Devils Vs steelers - CC 1/4F - 14th Dec 22 - 19:30 FO - Part 2 Spectacular

W

I don't think anybody does expect that....every player has a role on the team, whether it be scoring, setting up the attack, pk strengths etc.
The big question is do they each understand their roles and are they capable of executing them. If there is poor communication in instructions given then mistakes are going to be made.

The success of previous Devils teams was due to a combination of factors...individual skill, group chemistry, good communication, a coach who was meticulous with preparation. Players seemed to understand their on ice roles.

Think this year can be virtually written off now. Let the players recover from injury and at least make the home games entertaining and intense, irrespective time of the result.....that is what the fans have paid for.

Would like to see Harewood and Kelly fully integrated as full time Devils next season. And why not? Some of the other EIHL teams are already playing far less experienced British players on their roster.

Would also like to see how Dupont can influence recruitment for next season and make some bold and brave changes. He also needs a very very experienced Assistant Coach on the bench and in training with him. Clearly the young rookie assistant coach experiment has not worked.
No coincidence that Jamie Elson and Franny were both very instrumental in Andrew Lord's early support and development as a coach.
I'd keep Dupont because i 100% don't think he recruited this team apart from horn is assistant which I think is a waste of money ,the rest of the team I think was kelman and Franny.let's hope we have a more balanced team with skill,toughness and passion next year .I'm still haunted by Franny speech at stampede signing video about Powderpuff brittain, which I can't believe is still here.

Last edited:

Samael

I'd keep Dupont because i 100% don't think he recruited this team apart from horn is assistant which I think is a waste of money ,the rest of the team I think was kelman and Franny.let's hope we are a more balanced team with skill,toughness and passion.
I agree, l dont think he had any say on the new signings. I think they'll keep him on too for two reasons; He's probably a lot cheaper than Skalde was and he does as he's told and doesn't clash with Kelman.

Retaining him though, l think, based on what we've seen so far this year is a mistake. His tactics are one dimensional, he struggles to motivate the team and get consistent results and his post game interviews and insights are laughably bad. I'd rather listen to the shite Thommo spouted than DuPont's cliche'd analysis of why we are so bad, you know.

No, he needs to go or be bumped down to assistant. As harsh as it sounds saying that as l'm sure he's a great guy behind the scenes (so nice in fact a lot of the team would appear to be taking the piss out of him), he's not ready for the head coach's role at Cardiff and giving him a chequebook and free reign to build his own team is a gamble l would not take if l was holding the purse strings.

Samael

I’ve been told that Brittain was most definitely a DuPont signing!
Played together at Norfolk Admirals.
If this is true then and DuPont gets another year l think that says a lot about our future intent. Coventry Blaze 2.0, tight budget hockey with a massive skidmark of mediocrity. Not so much 3build more like infinibuild.

But never mind l'm sure we'll all tune in for another summit stream next summer and fall for the hype.

Hedd Wyn John

Then we go back to why aren't the club bringing in reinforcements?
I was thinking the same. Todd said it was difficult finding the right players at the moment. They haven't replaced Coughler because they've been expecting him back each week & Todd also said they can't really bring in a player with a family because they can't get hold out a house to rent in Cardiff.

osh

Thought I’d go to last nights game in the hope that the team might have been inspired by watching a video of our previous ‘great comeback results’ ! I can only agree with so many other posters that we really do have a poor team this season. I’m no coach, but let’s face it, DuPont has the team playing systems that baffles me ( and the players by the look of things ) It’s plain to see that we need an injection of a couple of players - not only to cover for injuries - but to stimulate the others who seem to be merely going through the motions at times. But as we are told ‘there is no one out there suitable‘ we have to press on with what we have got ! What is also plain to see - for me at least - is that the general quality playing standard of the EIHL overall has dropped significantly since pre Covid days. It is obvious that whosoever ( coach / management ?? ) put this team together has made big mistakes and will need to have a good look at themselves and make drastic changes in the off season in order to ensure the fans continue to support them.

