Devils Vs Storm - League - 24th Oct 2021

Devils86

After playing Thursday and Saturday Storm didn't look tired tonight so fair play to them. Springer was itching to get under anybody's skin and unfair Louis didn't get a real chance to go one-on-one, all very much 'over before it started'.

Ginn again had a good game and was rightly their MOM. That being said we seemed hesitant to put any pucks on net in the first period and it needed a proper rocket from Batchy to settle us down.

Have we done away with the goal officials this year? No flashing lights at either end, swear I have seen them this season.

Batch had a good game as did Register. Carruth could be in net still now and wouldn't concede, he was very good tonight. Bumping every corner for his first shut out.

Josh Lammon seemed to be on a mission like Davies is most games and both put in decent shifts - the latter is an incredible PK machine!

Thought Dugga did ok for his first game back. We did miss Goal Sanford though I think.

Nobody had a shocker and after the first goal it did have a much more relaxed and straightforward feel to it.

Panthers next week - we will need to up our game to come away with another 2 points

Devils86

This young player is super skilled and exciting to watch. He has the hockey I. Q. of a far more experienced player - he reads the game very well, knows where he needs to be, incredible speed and stick handling.
Agreed, in the last couple years we have discussed the First Line v Second Line etc but this year's roster does seem more fluid - with Waller benefiting from playing up the lines. Loads of promise, but unlike a lot of younger player who show potential this fella is getting points on the board! Great pick up!

Wannabe2

Very good game tonight, Waller really is something else, Ben had his best game so far, he was so good, the stripeys are ruining the game, it’s so rare to see two guys drop them now and when they do these friggin idiots spoil it for players and fans alike from the get go stop pissing off the fans idiots. Mac Carruth was untrue he is a bloody gem, our goal machine Reid was at it again, Storm played very well and their nettie was also untrue, amazing crowd tremendous atmosphere and a joyous game to watch.

Devil94

Hope Sanford will be back soon, Dupont didnt ice the third period so we could be 2 forwards down. Anyone know what happened to Dupont? He had a good first period.

Ben o'Connor was very good. Batchy superb. Ginn for them was also superb, big respect to the Storm for the way they played too. Very enjoyable game that one.

Welshy74

Hope Sanford will be back soon, Dupont didnt ice the third period so we could be 2 forwards down. Anyone know what happened to Dupont? He had a good first period.

Ben o'Connor was very good. Batchy superb. Ginn for them was also superb, big respect to the Storm for the way they played too. Very enjoyable game that one.
Think he got hit by a puck in the foot/ankle

What a game! I thought our shot management was much better. Good balance of just getting the puck on net and also knowing when to pass and try and set up a set-play. The breakouts were much more organised and it was great to see a bit of physicality. I have no idea what happened with the misconduct at the end but premier sports have mic’d up the referees so hopefully can listen back to that later.
I’d just like to say HOW good the atmosphere was inside the IAW. One of my favourite games there I think. Shoutout to block 3 who had some very very funny digs at the officials.

Mooney#16

Good game by all. As has been mentioned thought Ben O’Connor had a very good game. Used his skill when he needed to and concentrated on his defensive responsibilities keeping it simple. The player I am starting to really like is Trevor Cox. Thought he was going to be a goal scorer but that guy is a magician assists wise. His eye for a pass be it in close, rink wide or stretch is up there in terms of some of the best I’ve seen.

I’ve seen a few people raising their eyebrows at the major at the end but I think the refs called it sort of right. In a 3-0 game with 2.5 minutes to go why you would go that close to the Nettie in that manner is a bit boggling. I don’t think he did much wrong but that had the potential to proper kick of if he only got a two so I think they wanted him out of there more for his own safety. They could have given him a two plus two but I got what the refs were doing.

terry hunt

Left the game early as i was getting pissed off by several issues.
Covid precautions i thought were the best so far i wonder if Devils management have had a warning.Sadly we still have a sizeable element of the fanbase who seem to want the arena shut down.Fans removing masks all round the arena despite the best efforts of stewards.I am quite shocked by the stupidity of fans who tolerate people sat around them without masks.
The sponsors in Block 19 are taking the piss out of the club and the fans around them.I suggest Devils management remove the windows on the hospitality rooms and replace them with clear glass.They can then put a counter with seating so the game can be watched from inside.This would also release valuable seating for genuine fans.Give the sponsor a big board on the wall opposite as a replacement.
I would also like the club to sell the nutritional supplements they use to all the fans.It seems they give immunity from Covid19 and would be a valuable service to all the fans.
As far as the game goes i left after period1 from my limited expertise on ice hockey it looked like Slapshot/Trashers hockey.So called good old british hockey.The storm were intent on injuring/intimidating players to make up for their lack of skill/talent.
I respect Carruth for the number of times they ran him but he defends himself well ,Springer what a joke his trips,slashes.grabs on players were pathetic.I thought at one point hes was trying to take Davies's shirt off it would never fit him.Refereeing was rubbish the 2refs system doesnt work.
One good thing a got my new 17 Richardson shirt.

jenks33

Good game by all. As has been mentioned thought Ben O’Connor had a very good game. Used his skill when he needed to and concentrated on his defensive responsibilities keeping it simple. The player I am starting to really like is Trevor Cox. Thought he was going to be a goal scorer but that guy is a magician assists wise. His eye for a pass be it in close, rink wide or stretch is up there in terms of some of the best I’ve seen.

