Final - Devils Vs Panthers - Sunday 8th- 4pm Chat / Updates

TheStub

Re: Final - Devils Vs Panthers - Sunday 8th- 4pm Chat / Upd

I think the Devils can hold their heads high after this weekend.

With the money spent in Nottingham and Belfast, and our short bench, we should have been dumped out yesterday. The fact we feel robbed today just shows how well we did.

Yes, Nottingham lifted the cup again - but the manner they did it will probably leave the management not feeling so elated.

G and Franny proved that they are head and shoulders above either coach faced this weekend.

Would have loved to see a Devils win today. You guys have battled all year and faced a lot of adversity. Bad luck. Hope you all enjoyed the weekend despite today's result.

Oh and Beatbox I disagree, you can not knock what Neilson has done at Panthers. All this in front of his own fans is ridiculous. Over both games we probably had about 45% panthers fans and the rest were against us. So in terms of fans you had the upper hand. As far as league and budget are concerned Giants had a bigger squad and bigger budget should they have won all three trophies ?
Thats cool, I don't expect anyone to agree with me :lol:
my point was ......
As far as the playoffs are concerned, Nottingham have hardly achieved the unachievable. 3 wins in a row, home ice, no traveling, big expensive full roster, just saying. Yes you were the better team against a low budget team playing out of a tent with three imports down, just
Having a big budget helps and Belfast won the league, reached a final and came within a penalty shot of reaching another, so ......
With all the Panthers clout they should be winning league titles ........ shouldn't they? Or competing for them at least :roll:

TheStub

Re: Re: Final - Devils Vs Panthers - Sunday 8th- 4pm Chat /

kezypanther said:
Why thankyou ;)
And I'm not just saying this but if we would have lost today I would glad it was to the hands of the Devils you would have deserved it.
Oh and Beatbox I disagree, you can not knock what Neilson has done at Panthers. All this in front of his own fans is ridiculous. Over both games we probably had about 45% panthers fans and the rest were against us. So in terms of fans you had the upper hand. As far as league and budget are concerned Giants had a bigger squad and bigger budget should they have won all three trophies ?
I'm not sure the Panthers really understand the point here. So, let's try a little thought experiment - how would the Panthers fans view the finals played in Sheffield? We have Simmsey doing the music and announcements - throw in Woosh when the Steelers score.

Oh, and Steelers get their normal dressing room, bench - basically it is a Steelers home fixture.

That is what the Playoffs are like. In fact, there is talk that Corey refused a league order for the Panthers to use the away changing room - which should have seen them forfeit the game if true (IMHO).

Don't get me wrong, Panthers got that lucky bounce a team was looking for - and in a game devoid of offensive flair in either direction that was the difference. The lucky team won it.

But the whole setup feels wrong.

Does that means that I was right in thinking that the Panthers, being the away team, shoals have used the other entrance & other bench, & started the match from the other end? Why bother with home & away sides then?

Whoa, emotions are high; understandably. What's done is done though.

I'd rather focus on;

a) having 8 imports does not affect excitement or entertainment, the league should bring the cap down
b) team spirit can match up to big budgets (I hate to use them in analogy, but the Swans have been doing it all season too)
c) to rehash the well-worn maxim, if someone had said to you in August that we would...

I'm as gutted as anyone to be here again, but today's result stands. Panthers home arena just happens to have been designated the National ice centre and the league have chosen it for the play-offs. C'est ça. Next season is but 5 months away...

I totally understand why fans would feel how you guys feel. Yes we have the home advantage but its not our fault we have the best venue and accessibility to this venue for other fans.

I also disagree with what Neilson done (if he did do it) about refusing to move changing rooms BUT they were there whilst the awards were going off so if it was a problem they had 2/3 hours to sort it out.

And about the announcer... he is not our announcer so that is not valid at all. Making Simms and that guy totally different.

Yes we got lucky and I admitted that but a wins a win at the end of the day.

TheStub

WelshHabsFan said:
Whoa, emotions are high; understandably. What's done is done though.

