Devils Vs steelers - CC 1/4F - 14th Dec 22 - 19:30 FO - Part 2 Spectacular

kingmo19.1

I think we might be sticking with DuPont for some time! If Todd sacked him now then that basically alludes to 2 rather poor coaching appointments made in the past few years - and whose responsibility is it to hire a coach ????

DuPont by default probably finds himself in a rather strong and protected position at the moment!

Todd said they spent the wage cap to within £100 or so a week. If someone gets let go or put on the IR list we can only spend the value of the released/injured player on a replacement, so we can't just go and get an NHL'r to fix everything.
But we haven’t put anyone on IR or released anyone so there’s little prospect of getting any injury cover.
Signing an ex NHLer will not fix this, it’s much deeper and more fundamental, we can’t fix this with a player that we don’t have, we can only fix this with the players that we do!
And these are the WRONG players!

I don't think you would say that to his face
I would no problem , he 6ft 5 and is made of glass and if he had the heart of vother and his passion then I wouldn't be saying this .His job is to be a power forward to protect your team mates no matter, throw some hits and chip in with the odd goals and basically be a nuisance in front of the keeper when on a pp.What does he offer now? I'm asking you?

jenks33

I think we might be sticking with DuPont for some time! If Todd sacked him now then that basically alludes to 2 rather poor coaching appointments made in the past few years - and whose responsibility is it to hire a coach ????

DuPont by default probably finds himself in a rather strong and protected position at the moment!
If they are continuing with Dupont next season (whether he deserves it or not) I hope they give him the freedom to sign the roster he wants. Todd/Steve/Franny will always have a say/recommend a few players but Dupont wasn’t happy with this roster from day one in my opinion. If you look back at his interviews in August he wanted bigger bodies and he didn’t speak with much confidence in this roster for me.
That’s not an excuse for some of these poor performances. He’s still got enough talent there to be getting more out of them than we’re seeing but if they are giving him another season then let him get his players in.

lloyd_jeff

I was thinking the same. Todd said it was difficult finding the right players at the moment. They haven't replaced Coughler because they've been expecting him back each week & Todd also said they can't really bring in a player with a family because they can't get hold out a house to rent in Cardiff.

Just went on Rightmove, currently 125 2-4 bed houses for rent in Cardiff alone. If that’s not enough maybe try Barry or Penarth.

jenks33

Jardine's on +6 in the last 10 games according to eliteprospects. I'd certainly have him back.
Jardine’s a tricky one. I don’t think he’s been right physically from day one this season. If we’re basing it on his performances I wouldn’t have him back next season but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s been playing injured all season. If he can get himself healthy over the summer I’d have him back. He’s definitely a top player at this level, I just don’t think he’s been fit and healthy.

Last edited:

Hedd Wyn John

Just went on Rightmove, currently 125 2-4 bed houses for rent in Cardiff alone. If that’s not enough maybe try Barry or Penarth.
Right but there's probably at least a dozen viewings for each house. So very hard to secure one. The housing shortage is crazy. 125 houses is an insanely low number for a city the size of Cardiff.

Finny

Nothing to say about the poor quality Devils fans are being offered so far this season ?
A few questions for you Finny…would you be happy to see Dupont here next season ?
What are his strengths as a coach ?

As for DuPont being sacked mid season…it’s happened elsewhere and personally I would let him and his assistant go and get someone like Martin to take on the role as player coach until the end of season. This would free up two wages and could be used to locate suitable playing reinforcements.
I've tried to post mini-game reviews of the games I have attended where I have tried to be as honest at possible. This includes pointing out the good and the bad. Maybe you missed them as I seem to be fortunate in mostly going to games we win and so the threads on those tend to be 2 or 3 pages long.

Early in the season I felt we were struggling to impose ourself offensively. The PP in particular was driving me mad.
Our offense has improved and whilst I personally would still like to see our PP change slightly it has improved a lot.
In recent weeks our biggest issue has been defensively. And that goes for team defence, not just the defencemen. Failing to clear the zone, decision making.

It's very frustrating because when we do the simple things right we are successful.