E.D.S.

When you look at it we are a 5th placed team (I think that's where we'll end up, I know we're 4th).... we have players who belong in a 5th placed team, we've recruited a 5th placed team, we have an inexperienced coach who didn't really cut it as a player here coaching these players, we have injuries, we lack leadership. Last night is what happens when a 5th placed team plays a team above them. I get that. I understand that result was probably on the cards but here's the broken record bit.... I can't stand losing without a fight. Without passion.

Brandt... has fight and has passion, he is clearly injured. He's not throwing his bombs any more as it probably hurts like hell and risks more injury but.... he still takes a fight. Against a bigger guy. Brandt isn't going to get you 50 goals a season. He may not even hit double figures but he's isn't a problem. I'd go as far as to say he isn't anything to do with the problem.

My ultimate frustration this year is.... where is the accountability? Who is putting their hands up and saying this isn't good enough and I will change it? Dupont's post game interviews are soulless. We got tanked by Belfast - no apology from him or the organisation but instead Dupont acknowledged that our powerplay was improving (WTaF!!), Todd has a Q&A and talks about "frustration", the owners are "too busy" (but they'd be on here telling us about their planned visit if we were in the Challenge Cup Final) who is ultimately carrying the can for this? Who isn't doing their job?

In no other walk of life would you be able to carry on in your position - player, coach, dinner lady, postman - if you were achieving the results this team is now? But in this "professional sport" and this team it is not only accepted but actively promoted by not making any changes.

Bring in all of the 2 ways, sit the underperforming players out. What's the worst that can happen? We concede 9??? I can live with that or alternatively we can just do absolutely nothing and hope for a better outcome - I'm sure some clever fella once called that the "definition of madness."

Wannabe2

This team do show effort, but unfortunately as a team they are very poor and just not good enough, we have no passion, no backbone, no heart, this team certainly wouldn’t go thru a wall for each other, they don’t bond and I certainly think they think they are better than they actually are. Effort is there but they are so crap to watch, that lousy performance last night was like watching a training session, then they have the audacity to show some passion late into the game when it’s lost and gone. Too many players with very small hearts and lousy talent, as for our organisation it’s true they certainly are as dedicated and as pissed off as us, who wouldn’t be and they have actively been scouting for players but it’s pretty dry out there apparently. No business want to hear their customers are pissed off with the product they are buying, as that’s bad business, recruitment wise this season has been shit compared to passed seasons and our owners hockey people see that as do we. I went last night unfortunately and believe me it was a chore to even go, a chore to watch my team my club play against our arch rivals, what a shit statement to make about a club you love, going out of habit, going out of seeing mates, and going with the little last bit of hope that we may just turn up, which we did but for only the first 41 seconds of the game, and the dying embers of a lousy night. unfortunately no one except Merlin can turn crap into cream, and who’s to say players we want to return will want to after this seasons fiasco, it’s a great shame we can’t fast forward to August 2023. PISS POOR HOCKEY DAYS.

Rempel16

When you look at it we are a 5th placed team (I think that's where we'll end up, I know we're 4th)

Brandt... has fight and has passion, he is clearly injured. He's not throwing his bombs any more as it probably hurts like hell and risks more injury but.... he still takes a fight. Against a bigger guy. Brandt isn't going to get you 50 goals a season. He may not even hit double figures but he's isn't a problem. I'd go as far as to say he isn't anything to do with the problem.
Just to add to this... He also plays on the 4th line, who's primary role is to give the top lines a rest and not get scored on.

If there's a more value-for-money 4th liner who hits, fights and cares for the team as much as he does I'd love to hear about them.

I don't follow the sport anywhere near as closely as I used to, but I appreciate the effort you've put into this and are, it's an interesting way to look at the information and I guess problems with the team.

Please keep going with the stats for the forwards as I think that will be equally as interesting even if some other posters are quite happy to casually dismiss your efforts.
Appreciate that stats aren’t everyone’s idea of a fun way to spend your time, but I appreciate your comment.

