would have won the league title too in that year. The play offs, well I’ve never been particularly bothered since the new format was introduced, it’s a mockery and anyone can win those, as we proved last year. But do you know what, it didn’t really bother me that we didn’t win the league that first year under Lord because that team was coached and played the style of hockey that Cardiff fans love to see - hard nose, physical, tough, with everyone having each others backs but with some style and skill thrown in for good measure too. I accept that the BBT played it’s part then too, the perfect size pad for that team. In all my years of watching the Devils, that was one of my favourite teams - and despite what you say, I can’t remember many, if any, calling for Lord to go back then. It was a great time, with the Devils playing the Devils way after so much shit in the Ragan years (which you know all about!) - which is a million miles from the inconsistent garbage that’s been served up this year and last. Let’s not even compare that 14-15 team with this gutless lot, please. It’s an insult to them.
This.

I don't want to dominate every game like Finny puts it.

But I do want a team that will leave it all out there, with every player willing to go through a brick wall for each other. If I see 100% committed hockey and the opposition knowing that they'll have to scrap for every inch of the ice in our barn then the result doesn't matter so much for me.

Finny

What are the rules on injury reserve this season? I can’t find any press release in the summer from the EIHL on placing players on injury reserve this year, just a release in May on game night roster sizes being increased to 20. Todd never mentioned anything about an IR list/de-registering players at the Q&A. Does it even exist this year? Because if it doesn't then there is no issue in signing spare players, as long as you’re within the agreed salary cap. Connolly was a heathy scratch vs Devils a few games ago, played last night - so they must be carrying a spare surely? Anyone got a link to the EIHL press release highlighting IR rules in 22/23?
They haven't been as clear about it this year as they were last.
The roster rules do mention it briefly though, along with the increase in max imports you can sign of 20 (outside IR)
https://www.eliteleague.co.uk/article/2406-gameday-roster-size-increased-to-20

moggy#9

That's not too hard to believe is it?

Guildford have for the past couple of years gone down the route of signing players straight from college. A gamble, but a comparatively cheap option.
It's not always worked for them, but by keeping hold of a couple of successes from previous seasons it's looking like this time it is working.

In previous seasons the likes of us, Belfast and Sheffield might have gone out and made a couple of extra signings and blown them out the water - but that's not possible with the wagecap.

Personally, I think the best thing for the EIHL would be for Guildford to win the league.
I agree that it would be popular among fans outside the big 3. I do however feel sorry for them in that the changes to the chl and their rink might steal their opportunity of the spotlight, in the way we were denied because the iihf preferred the MEN to the wnir.

august04 2.0

They haven't been as clear about it this year as they were last.
The roster rules do mention it briefly though, along with the increase in max imports you can sign of 20 (outside IR)
https://www.eliteleague.co.uk/article/2406-gameday-roster-size-increased-to-20
That’s all I could find too. If there is one, surely details would have been published? If details have not been released, then we can only assume that there isn’t one, because it’s quite a big deal! If that is the case, it explains why some have been carrying extra bodies and chopping and changing who starts.

Finny

That’s all I could find too. If there is one, surely details would have been published? If details have not been released, then we can only assume that there isn’t one, because it’s quite a big deal! If that is the case, it explains why some have been carrying extra bodies and chopping and changing who starts.
I think Sheffield put someone on IR early in the season?
I'm guessing the fact that they mention it in the PR means that IR is in place this season and the rules are the same as last time?

There's no point in putting anyone on IR until there is someone to replace them with though?

Coughler seems to be day to day. If we put him on IR and he suddenly gets over his injury then we still have to keep him out for 21 days.
I take you point about having someone in place to put someone on IR but that wasn’t my point.
I was pointing out that we haven’t put anyone on IR so it’s unlikely we’ll get in some injury cover.

Since you mentioned Coughler, the club may describe him as day to day now, but he’s been out injured for 5 weeks already and if he doesn’t play this weekend it’ll be 7 weeks by the Boxing day game.
So I ask the question, should he have been put on IR weeks ago?

kettdevil1

I take you point about having someone in place to put someone on IR but that wasn’t my point.
I was pointing out that we haven’t put anyone on IR so it’s unlikely we’ll get in some injury cover.

Since you mentioned Coughler, the club may describe him as day to day now, but he’s been out injured for 5 weeks already and if he doesn’t play this weekend it’ll be 7 weeks by the Boxing day game.
So I ask the question, should he have been put on IR weeks ago?
In hindsight yes but given the nature of his injury I can understand their reluctance. He might well be back Saturday or we might not see him again this season, that's the frustration. Much easier when you have (say) a broken ankle where there is a clear timeframe for recovery.