I'd rather focus on;

a) having 8 imports does not affect excitement or entertainment, the league should bring the cap down
b) team spirit can match up to big budgets (I hate to use them in analogy, but the Swans have been doing it all season too)
c) to rehash the well-worn maxim, if someone had said to you in August that we would...

I'm as gutted as anyone to be here again, but today's result stands. Panthers home arena just happens to have been designated the National ice centre and the league have chosen it for the play-offs. C'est ça. Next season is but 5 months away...
I'm actually really happy with what we've achieved this weekend - the league however looks more and more like a joke.

Many people from all teams have commented on what a poor atmosphere the playoffs have had. Many won't come back.

This league continues to become a parody of itself - and it needs to sort itself out before it implodes.

And just because it has NIC on the side doesn't mean we have to hold the even there. Sheffield is as nice an arena, just as easy to travel to and has more room for expansion. There is also the MEN - not sure what the cost implications are, but utilise the lower tier, expand if required.

Have to agree with you there the PO did not have its usual buzz that it usually has. Things seem to have been a little dimmed down this year. No fireworks for example ! ;)

chris592

The playoffs have got stale, think the NIC has got complacent with hosting it, 5 years contract they have. Used to be a special weekend, but its lost its shine, really has turned into a Nottingham home game. Still think its a joke the Panthers use the home dressing room and bench no matter what. Would like to see it held elsewhere, but sadly can't see tgat happening. They need to spice it up for next season, and possibly cheaper tickets.

TheStub

chris592 said:
The playoffs have got stale, think the NIC has got complacent with hosting it, 5 years contract they have. Used to be a special weekend, but its lost its shine, really has turned into a Nottingham home game. Still think its a joke the Panthers use the home dressing room and bench no matter what. Would like to see it held elsewhere, but sadly can't see tgat happening. They need to spice it up for next season, and possibly cheaper tickets.
Cheaper tickets, make more of the event and handicap the Panthers.

The league will never be more than a beer league whilst the Panthers get home ice advantage. Another year like this and we should go to playoff series - they've killed the weekend anyway.

Thought I should mention Moray Hanson, imo he had a very good game. With the exception of the Lepine call (good clean hit)
I thought he got pretty much everything else right. Not bad for the weakest ref we have/had ;)

Agreed.

Assuming all other factors to be equal, would the Panthers have won yesterday if the game was being held at the BBT? My gut says no.

After last year I promised myself I wouldn't attend another playoff final weekend if it was being held at Nottingham, especially considering that they were supposed to be the "away" team yet they still got to use the home bench and home locker rooms, and wear their home jerseys. Even when interviewed Brent was surprised and hinted that it was probably because of the money paid by the Panthers to the league.

There are other, equally decent hockey venues available in this country. I would rather travel the extra distance to Glasgow and watch the playoffs at the Braehead Arena than watch Nottingham win again with their home ice advantage.

But as for the game itself, considering the Devils played a hard 70 minutes plus against the Giants on Saturday while being 2 imports down, whereas the Panthers had for all intents and purposes a semi final bye against the Rays. To be 2 imports down and shut out the fully benched Panthers for 53 minutes on their home ice was awesome. It was unfortunate that some of our bigger signings seemed to be absent, didn't see much of Pierce all game, kind of reminded me of Weller at last year's final. Kowalski played an absolute blinder for the Panthers and cannot really fault Lyle either, as he was solid all game.

Oh well, onwards and upwards...

Pretty gutting to lose a final again, but this year we were really up against it...

Down an import, against an already more expensively assembled team with home ice advantage.

We did really well to keep it as close as we did, and in the end it was only a lucky bounce that cost us. Some players were brilliant, giving 100% and I can’t fault them at all – one or two others I can’t say the same about.

I think G and Franny are doing a really good job, and they just need a bit more funds to get them a little closer to the Giants/Panthers of the league.

Gotta say, the ticket price for the quality of hockey seen... Well if I wasn't a Devils fan I would have felt a bit robbed.