I’m hoping by the new year to have the rest of the games built in for all players, which I’ll be able to update.

The bottom line on it is we concede too many goals, and it seems like everyone at the back is underperforming or performing inconsistently.

Doesn’t mean we need a change, but that’s definitely an option that should be considered. The other option is the guys improve.

Finny

A question for the people calling for Dupont to be sacked:

-Were you calling for Lord to be sacked in his first and second season - and if not what is the difference this time?

Kevin roog

A problem we have is that we will paper over the cracks and pick up 4 to 6 points this week against the 2 Scottish teams and storm next week , unfortunately we then gave 4 games against Coventry and Guildford

moggy#9

If we're in a position where money is tight, I can understand that. No one wants to see the collapse of 20 years ago again. As others have said, we don't necessarily win, but the team should try every night and entertain.

I also get that we might not have the mix of players we want. That might be true, but shouldn't the tactics reflect the players we have, not the ones we wish we did. If we have to resort to playing a trap, fine. Let's just make it hard for opponents.

Above all, I'd just like to see some honesty and pragmatism about the state of the team.

As the song says "you don't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you get what you need."

Finny

Other teams in the UK and EU have signed players this last 6 weeks.
Out of those players are there any you wish we had signed? Looking through one or two might be ok for injury cover - but I don't know if they have families and need their own accommodation?

Belfast are having arguably just as bad a time as us. They signed Josh Roach - but I don't think he has arrived yet? They also said they had signed a replacement for McAuley...but so far nothing.

I missed much of the Q&A but did Todd explain whether there was space in the wagecap for us to bring in someone else in addition or would we have to release players before bringing anyone else in?

osh

-Were you calling for Lord to be sacked in his first and second season - and if not what is the difference this time?
Nothing to say about the poor quality Devils fans are being offered so far this season ?
A few questions for you Finny…would you be happy to see Dupont here next season ?
What are his strengths as a coach ?

As for DuPont being sacked mid season…it’s happened elsewhere and personally I would let him and his assistant go and get someone like Martin to take on the role as player coach until the end of season. This would free up two wages and could be used to locate suitable playing reinforcements.

Diablo3

Out of those players are there any you wish we had signed? Looking through one or two might be ok for injury cover - but I don't know if they have families and need their own accommodation?

Belfast are having arguably just as bad a time as us. They signed Josh Roach - but I don't think he has arrived yet? They also said they had signed a replacement for McAuley...but so far nothing.

I missed much of the Q&A but did Todd explain whether there was space in the wagecap for us to bring in someone else in addition or would we have to release players before bringing anyone else in?
Todd said they spent the wage cap to within £100 or so a week. If someone gets let go or put on the IR list we can only spend the value of the released/injured player on a replacement, so we can't just go and get an NHL'r to fix everything.

Samael

I'm not calling for him to be sacked, l just don't want him in charge next season.

As for Lord, no I wasn't calling for him to be sacked for a bunch of reasons. 1. There was no expectation for him to succeed as we had not won any silverware in about a decade. 2. He was still playing and playing well. 3. The league was different with conferences and different teams 4. I wasn't sure if the owners and Kelman were still going to be here in 5 years let alone the coach.

I think the only time l was ever critical of Lordo was where we lost in Coventry one night, not the loss that cost us the league, it was another mid season game. He looked like he was close to tears as we had no 'jam' as he used to put it. His reaction annoyed me and l think l remarked at the time that now is not the time as a team to feel sorry for yourselves you should be going nuts in the locker room. I think it was the season we went on to win the league for the first time but l'm not 100%

Anyway the only advantage Lordo had over DuPont was zero expectation. DuPont likely has a bigger budget and also a more experienced md and ownership group behind him. He simply doesn't have the same winning attitude that Lord brought to Cardiff and last season's playoffs were a fluke built off the back of Skalde's recruitment anyway. I'd be delighted to be proven wrong, but that isnt going to happen regardless of the cc 'super final'.