Devils Vs steelers - League - 26th March 22

jenks33

I watched the game on premier sports. I appreciate we’re missing a few bodies at the moment but the boys had a week off and with just the one game this weekend I was expecting us to play with a lot more energy than that. I expected the Steelers to win a close game but it was too easy for them. I think we all feared at one stage that it was going to be 8 or 9 goals.

Regarding next seasons roster I’ve seen a few people say they’d be happy if every player returned. Personally I think there are several tough/brave decisions to make over the summer. Man for man I do like the majority of this seasons team but we are comfortably the 3rd best team in the league and if we brought back 80ish% of this team I think we’d be looking at a 3rd/4th place finish next year as well. I think we’ve got a few too many players that are brilliant on their day but lack consistency, which is obviously going to kill you if you’re hoping to win a league title.

I know some people will argue that it’s the first season in the UK for a lot of these players and if we stick with them they will come good. I’m not so sure tho, I think we’re probably lacking in every department apart from the goalies.

Kevin roog

There’s no way you could bring every player back, as you say , we would finish 3 or 4 th, what I don’t get and I’m not talking about the short benched last month, have a look at skaldes interviews right back to the start of the season , how many times has he said “we came out flat”

jenks33

There’s no way you could bring every player back, as you say , we would finish 3 or 4 th, what I don’t get and I’m not talking about the short benched last month, have a look at skaldes interviews right back to the start of the season , how many times has he said “we came out flat”
No of course every player won’t come back but i was just highlighting that if we’re too loyal we’ll just finish 3rd or 4th next season as well. If we bring 15 or 16 back i think that’s too many in my opinion. I’m thinking 12 or 13. And that’s where the tough/brave decisions come into play. To be fair there probably are 15/16 players that feel they should be back next season but if the goal is to win the league then we will need a few more changes than that. Belfast and Sheffield will strengthen again no doubt

Swarley

I think our D line is fine when it's full strength, our goal scoring definitely needs tuning up, Coughler, Cox, Reid, Waller they all have that tools to get points but something is definitely missing upfront for me

Kevin roog

No of course every player won’t come back but i was just highlighting that if we’re too loyal we’ll just finish 3rd or 4th next season as well. If we bring 15 or 16 back i think that’s too many in my opinion. I’m thinking 12 or 13. And that’s where the tough/brave decisions come into play. To be fair there probably are 15/16 players that feel they should be back next season but if the goal is to win the league then we will need a few more changes than that. Belfast and Sheffield will strengthen again no doubt
Yes I understand your point, I was talking about more the happy clappers on Twitter who want every player back and 10 new signings ,

Kevin roog

It’s McNally I don’t get, before Xmas in some games he was looking a hell of a player, hitting everything that moves , scoring goals on the pp near the crease, then he goes quite for way too many games and you don’t even notice he’s playing, perhaps it’s the bans he gets, there’s definitely a player there but I’m not sure I’d have him back

It’s McNally I don’t get, before Xmas in some games he was looking a hell of a player, hitting everything that moves , scoring goals on the pp near the crease, then he goes quite for way too many games and you don’t even notice he’s playing, perhaps it’s the bans he gets, there’s definitely a player there but I’m not sure I’d have him back
I agree, I reckon he's been told to slow down on the big hits and fights and concentrate more on the game.
I don't reckon we'll keep him next season but we'll have to wait and see.

Devil94

My guess is McNally is another carrying an injury.
I don't really like talking about next seasons players when there's still a trophy up for grabs, but there isn't an individual player that I wouldn't want back when looking at it just as individual players. It just depends where they fit in the puzzle next year, what other players become available, and what areas Skalds thinks he needs to change after seeing the league for a year (I would agree with a big power forward). Depends on the roster regulations too.

jenks33

My guess is McNally is another carrying an injury.
I don't really like talking about next seasons players when there's still a trophy up for grabs, but there isn't an individual player that I wouldn't want back when looking at it just as individual players. It just depends where they fit in the puzzle next year, what other players become available, and what areas Skalds thinks he needs to change after seeing the league for a year (I would agree with a big power forward). Depends on the roster regulations too.
Yeah I agree about not naming names yet. At the moment I want around 13 of this seasons roster back but I’ll name names when the season has finished. I also agree with your point that if you look at our roster man for man then I possibly want 15 or 16 back but I’m not sure 2 or 3 of our players are necessarily what you need to win the league over here. And as you said it does depend on roster regulations. Easier to bring 15/16 players back if the limit is 21. We won’t see 15/16 players back if the limit is 19.

Devil94

Yeah I agree about not naming names yet. At the moment I want around 13 of this seasons roster back but I’ll name names when the season has finished. I also agree with your point that if you look at our roster man for man then I possibly want 15 or 16 back but I’m not sure 2 or 3 of our players are necessarily what you need to win the league over here. And as you said it does depend on roster regulations. Easier to bring 15/16 players back if the limit is 21. We won’t see 15/16 players back if the limit is 19.

With player discussions surely underway for next season, I would hope that the clubs are already aware of the regulations, as they would make a huge difference as you say. It’s inevitable that a few players we would want back will go to other leagues or retire, but if we can keep 13+ that's a pretty good core to build on and tinker with for the years ahead.

Mazzoak

I think we’ve got too many ‘pretty’ players. It all looks a million dollars at times but when it comes down to it you need results and consistency. Need a few more players that get to the dirty areas
Next year we will need more money, that’s if there is more money, to make necessary changes work, we need more quality to build with those who’ve earned a place on next yrs squad. We will know when the team is released as spoken words are easy, we can say we aim to succeed every year, unfortunately that needs more than just words, coaching & punts.

moggy#9

Next year we will need more money, that’s if there is more money, to make necessary changes work, we need more quality to build with those who’ve earned a place on next yrs squad. We will know when the team is released as spoken words are easy, we can say we aim to succeed every year, unfortunately that needs more than just words, coaching & punts.
Fair point about money. Does anyone know what the duration of the sponsorship deal is. We'd need surely looking for a more high profile sponsor and a deal on arena naming rights. Hopefully, with a bit more certainty about next season, we can get some new partners on board.

One that worries me though is whether the lack of European hockey will impact our recruitment. For those of you immediately saying "what about the continental cup?", I don't see us winning the play offs, and obviously second place has gone, in the event of the league winners also getting the play offs.

pjj365

Fair point about money. Does anyone know what the duration of the sponsorship deal is. We'd need surely looking for a more high profile sponsor and a deal on arena naming rights. Hopefully, with a bit more certainty about next season, we can get some new partners on board.

One that worries me though is whether the lack of European hockey will impact our recruitment. For those of you immediately saying "what about the continental cup?", I don't see us winning the play offs, and obviously second place has gone, in the event of the league winners also getting the play offs.
Not sure about naming rights benefiting the Devils now the arena is owned by the Council - will they not try and recoup some of their investment?

Wannabe2

We have I believe 16 imports on our pay role, of which I would keep between 9-10, meaning if we keep to 14 imports between 4 and 5 new guys, and if more, then more new faces. After winning the play offs of course.