Flames Vs Devils - League - 1st Jan 23 - 16:00 FO

OJLloyd2

Sounds like a combination of refs and us being brainless at times cost us tonight.

2 points was the absolute minimum required, so I suppose we can have some optimism. But on that same point, it’s disappointing to give a team who don’t lose often this season any sort of advantage.

moggy#9

I suspect that Guildford would have been under immense pressure after 3 straight losses. There's no shame in losing to the top team away, but I'll leave it to those who saw the game to comment on the detail.

Between now and the Sheffield game. The team has a lot of work to do, particularly on the special teams. It's now a must win game.

ASHIPP

Huge game now against the Steelers.
Sheffield showing that they are serious contenders in the last few games....when they are trailing early in the game, they correct their mistakes and tighten up.
It sometimes seems a slog for the Devils to get back into a game when chasing it.

Slartibartfast

Discipline cost us that game. Bad line change cost us one goal, poor penalties cost us the other and Kozun finished the game off with a huge cock up but these things happen to all goalies at some point. Otherwise he had a fairly decent game.
Yes some of the calls were harsh but when you get called 6 penalties v 2 discipline plays a part.

The shame is the first 10 minutes we looked the better team. The penalties wore us out. We looked very tired at the end. Fournier is still looking good in front of net but unfortunately could not bury it

Wannabe2

Last nights team and todays team were like chalk and cheese, in fairness we were very poor tonight and deserved what we got Zilch. Don’t think I will ever buy a Guildford webcast again it is very poor.

Diablo3

Yes we were better in the first 10 minutes, but gifts from the stripes didn't help. e.g. Fourns was called for face off violation encroaching, but then so was the Guildford player so why just us? that gave them a 4 on 3 and no surprise when they scored. Losing those two quick goals knocked the stuffing out of us for the rest of the first. Second and third we gave a reasonable account of ourselves but no joy.

BostonBart22

Yes we were better in the first 10 minutes, but gifts from the stripes didn't help. e.g. Fourns was called for face off violation encroaching, but then so was the Guildford player so why just us? that gave them a 4 on 3 and no surprise when they scored. Losing those two quick goals knocked the stuffing out of us for the rest of the first. Second and third we gave a reasonable account of ourselves but no joy.
Fourns got away with one last night tbh , so wondering if officials were pre warned by flames coach beforehand ..

Hedd Wyn John

To beat a side as good as Guildford we were gonna have to score 3 or 4 goals. We scored zero - so refs aside & various things that went on in the game the team must find the net regardless.

Time to dust ourselves off and focus on Thursday.

Sheffield are confident and in form. We're gonna need to score early and often. If we end up chasing on Thursday I think it'll be too much effort.

Will Dupont opt for Bowns I wonder?

ASHIPP

Steelers win tonight after being pushed all the way by Storm. Steelers seem to have the skill and mentality to secure these tight games.
It's going to be a real battle in the next few weeks...4 teams separated by a few points. The games against each other become very important now.

Jonesy83

To beat a side as good as Guildford we were gonna have to score 3 or 4 goals. We scored zero - so refs aside & various things that went on in the game the team must find the net regardless.

Sheffield are confident and in form. We're gonna need to score early and often. If we end up chasing on Thursday I think it'll be too much effort.

“Refs aside” is it, that game should have been 1-0 at best, without any PP to us, with at least 2 100% penalties to us who knows.

Did we play great? Absolutely not, don't get me wrong, but what has been been said before, wayyy to many times where we should have shot, we looked for the extra pass. Way to much fancy hockey when shooting would have been way more effective imo

Ocko

wayyy to many times where we should have shot, we looked for the extra pass. Way to much fancy hockey when shooting would have been way more effective imo
The shot map and all associated stats would disagree. We were wasteful shooting from distance too much and didn’t pass the puck into the danger areas to get real chances on their net.

Hedd Wyn John

“Refs aside” is it, that game should have been 1-0 at best, without any PP to us, with at least 2 100% penalties to us who knows.

Did we play great? Absolutely not, don't get me wrong, but what has been been said before, wayyy to many times where we should have shot, we looked for the extra pass. Way to much fancy hockey when shooting would have been way more effective imo
I think it's partly a confidence issue, when we go a goal up we seem to play well but when we fall behind we seem to force things that don't pay off.

voth26

Last nights team and todays team were like chalk and cheese, in fairness we were very poor tonight and deserved what we got Zilch. Don’t think I will ever buy a Guildford webcast again it is very poor.
To be fair so were the refs by the sound of it, whilst it's not the whole reason we lost clearly the team weren't on par but hogarth is for me the worst ref in the league and we consistently get the raw end of the deal with him.

voth26

Seriously hope not

Hedd Wyn John

Steelers win tonight after being pushed all the way by Storm. Steelers seem to have the skill and mentality to secure these tight games.
It's going to be a real battle in the next few weeks...4 teams separated by a few points. The games against each other become very important now.
Steelers are in the strong position of having
A) the most goals scored
B) fewest goals conceded

I don't seem to remember them losing a league game by more than 1 goal this season so far which is a pretty impressive. They have a very strong D that doesnt cough up very often and a mix of players who are reliable scorers.

I think they're on a 11 game win streak (league & cup) so it'll be a big ask but I think we can pull off a tight win on Thursday.

Jonesy83

The shot map and all associated stats would disagree. We were wasteful shooting from distance too much and didn’t pass the puck into the danger areas to get real chances on their net.
TBF feel free to look at whatever maps you like, but as someone watching the game live at Ice level, it have taken WAY more shots than actually happened.
1 pass to many on a few occasions imo.

Last edited:

Diablo3

I guess that depends on Bowns fitness. Given Kozuns run lately, I thought Bowns might have been carrying an injury.