FACE OFF TIMES AT IAW

Personally 4pm or 5pm would be better for me when I bring my 4 year old to the games as currently she can't come to Sunday games as its too late (and we live in Port Talbot). If it doesn't change no big deal, she won't come, if it does great, i'd probably get her a ST.
I work shifts so doesn't matter to me really.

Todd said IIRC that its something they want to try next season, so I expect a compromise of 5pm which I guess is more "family friendly"

Which ever way they go with FO Times I hope they make it clear as soon as this season is over.I struggle to make Saturday games but put up with missing the odd game.This year however we renew early only for the games to be virtually split 50/50 with Sat and Sun. Unless it goes back to mainly Sunday games I doubt if we will renew x4.

Sliput

Saturday 6 or 7

Sunday anywhere between 4 and 5 would be fab. A home game for me is a four hour round trip so that little bit earlier would suit me :)

Sliput

jimmy snels said:
ASHIPP said:
Face-off times will definitely affect season ticket purchases. Many people work or have family commitments on Sunday afternoons. The 6pm faceoff does not seem to have hindered capacity attendances for most games so many people appear to be managing that time.

Build in rugby and football club/international games on Sunday afternoons.
Agree. Why go looking for trouble? Its working, why change?
Clubs of any sport need new fans to keep thriving, I agree that the 6pm time is obviously good , you can tell by all of the near sellouts we have but some people go because the team is winning. What happens if the team go on a losing streak ? We all know about 'fair weather' fans, a club can't keep relying on the same fans turning up week after week, maybe this is the starting process to engage more families etc....

It is not easy to balance keeping everyone happy but I am sure the club will consider all of their options.

As someone has already posted, the club need to release and stick to the Sat and Sun face off times well before the new ST'S go on sale.

ASHIPP

Unfortunately there would be absolutely no point in buying a season ticket if you could attend all Saturday games..but none of the Sunday games because the faceoff time starts when you are still at work.

The Club has to do what they think is best. They must, however, announce this as soon as they can because many people will not commit until they know.

Understand that the Club want to fill 1000 more seats.....but what happens if they lose say 300 existing season ticket holders who can't attend some of the games because they are working or face off time too early?

Koop11

This begs the question whether the club’s policy for attracting new fans is based solely on attracting families and are they hinging much of this on FO times. You would hope they have undertaken some market research into this and not simply use next season to trial and error their approach which could potentially lose a lot of existing STs and walk up fans.

They may want to trail it for pre season games but this probably defeats the object as its still holiday season. Perhaps they could amend the season ticket package not to include the CC and test early FO times for the group games.

Whilst I’m sure the measure is based on overall crowd numbers, if the policy is indeed based on increasing family attendance, and therefore securing a future generation of fans, then they of course need to measure the number of child concession tickets sold on any given night.

Ibbz9

The only way of really knowing if an earlier face off time attracts more numbers is a sustained trial period. Market research only covers so much. Potential fans can say earlier is better, but it is only relevant if they actually turn up every week.
There is potentially a huge untapped market. Full credit to the club for looking at ways to capture it.
Hypothetically, if F/O was earlier it could mean the loss of 300 ST holders. It could however mean finding 500 new supporters that were never able to go previously. If these 500 new fans are hooked, it would be a no-brainer to go with the earlier F/O. Why? Well the 300 ST holders that the club lose obviously love hockey. They will then do everything in their power to make earlier games. Maybe not every game, and maybe not every fan. I am pretty sure most would still go to Saturday games and Sunday games as and when they could. There will obviously be those that cut their nose's off to spite their face, but as most people know; once you are hooked, you are hooked.

ASHIPP

Ibbz9 said:
The only way of really knowing if an earlier face off time attracts more numbers is a sustained trial period. Market research only covers so much. Potential fans can say earlier is better, but it is only relevant if they actually turn up every week.
There is potentially a huge untapped market. Full credit to the club for looking at ways to capture it.
Hypothetically, if F/O was earlier it could mean the loss of 300 ST holders. It could however mean finding 500 new supporters that were never able to go previously. If these 500 new fans are hooked, it would be a no-brainer to go with the earlier F/O. Why? Well the 300 ST holders that the club lose obviously love hockey. They will then do everything in their power to make earlier games. Maybe not every game, and maybe not every fan. I am pretty sure most would still go to Saturday games and Sunday games as and when they could. There will obviously be those that cut their nose's off to spite their face, but as most people know; once you are hooked, you are hooked.
Bit difficult to do 'everything in your power to make the earlier games' when you work every Sunday until 6pm :cry:

Of the current season ticket holders, many have been very long serving fans, spending a lot of money over the years. To lose many of them would indeed also mean a fair chunk of initial season ticket revenue loss....with no guarantee that the same level of new season ticket holders would commit initially. And that's before the task of attracting additional season ticket holders/walk up fans above current levels.Sellouts are influenced by so many things - family commitments, the attraction of a winning team, a successful match night experience.
As said before, the Club must do what they think is best. It's a difficult decision....with no guarantees.