I’ve seen a few people raising their eyebrows at the major at the end but I think the refs called it sort of right. In a 3-0 game with 2.5 minutes to go why you would go that close to the Nettie in that manner is a bit boggling. I don’t think he did much wrong but that had the potential to proper kick of if he only got a two so I think they wanted him out of there more for his own safety. They could have given him a two plus two but I got what the refs were doing.
I’m a fan of Cox as well and I also like Crandall, I’ve been very impressed with their vision. Looking at the bigger picture though do you think it’s fair to say we’re still missing a goalscorer? As I said I like Cox and Crandall but they are both dishers. 5 games so far and 9 points between them which is great but no goals. If you look at their CV’s as well they are definitely pass first players.
Reid has got 9 goals so far which is above and beyond what’s expected of him but behind him there’s Waller and Sanford on 2. Waller is a young rookie and it goes without saying that he’s been outstanding so far. It would be very harsh to expect too much of him though over a full season though. I’m sure it isn’t the plan for Waller to be in our top 3 goalscorers this season.
Before I get criticised for being too negative there’s plenty to like about this team. Even at this early stage if somebody told me 13 or 14 of these players will be back next season that’s fine with me. It’s just glaringly obvious for me at the moment that we’re missing a goalscorer that’s going to take the pressure off Reid

moggy#9

I’m a fan of Cox as well and I also like Crandall, I’ve been very impressed with their vision. Looking at the bigger picture though do you think it’s fair to say we’re still missing a goalscorer? As I said I like Cox and Crandall but they are both dishers. 5 games so far and 9 points between them which is great but no goals. If you look at their CV’s as well they are definitely pass first players.
Reid has got 9 goals so far which is above and beyond what’s expected of him but behind him there’s Waller and Sanford on 2. Waller is a young rookie and it goes without saying that he’s been outstanding so far. It would be very harsh to expect too much of him though over a full season though. I’m sure it isn’t the plan for Waller to be in our top 3 goalscorers this season.
Before I get criticised for being too negative there’s plenty to like about this team. Even at this early stage if somebody told me 13 or 14 of these players will be back next season that’s fine with me. It’s just glaringly obvious for me at the moment that we’re missing a goalscorer that’s going to take the pressure off Reid
While it's good to see Dupont making a contribution, that seems to be around his face off skills and possession. I'm not seeing anything to suggest that he's going to suddenly chip in 20 goals. If the defence continues its improvement then a sniper to take pressure of Reid seems reasonable. Sanford will contribute decent numbers but, with his size, the is a risk of him being bullied.

Last edited:

Earnie

Sympathising with Terry, the bottom of Block 19 (adjacent to B18) have had several mentions in the past. They need special attention!

OJLloyd

I was quite critical following the loss last weekend, so only fair I praise when we play well.

Defensively we were much better. Taking care of the puck and not just throwing it carelessly towards the centre of the ice or the blue line.

All D put in good performances, and was nice to see Batch pick up a goal with a big clapper. He’s more than capable of that.

Thought O’Connor looked the player we had hoped he would be. More of the same please.

Forwards wise, it was frustrating to watch us pressure and not score but there’s not a lot you can complain about when their goalie is having such a good game.

Obligatory Brodie Reid goal, and Josh Waller again proving himself as useful as any player in the league.

Hopefully last week was a blip. Play with the intent we had last night and we won’t go far wrong.

jenks33

While it's good to see Dupont making a contribution, that seems to be around his face off skills and possession. I'm not seeing anything to suggest that he's going to suddenly chip in 20 goals. If the defence continues its improvement then a sniper to take pressure of Reid seems reasonable. Sanford will contribute decent numbers but, with his size, the is a risk off him being bullied.
What we’re seeing from Reid at the moment is ridiculous and as I said he’s going above and beyond what’s expected of him really. Don’t get me wrong I’m sure he’s one of our highest earners but 9 goals in 5 games is unsustainable. Over the next 5/6 months he’s going to have a dip in form or possibly pick up an injury (let’s hope not) and what then? Do we have enough goalscoring if Reid is out for a few weeks? I’m not convinced we have.

moggy#9

What we’re seeing from Reid at the moment is ridiculous and as I said he’s going above and beyond what’s expected of him really. Don’t get me wrong I’m sure he’s one of our highest earners but 9 goals in 5 games is unsustainable. Over the next 5/6 months he’s going to have a dip in form or possibly pick up an injury (let’s hope not) and what then? Do we have enough goalscoring if Reid is out for a few weeks? I’m not convinced we have.
Agreed. At some point opponents will come up with a game plan against him. Then it'll be about how we turn that into an opportunity for others.