The playoffs really should be played at a neutral venue where possible, or at least rotate it, Nottingham one year Sheffield the next eg.
Maybe when we get our new pad it can be held in Cardiff? :)

I thought overall the Devils' playoff campaign should be viewed as a huge success. I hadn't given us a hope of getting near the final this season so to have done that is a credit to the team and the coaching staff :)

Had we played with the same intensity and team work ethic in the regular season it would have been far more enjoyable (from a personal perspective) but there we are.

While our gameplan yesterday was limited, I felt it was the right approach to keep us in the game and the vast majority of players clearly had a commitment and work ethic to follow out that gameplan.

I was surprised the Panthers didn't really go for the win. Given the talent gulf on the rosters, our short bench, and our semi-final going to penalties I thought we were there for the taking and had the Panthers really gone for it they probably could have put the game to bed in the first period (although the way Lyle was playing you never know) That said, their cautious approach gave us a chance, but for all our endeavour we never really looked like scoring.

Some really outstanding gutsy performances from individuals which I'm sure I'll get a chance to elaborate on in the 'who do you want back thread' (when that pops up). Clearly Lyle, was stellar as I'm told he was on saturday. Some big performances from a number of d men as well. Great to see Phil Hill playing physical and leading the line on that front and hopefully he'll play this way for the whole season if he comes back next year. A mention for Harding too who is superb defensively (learning from the terrific Scott Matzka no doubt!)

My only real frustration was that we didn't shuffle the lines when it was clear that Pearce was offering nothing. I'd have liked to have seen Davies elevated to play with Macrae and Hill and I also liked the couple of shifts G took with Matzka, with G being far more capable of retaining possession in the corners than Dobben.

Roll on next season :D

First finals I have been to and must say especially sat with the Braehead fans the atmosphere was fantastic! ,A vocal contingent came up from South wales which sang for the full game,even when the match had been lost. They are a credit to this club,Cardiff and to British Ice Hockey.

i thought the gulf in class between the Cardiff offensive line and Panthers was stark, far more direct and probing, often through the middle and but for a superb effort from Lyle it could have been alot more. They shot on side, where as the dump and chase tactics, even when Cardiff were trailing late was often crowded out. Nice to see the team fronted up to them.

In many respects, alot like watching the City! some good build up play but when the pressure is on ,launch it up to the lone frontman and let him have a crack.
Not bad trip,but £36 for a 'concession' ticket for one Hockey game is a bit steep!!
Any chance of having this weekend back at Wembley Arena?

Gaz G

For me the best team on the day won the game and looked like they would from the moment the puck dropped.

The Devils were of course shattered from the semi final where as the Panthers had a relatively easy game on the saturday and didn't expend half as much energy as we did. Whilst it was great to see the Steelers get knocked out by Hull I can't help but think we may have had a better chance of winning yesterday had the Panthers Played the Steelers on Saturday (if thats how it would have worked out).

The Devils worked hard and showed a lot of heart yesterday. They can and should be proud of their season given the limited resources on offer. Bring on the off season and let the signings begin.

Koop11

Wasn’t the best performance I’ve seen from this team. We didn’t deserve to win it. I think we were out of gas from that great semi final against Belfast. Nottingham were poor also. For me, one of the most boring playoff finals I’ve seen.

Lyle was brilliant again and Matzka lead what offense we had up front. Pearce was very disappointing. Well done to the young Brits, particularly Harding. He took a huge, clean hit from Lapine and clocked up some valuable minutes at the highest level. He will learn a hell of a lot from that game and will be better for it.

We did well enough to get to the final but that was where it ended. Well done to the lads on a very good season considering. Here’s to a summer away from hockey.

Earnie

This year the Nottingham home advantage issue really got to me.
You will never beat the old Wembley weekend.
The friendly atmosphere was missing. The traders were missing and much more.
There seemed to be Nottinghan fans scatterred all over the place?
A neutral venue is essential. There are only two suitable places - Manchester and Wembley

However costs probably dictate that Nottingham will keep the advantage.

I heard that Wembley asked for £100,000 to relay the ice?
I have no idea about Manchester.
Sheffield is just more of the same.

There is a LOT of room for the organisers to make it a better weekend for the travelling fans who have paid a lot of money to be there.

The Sunday hours of waiting till 4pm needs to be addressed - even a game of under 14s would have done!!