Please keep 6pm on a Sunday or my friend who comes with me (a season ticket holder) won't be able to come as he works on a Sunday until 5,

Mooney#16

Not teaching club how to suck eggs but wouldn't the easiest thing be to start a public poll with a stated closing date in some way to give an actual numerical figure of how many may be forced out or how many may be attracted. It won't be scientific but it will give more of idea than people just stating their position on here. Everyone can give good arguement either way. It's a numbers game at the end of the day.

drainage

fried egg said:
Which ever way they go with FO Times I hope they make it clear as soon as this season is over.I struggle to make Saturday games but put up with missing the odd game.This year however we renew early only for the games to be virtually split 50/50 with Sat and Sun. Unless it goes back to mainly Sunday games I doubt if we will renew x4.
They can and should tell us FO times in time for ST renewals - the issue with Sat vs Sun is fixtures meeting is late Jun/early July (seems to vary slightly but is well after end of season) no one can say what percentage of games will be on what day until the teams have met and agreed.

I believe Todd prefers Sat as home game - this I think had knock on effect on away travel this season. Away games on Sun are not as well attended as away games on Sat - Sun AM nursing a hangover/catching up on sleep is easier than a Mon !

pjj365

Mooney#16 said:
Not teaching club how to suck eggs but wouldn't the easiest thing be to start a public poll with a stated closing date in some way to give an actual numerical figure of how many may be forced out or how many may be attracted. It won't be scientific but it will give more of idea than people just stating their position on here. Everyone can give good arguement either way. It's a numbers game at the end of the day.
This is a good start but will not, by definition, capture any potential newbies

The only effective way to judge is through a pilot but even this will not give a true indication of take up of earlier times unless it is accompanied by suitable PR - i.e.not through socialmedia. This will only target us "groupies" on here, Twitter and Facebook.

To assess a new market it is essential to reach out to that new market

I am now going out to buy some eggs for my granny to suck after a lesson on how to

jimmy snels

Another sell out this weekend. In a crappy old blue tent, with rubbish sight lines and all manner of annoyances. Almost like the current face off times are working....
my guess is our first few games in IAW will be sell outs as well, just need to retain these casual fans, that comes from on ice product, game enjoyment and feel good factor. Not because it started 2 hours early.

Out of intrest how many games have sold out this year? And whats our average attendance figures this year compared to past? And any ideas what our attendance record is? Finny may know this is my suspicion!

KaneDevils

jimmy snels said:
Another sell out this weekend. In a crappy old blue tent, with rubbish sight lines and all manner of annoyances. Almost like the current face off times are working....
my guess is our first few games in IAW will be sell outs as well, just need to retain these casual fans, that comes from on ice product, game enjoyment and feel good factor. Not because it started 2 hours early.

Out of intrest how many games have sold out this year? And whats our average attendance figures this year compared to past? And any ideas what our attendance record is? Finny may know this is my suspicion!
Probably a sell out as its a top of the table clash, oh, and it just so happens to be against the Steelers.

I see what your saying, but the new home seats more, so the club need to figure out if keeping the FO Times as they are would help fill the IAW or if changing them would be more beneficial. At this time, nobody really can say. It's all just opinions from a small section of the fan base.

Milky

KaneDevils said:
jimmy snels said:

Probably a sell out as its a top of the table clash, oh, and it just so happens to be against the Steelers.

I see what your saying, but the new home seats more, so the club need to figure out if keeping the FO Times as they are would help fill the IAW or if changing them would be more beneficial. At this time, nobody really can say. It's all just opinions from a small section of the fan base.
Totally agree. Sunday fixtures at the start of this season did not sell out and thats after us doing so well in the league last year and winning the challenge cup last year.

Ocko

Agree with Kane and Milky. The current plethora of sells outs do not prove it's because of a 6pm or indeed in spite of it. The only way would be to trial it with a lot of marketing, over a significant period.

Finny

jimmy snels said:

Apologies for not replying sooner - only just read the latest posts on this thread.

We have had 8 sellouts this season so far. 6 on a Saturday, 1 on a Sunday and 1 midweek.

Our average attendance for league games in 2153. This compares to 2056 last year (and 1427 the year before).
Since we've been in the BBT there hasn't really been a big difference in attendances for Sats or Suns. This year however we've averaged 99 more on a Saturday - although that might be because we've had more Conference games on a Saturday.