BostonBart22

Great game by both sides, end to end, rough and tumble, great win and the fans were awesome from start to finish, regarding the tilt by springer and louis, springer knew what was coming so took louis to the boards to tie him up as louis wouldve sparked him out as done before, linos stepped in then as they fell to the ice..did anyone notice valdix had lots more ice time, thought he had his best game so far..well done to all the players both sides on a very entertaining game ..

Devil94

Left the game early as i was getting pissed off by several issues.
Covid precautions i thought were the best so far i wonder if Devils management have had a warning.Sadly we still have a sizeable element of the fanbase who seem to want the arena shut down.Fans removing masks all round the arena despite the best efforts of stewards.I am quite shocked by the stupidity of fans who tolerate people sat around them without masks.
The sponsors in Block 19 are taking the piss out of the club and the fans around them.I suggest Devils management remove the windows on the hospitality rooms and replace them with clear glass.They can then put a counter with seating so the game can be watched from inside.This would also release valuable seating for genuine fans.Give the sponsor a big board on the wall opposite as a replacement.
I would also like the club to sell the nutritional supplements they use to all the fans.It seems they give immunity from Covid19 and would be a valuable service to all the fans.
As far as the game goes i left after period1 from my limited expertise on ice hockey it looked like Slapshot/Trashers hockey.So called good old british hockey.The storm were intent on injuring/intimidating players to make up for their lack of skill/talent.
I respect Carruth for the number of times they ran him but he defends himself well ,Springer what a joke his trips,slashes.grabs on players were pathetic.I thought at one point hes was trying to take Davies's shirt off it would never fit him.Refereeing was rubbish the 2refs system doesnt work.
My final winge for today was finding a "woman "in the gents .
One good thing a got my new 17 Richardson shirt.
Disgaree with the hockey part of this post. I thought it was one of the most entertaining league games we have had in a while, and the atmosphere was great.
For me, Storm played a great road game, sitting back in front of a great goalie, and try hitting us on the counter. The did hit the bar and come close a few times, on another night they could have scored a couple.
Saw no attempt by them to deliberately injure either, I thought the two teams were pretty equal on the physical play.
Apart from the game penalty for them, which I thought was incredibly harsh, the refs had a decent game I thought. Didn't really notice them at all, and no bad missed calls that I saw. And I would be interested to know how many refs you think should be on the ice!? 3?! 2 refs has been proven to be quite successful all around the world, which is why its standard in every professional league that I know of. I'm not sure if you remember when the Elite League games were single refs, but those games often descended into shambles and I hope that we never have to go back to those days.

matbur

Can anyone clear up what happened at the end on the 5 minute + game penalty call for cross-checking? Seemed a pretty serious incident for the decision, was it to the head or something? I missed the actual incident.

As for masks, I know it's a repetitive topic and I get some people don't see it as big of a deal as others, but it is what it is. IMO I'm still very uncomfortable with it and there's no way enough is being done, as evidenced by the amount of people not wearing masks at all or just having them below their nose and mouth.

I do feel for the matchday staff, many are young and perhaps lack confidence to challenge or be assertive - as what needs to happen. I suspect a large amount of people using exemption as an excuse, and if they are truly exempt then why not wear a visor protector?

It's not even as if the numbers are trending back down, it's the complete opposite. This is a societal problem not just at the Devils organisation and their employees.

moggy#9

Can anyone clear up what happened at the end on the 5 minute + game penalty call for cross-checking? Seemed a pretty serious incident for the decision, was it to the head or something? I missed the actual incident.

As for masks, I know it's a repetitive topic and I get some people don't see it as big of a deal as others, but it is what it is. IMO I'm still very uncomfortable with it and there's no way enough is being done, as evidenced by the amount of people not wearing masks at all or just having them below their nose and mouth.

I do feel for the matchday staff, many are young and perhaps lack confidence to challenge or be assertive - as what needs to happen. I suspect a large amount of people using exemption as an excuse, and if they are truly exempt then why not wear a visor protector?

It's not even as if the numbers are trending back down, it's the complete opposite. This is a societal problem not just at the Devils organisation and their employees.
If the stewards aren't able to enforce masks, then we should have people in place that can. We are entrusting our club (at least the risk of being shut down) to these people. It really doesn't help that a great deal of mask non compliance seems to be right in front of the cameras.

The way cases are rising I wouldn't be surprised to see the Welsh assembly to start looking for scapegoats.

Devil94

There was nothing in it. Even Carruth was shaking his head when their guy was thrown out. Maybe 2 minutes for making contact with goalie, but it looked accidental so even that would have been harsh.
Had it been as serious as a 5+game, I think we would have known from Mac's reaction.