Flames Vs Devils - League - 21st Jan 23 - 18:00 FO

Rempel16

I wonder if those who called the season over 2 weeks ago or even 2 months ago are feeling a bit silly now. Even last week there was a post that 'Dundee are more likely to win the play offs than us.'
Well here we are. Just beaten the league leaders and now only 3 points behind them. Rivals dropping points also. Belfast Sheffield double header next week. We are the form team in the league right now and you'd be mad to bet against us.
Of course I was called a happy clapper for suggesting that we could possibly be in this position, so it's nice to see.
The team we had 2 months ago were right to be called out. I think most people said that the season was done unless there were changes… if it was the same team as 2 months ago then your post would hold more validation. But it isn’t, Fournier has made a huge difference, so the ‘told you so’ element of your last sentence would only be relevant if you knew the change was coming.

BostonBart22

A great weekend but I don’t think it’s controversial or overly negative to have doubts about our d corps. Thompson, Louis, Batch all a bit too error prone this season for my liking. Having said that we aren’t playing Guildford/Sheffield/Belfast until the 18th of Feb so it will be bitterly disappointing if we find ourselves (realistically) out of the title race in the next 3 weeks.
It will be interesting to see how we get on against teams that are likely to sit back against us (Fife, Dundee etc)
the 3 scottish games are big now 6points needed and nothing less, lge is in our hands now especially as we play the pretenders twice each, giants, flames and steelers.

Hockeymad

I admitted we needed a change just before xmas.

But I never lost faith and I was called out for it froma load of members on here.

There was no way with the quality of players we had we was going to be so bad for so long.

It was a matter of time before we clicked

And I'm glad we have..

Don't get me wrong i still think we might come up short but by god how we closed the gap I'm proud.

Up the devils

E.D.S.

I love the posts that say "I bet you feel silly now". Why would anyone feel silly?? Aside from the odd moron on here, who's role is to goad and troll, I'm guessing that everyone else wants the Devils to do well. I had us finishing 5th this season when I saw the roster. Nothing would delight me more than having the Devils finish top. Silly, no. Delighted, yes. Equally, if the Devils do finish 4th or 5th I won't be coming on here calling out so called "happy clappers" and giving it the big "I told you so". Why? because in my own view, that's really looking silly.

Devils86

Today Steelers host Storm, who will hope to get something after a Pride night victory over Dundee. Guildford host Blaze who start a hell of a run of games. From now until 11 March they play 12 times....11 against the top 4! They may have a say in the next stage of the title race if they build on recent good form against the bottom half.

Let's hope both Flames and Orange continue to mess up from yesterday.

As for us 4 of the next 6 are against the Scots. As pointed out earlier in the thread we need to ensure we break down the sides who will sit in against us - as opposed to last few games when teams have come on to us plenty.

Long way to go yet

Finny

Huge win for a massive 4 point weekend.

4 point weekends are always an achievement but when you look at what we were facing:
-3 games previous weekend in France
-disappointment in missing out on trophy
-Home to the most in form and stacked team in the league
-Away to the league leaders
-Down to 4 regular Dmen

Even the most positive Devils fan would have been struggling to confidently predict two regulation wins. Yet that’s exactly what we have done.

With 21 games to go we’re in the mix. We don’t have lots of spare imports like other teams and our shortness on D could be an issue in the stretch, but if your ignore the sensationalism negativity of our defeats In France and CC our form over the past two months has been very impressive.

There will be lots of twists and turns in the final months but if someone had said in the summer that come January we’d be level on points with Sheffield and a point ahead of Belfast with a game in hand - would anyone have been disappointed?

Diafol

Before Christmas I said we were a bang average mid table team.
At the time, that's exactly what we were.

I'm not naive enough to believe we're suddenly going to be champions, but I am really pleased to see this group of players turn things around and become title challengers.

kettdevil1

Before Christmas I said we were a bang average mid table team.
At the time, that's exactly what we were.

I'm not naive enough to believe we're suddenly going to be champions, but I am really pleased to see this group of players turn things around and become title challengers.
The thing is, this is exactly the pattern of the last few years. For such an unpredictable sport, the patterns of behaviour amongst teams are incredibly predictable. We have been average in the Autumn for the majority of the last decade and then something clicks..... the signing of a Strachan or maybe a S Forunier triggers it and we go on a charge.....

Same with Nottingham, they sign a team decent on paper, hire Pacha who has transformed the organisation off the ice and yet they still have a title charge that ends pretty much as soon as it begins.

Same with Sheffield under Fox, you know they are going to collapse at some point and it looks to be happening at the moment (disclaimer: they are still a good team and certainly in the mix)

Same with Belfast, no matter where they are in the league, I always think that if you finish above them you will be champions.

I have no idea if we will be champions or not but I am enjoying the ride at the moment and enjoying the season as a whole.

BostonBart22

Sheffield collapsed at the final post last season, guildford also had a great start last season then went downhill, belfast they hung in around top 3 most of season and pipped Sheffield...this season belfast have a massive say on the final outcome with 2 double headers at home v Sheffield and devils. But they could be split weekends and it's all in the melting pot again..pretty sure I read somewhere at the start of the season if fox fails again this season he is out on his arse. No wonder he was upset in his interview after yesterday's result.

doron

i was critical of the team. mainly because the ability was there, but wasn't being shown for whatever reason. put teams around us have had a dip in performance, we seem to be playing good again and we have got the mojo back . fournier is cracking me up i like the way he gets in the player's face's , kelly is doing good also. it looks like we are back in the mix good job devils for turning it around. its going to be a tight finishing run-up , which makes it very interesting.

Kevlar68

A great weekend all round with a great effort which was needed and how it should be.
As for fans being mentioned that called this team out a few weeks ago I was one of them and stick by what I said.
This team is a real Rollercoaster team, one game look uninterested the next game league beaters but they did a few weeks ago look like they couldn't be bothered with dull play and anyone thinking that the team of then that we were seeing was a good team playing well was definitely wearing rose tinted glasses.
Lets keep this winning streak rolling and Kozun is in excellent form.

Last edited:

lloyd_jeff

Maybe next season we keep Fournier & Brandt and sign the type of players that we get mid season at the beginning, bin the imaginary wage cap and change the predictability. This season we’ve lost silverware we should have won, make with a little more effort in recruitment we can seriously mess up Belfast & Sheffield & take the lot.

august04 2.0

I admitted we needed a change just before xmas.

But I never lost faith and I was called out for it froma load of members on here.

There was no way with the quality of players we had we was going to be so bad for so long.

It was a matter of time before we clicked

And I'm glad we have..

Don't get me wrong i still think we might come up short but by god how we closed the gap I'm proud.

Up the devils
Are you sure you didn’t lose the faith?! I’m pretty sure I recall one post where you were calling for DuPont to be sacked!
It's easy for the “I told you so” brigade of you and Devil94 to criticise posters who were critical of the way we were playing and calling for change but it’s because of the changes that were made and dare I say a few home truths from management, that the turnaround has been possible. I’m absolutely certain that without the changes, which if nothing else has brought a new mindset and attitude to the team, we’d still be treading water, with the same old inconsistencies. So it’s a bit rich to state you knew we’d come good eventually. There was no evidence for that whatsoever without change. Thankfully, we got the addition that was so desperately needed. Personally I’d like one more too, as I think we’re light on D for the run in, with the ongoing absence of Jardine.

E.D.S.

Agree I think we need that extra D man as the games come thick and fast. Still a very long way to go and plenty of dropped points are undoubtedly ahead but it wont be the end of the world if we start to drop points, including the Scottish trip where we occasionally slip up.

august04 2.0

The thing is, this is exactly the pattern of the last few years. For such an unpredictable sport, the patterns of behaviour amongst teams are incredibly predictable. We have been average in the Autumn for the majority of the last decade and then something clicks..... the signing of a Strachan or maybe a S Forunier triggers it and we go on a charge.....

Same with Nottingham, they sign a team decent on paper, hire Pacha who has transformed the organisation off the ice and yet they still have a title charge that ends pretty much as soon as it begins.

Same with Sheffield under Fox, you know they are going to collapse at some point and it looks to be happening at the moment (disclaimer: they are still a good team and certainly in the mix)

Same with Belfast, no matter where they are in the league, I always think that if you finish above them you will be champions.

I have no idea if we will be champions or not but I am enjoying the ride at the moment and enjoying the season as a whole.
Agree with you on Belfast, I think whoever finishes above them will win the league. They had their bad spell, brought on by some disharmony within the camp by the sounds of it, but there was no way that organisation was going to allow that mid table mediocrity to continue and they made some good signings and are right back in the mix. I don’t see Sheffield collapsing this year either, they are strong and may have the odd off night as everyone does - but they will be right up there at the end. I think Flames may just fall away a little in the run in, so for me it’s now a 3 way race for the title between Giants, Steelers and ourselves. Obviously I hope we win, but I want to be entertained too - and of late, I’m enjoying watching Devils hockey again, having been a little disillusioned for much of the past year and a half. Long may it continue.

Hedd Wyn John

I wonder if those who called the season over 2 weeks ago or even 2 months ago are feeling a bit silly now. Even last week there was a post that 'Dundee are more likely to win the play offs than us.'
Well here we are. Just beaten the league leaders and now only 3 points behind them. Rivals dropping points also. Belfast Sheffield double header next week. We are the form team in the league right now and you'd be mad to bet against us.
Of course I was called a happy clapper for suggesting that we could possibly be in this position, so it's nice to see.

We've got a tough run of games towards the end & we are bound to drop a fair few points on the final stretch. My concern is that our good run of form has helped us close the gap down to 3 points off leaders but we are due some defeats and a loss here or there and we fall off the pace again. If we end the season in our current position we finish 3rd which is where we are last year.