I share a lot of the frustration of others about not bringing in reinforcements but IR is tricky to manage given the fact that you can't just switch people in and out.

BostonBart22

Unless it’s another classic EIHL”gentleman’s agreement”!
Thats the one gentlemans agreemant....yeah right.....fox..keefe, must be laughing their socks off over that....get an accountant in to check their wage bills and i mean the real wage bills, not the ones where accomidation and cars and expenses are included...if there was a wage cap announced by the lge , where is it ?..all a load of balls, these bigger arena clubs know the likes of smaller lge clubs, aint got the money in the coffers and still break wage caps..todd goes on about breaking the limit, so what is the effing limit, NO THERE ISNT ONE AS ITS BOLLOCKS...Soz for rant but we are being shafted big time buy the clubs with a bottomless cashpot...just saying..

august04 2.0

If it does still exist, I hope they reconsider the IR list next season with such lengthy de-registration times. As kettdevil says, it’s all well and good to have and much easier to manage with a defined injury of known recovery time but that’s not always the case and it’s put us at a disadvantage here, if indeed it’s still in place. Replace it with a slightly more realistic and enforceable salary cap (with point deduction penalties if teams go above the cap - we can but dream!), which could allow teams to be a little more flexible in their recruitment.

lloyd_jeff

Right but there's probably at least a dozen viewings for each house. So very hard to secure one. The housing shortage is crazy. 125 houses is an insanely low number for a city the size of Cardiff.
I was being a bit sarcastic because an organisation like the Devils not purchasing at least 3 properties to house players would be a bit weird. Why pay rent when a mortgage is far cheaper, it’s a tax benefit, has investment potential and negates the problem of finding suitable accommodation in the future. Maybe I’m completely wrong & they haven’t ;)

Samael

.todd goes on about breaking the limit, so what is the effing limit, NO THERE ISNT ONE AS ITS BOLLOCKS...Soz for rant but we are being shafted big time buy the clubs with a bottomless cashpot...just saying..
I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just genuinely confused by this statement above, how are we as fans being shafted by the club? It really doesn't matter if the weekly wage bill is £500k or £500, that is nothing to do with us. We see what the club signs before the league starts and it's up to us as fans if we want to invest the money to watch the roster the club puts out there. I do feel sorry for season ticket holders this year though as very few predicted this season was going to be such a rollercoaster train crash of crap and lots of us, myself included thought we would be pushing for honours, but you cant win em all.

lloyd_jeff

Why doesn’t the league publish the “rules”, well its not rocket science why they don’t.
As for Lord, Skalde, Dupont, or Roland Rat coaching it’s not going to be an instant success. There needs to be an admittance of incompetence, not to fans but to themselves, address the issues, work on solutions & start making improvements, at the very least try. To publicly dismiss what is blindingly obvious is just insulting & reeks of self entitlement, the previous success will erode pretty quickly with that attitude.
As a fan who does make it to most games & has for many many many years, that is soon going to be a past tense statement, it’s simply a waste of money. Ive been critical of fans leaving any sports venue early, the thought of people calling themselves “fans” when only attending the good times made me nauseous. But here I am, unfortunately.
Is the salary cap to blame, Todd is the main supporter of it, since the league and club woes of 2003 in which Belfast was amongst the clubs in serious financial issues Todd has since becoming a GM made it a priority to retain the cap. Yet it’s pretty obvious it’s either being ignored or doesn’t exsist. Something needs to be rectified, transparent rules & defined penalties or just plain honest agreements. Without the whole league playing the same tune, it’s almost certainly going to bite back.
I’ve lost the small amount of respect l had for Todd, him coming from Belfast, almost as bad as having that fat 8wat from Steelers. Under Lords coaching from day one his passion and shear gut tearing enthusiasm for the Devils as a player was transferred, like others have stated, he had that Devils ethos, the players echoed that. Within 2 yr two under Lord, l started noticing it slowly being drained, every year more people started talking about the lack of fight, lack of physical play, lack of passion up too Lords departure, now it’s been fully flushed away. That l blame on Todd, the businessman, not the player, unfortunately.

Kevlar68

I think the reason for some fans not warming to Dupont is that he didn't burn up the ice when he played for us, then he hardly played for us only 19 games, then won the CC and next thing he's head coach for this season.
Compared to other players/coaches we've had in reality the fans hardly know the guy so no one has a real connection with him and now we're in the place we are hardly anyone has confidence in him.
The days have gone where we would brush shoulders with our players and coach on a regular basis so we had connections with them, now players come, play and go so they may as well be strangers we pass on the street. This seasons new players i wouldn't recognise if they came up and asked me for my autograph :D

Hedd Wyn John

I was being a bit sarcastic because an organisation like the Devils not purchasing at least 3 properties to house players would be a bit weird. Why pay rent when a mortgage is far cheaper, it’s a tax benefit, has investment potential and negates the problem of finding suitable accommodation in the future. Maybe I’m completely wrong & they haven’t ;)
I don't know the ins and outs but shelling out 300-400K on a house to bring in a player they may or may not be able to secure isn't a small investment. Besides if you signed for the house today you're looking at 3 months minimum before being able to pick up the keys.

kingmo19.1

Wage cap
Why doesn’t the league publish the “rules”, well its not rocket science why they don’t.
As for Lord, Skalde, Dupont, or Roland Rat coaching it’s not going to be an instant success. There needs to be an admittance of incompetence, not to fans but to themselves, address the issues, work on solutions & start making improvements, at the very least try. To publicly dismiss what is blindingly obvious is just insulting & reeks of self entitlement, the previous success will erode pretty quickly with that attitude.
As a fan who does make it to most games & has for many many many years, that is soon going to be a past tense statement, it’s simply a waste of money. Ive been critical of fans leaving any sports venue early, the thought of people calling themselves “fans” when only attending the good times made me nauseous. But here I am, unfortunately.
Is the salary cap to blame, Todd is the main supporter of it, since the league and club woes of 2003 in which Belfast was amongst the clubs in serious financial issues Todd has since becoming a GM made it a priority to retain the cap. Yet it’s pretty obvious it’s either being ignored or doesn’t exsist. Something needs to be rectified, transparent rules & defined penalties or just plain honest agreements. Without the whole league playing the same tune, it’s almost certainly going to bite back.
I’ve lost the small amount of respect l had for Todd, him coming from Belfast, almost as bad as having that fat 8wat from Steelers. Under Lords coaching from day one his passion and shear gut tearing enthusiasm for the Devils as a player was transferred, like others have stated, he had that Devils ethos, the players echoed that. Within 2 yr two under Lord, l started noticing it slowly being drained, every year more people started talking about the lack of fight, lack of physical play, lack of passion up too Lords departure, now it’s been fully flushed away. That l blame on Todd, the businessman, not the player, unfortunately.
That last paragraph is pure Mazzoak !!!!!

lloyd_jeff

I don't know the ins and outs but shelling out 300-400K on a house to bring in a player they may or may not be able to secure isn't a small investment. Besides if you signed for the house today you're looking at 3 months minimum before being able to pick up the keys.
Hmmmm. Now we are getting into complicated areas of opinion.

I’m not a fan of running the club as a retirement resort for old timers to bring their families. Ideally I’d like young talented, hungry players less than 30 who are happy in a shared apartment. I’m not a fan of family men playing, they’ve mostly been missing in games, makes doing the school run difficult with an injury.
A house in 2015 is worth significantly more now, so a healthy average, off the top of my head, would be worth 25% ish more today than then, pretty good investment. Also you’d pay the mortgage with rent income charged to the Company, so it wouldn’t cost the investor. You’ve heard the term, money makes money, it’s why many business owners invest in property, especially professional sports clubs, let’s not get to bogged down talking who’s right or wrong though. If you are happy that Todd isn’t feeding people a line, fine.

moggy#9

I think the reason for some fans not warming to Dupont is that he didn't burn up the ice when he played for us, then he hardly played for us only 19 games, then won the CC and next thing he's head coach for this season.
Compared to other players/coaches we've had in reality the fans hardly know the guy so no one has a real connection with him and now we're in the place we are hardly anyone has confidence in him.
The days have gone where we would brush shoulders with our players and coach on a regular basis so we had connections with them, now players come, play and go so they may as well be strangers we pass on the street. This seasons new players i wouldn't recognise if they came up and asked me for my autograph :D
I wouldn't say that not being enthused by Dupont was necessarily about his playing. I personally felt that it was far too soon, for him and for the club, for him to be thrown in the deep end. Also during the games he was in charge last season, he did little to change skalde's systems and really didn't show any variation or Innovation in tight spots. I personally think everyone would have been better served with him having at least another year as an assistant. For the club, where it is now, we need a coach who will either get players playing to his system or, if they're not capable of that, find a system that worked with what he has. There doesn't seem to be any signs of him knowing what to do.