In terms of coaching, I've previously been in the fortunate position of seeing how Lord and Skalde worked behind the scenes. Lord was massively into every stat possible and the smallest detail on video. Skalde wasn't. I was shocked at the time that the club had gone from one extreme to the other but assumed it was the club wanting to go down a different path.
From what Kelman apparently said in the Q&A it would seem that the lack of attention to detail was one of the reasons why Skalde was released?

This season I haven't been able to commit myself to as much on game nights and so haven't seen any of Dupont's coaching behind the scenes. My gut feeling though is that we have improved our style of play offensively over the season.

Would I be happy to see Dupont here next season? I guess so. I have less issues with the style of play we are trying to play under Dupont compared to what we were trying to play under Skalde.
I was willing to give Skalde a year or so to get used to the league and am willing to do that with Dupont. People on here seem to forget that Lord didn't win the league in his first season. I'd have to check but my gut feeling was that we were off the pace for much of the season and very inconsistent. We then had a great run which put us in within touching distance of Sheffield. Beat them in the CC Final but then pretty much collapsed and our season ended up disappoingly.
I think the second season was similar with fans demanding Lord be sacked as he was never going to win us the league title.

But he did. And ultimately Kelman and Franny saw enough first hand to back him.
Whilst I don't expect Kelman to say publically anything other than they back him - last season with Skalde showed that if they aren't happy they will make changes. Lots of critics previously said that Lord should be sacked but Todd was too loyal. Well, last season rubbished that argument.
I'm not sure of the point in firing someone for the sake of it and hoping the next guy is better, as if they're not you're back to square one.
Ultimately Todd and Franny have done enough since taking over to have my full confidence. It might just be that we are in an early transition stage like we did under Lord and we won't see the total domination we all crave for another season or so.

Jardine’s a tricky one. I don’t think he’s been right physically from day one this season. If we’re basing it on his performances I wouldn’t have him back next season but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s been playing injured all season. If he can get himself healthy over the summer I’d have him back. He’s definitely a top player at this level, I just don’t think he’s been fit and healthy.
In my opinion in the first few weeks of the season Jardine was our best performing import but his form has taken a hit since.
I believe he has been playing hurt since October, the fully fit version I would take next season no problem.
Have we made his injury worse by overplaying him?
Quite possibly.

Jardine is -1 over the last 5 league games he’s been dressed for.

His points for is also at a 0.2ppg, which is low for him historically. Only 2.2 shots per game, with two thirds of those shots being on goal.

That being said, he is definitely injured and so I think a small recent sample is probably a tiny bit harsh.

Finny

But we haven’t put anyone on IR or released anyone so there’s little prospect of getting any injury cover.
There's no point in putting anyone on IR until there is someone to replace them with though?

Coughler seems to be day to day. If we put him on IR and he suddenly gets over his injury then we still have to keep him out for 21 days.

Finny

Todd said they spent the wage cap to within £100 or so a week. If someone gets let go or put on the IR list we can only spend the value of the released/injured player on a replacement, so we can't just go and get an NHL'r to fix everything.
Thanks.
In which case it sounds like we're unlikely to get an extra body other than to cover a long-term injury. And if we do bring in someone we're likely to have to release someone.

Finny

So if that’s the case , we have spent the same as Guildford, bloody hell
That's not too hard to believe is it?

Guildford have for the past couple of years gone down the route of signing players straight from college. A gamble, but a comparatively cheap option.
It's not always worked for them, but by keeping hold of a couple of successes from previous seasons it's looking like this time it is working.

In previous seasons the likes of us, Belfast and Sheffield might have gone out and made a couple of extra signings and blown them out the water - but that's not possible with the wagecap.

Personally, I think the best thing for the EIHL would be for Guildford to win the league.

august04 2.0

I've tried to post mini-game reviews of the games I have attended where I have tried to be as honest at possible. This includes pointing out the good and the bad. Maybe you missed them as I seem to be fortunate in mostly going to games we win and so the threads on those tend to be 2 or 3 pages long.

Early in the season I felt we were struggling to impose ourself offensively. The PP in particular was driving me mad.
Our offense has improved and whilst I personally would still like to see our PP change slightly it has improved a lot.
In recent weeks our biggest issue has been defensively. And that goes for team defence, not just the defencemen. Failing to clear the zone, decision making.

It's very frustrating because when we do the simple things right we are successful.

In terms of coaching, I've previously been in the fortunate position of seeing how Lord and Skalde worked behind the scenes. Lord was massively into every stat possible and the smallest detail on video. Skalde wasn't. I was shocked at the time that the club had gone from one extreme to the other but assumed it was the club wanting to go down a different path.
From what Kelman apparently said in the Q&A it would seem that the lack of attention to detail was one of the reasons why Skalde was released?

This season I haven't been able to commit myself to as much on game nights and so haven't seen any of Dupont's coaching behind the scenes. My gut feeling though is that we have improved our style of play offensively over the season.

Would I be happy to see Dupont here next season? I guess so. I have less issues with the style of play we are trying to play under Dupont compared to what we were trying to play under Skalde.
I was willing to give Skalde a year or so to get used to the league and am willing to do that with Dupont. People on here seem to forget that Lord didn't win the league in his first season. I'd have to check but my gut feeling was that we were off the pace for much of the season and very inconsistent. We then had a great run which put us in within touching distance of Sheffield. Beat them in the CC Final but then pretty much collapsed and our season ended up disappoingly.
I think the second season was similar with fans demanding Lord be sacked as he was never going to win us the league title.

But he did. And ultimately Kelman and Franny saw enough first hand to back him.
Whilst I don't expect Kelman to say publically anything other than they back him - last season with Skalde showed that if they aren't happy they will make changes. Lots of critics previously said that Lord should be sacked but Todd was too loyal. Well, last season rubbished that argument.
I'm not sure of the point in firing someone for the sake of it and hoping the next guy is better, as if they're not you're back to square one.
Ultimately Todd and Franny have done enough since taking over to have my full confidence. It might just be that we are in an early transition stage like we did under Lord and we won't see the total domination we all crave for another season or so.
I can’t remember the exact detail from Lord's first season in 14-15, but we struggled at the start - not surprisingly given that the team was formed within 6 weeks that previous summer. We then went on a lengthy unbeaten run, which got us back into contention for the league and resulted in us winning the CC in Sheffield. If we hadn’t partied so hard after that game (understandable as it was big win!), then we wouldn’t have been mauled 12-1 or whatever it was the following game in Sheffield (from memory) and would have won the league title too in that year. The play offs, well I’ve never been particularly bothered since the new format was introduced, it’s a mockery and anyone can win those, as we proved last year. But do you know what, it didn’t really bother me that we didn’t win the league that first year under Lord because that team was coached and played the style of hockey that Cardiff fans love to see - hard nose, physical, tough, with everyone having each others backs but with some style and skill thrown in for good measure too. I accept that the BBT played it’s part then too, the perfect size pad for that team. In all my years of watching the Devils, that was one of my favourite teams - and despite what you say, I can’t remember many, if any, calling for Lord to go back then. It was a great time, with the Devils playing the Devils way after so much shit in the Ragan years (which you know all about!) - which is a million miles from the inconsistent garbage that’s been served up this year and last. Let’s not even compare that 14-15 team with this gutless lot, please. It’s an insult to them.

august04 2.0

There's no point in putting anyone on IR until there is someone to replace them with though?

Coughler seems to be day to day. If we put him on IR and he suddenly gets over his injury then we still have to keep him out for 21 days.
What are the rules on injury reserve this season? I can’t find any press release in the summer from the EIHL on placing players on injury reserve this year, just a release in May on game night roster sizes being increased to 20. Todd never mentioned anything about an IR list/de-registering players at the Q&A. Does it even exist this year? Because if it doesn't then there is no issue in signing spare players, as long as you’re within the agreed salary cap. Connolly was a heathy scratch vs Devils a few games ago, played last night - so they must be carrying a spare surely? Anyone got a link to the EIHL press release highlighting IR rules in 22/23?

Last edited: