Flames Vs Devils - League - 21st Jan 23 - 18:00 FO

kettdevil1

Agree with you on Belfast, I think whoever finishes above them will win the league. They had their bad spell, brought on by some disharmony within the camp by the sounds of it, but there was no way that organisation was going to allow that mid table mediocrity to continue and they made some good signings and are right back in the mix. I don’t see Sheffield collapsing this year either, they are strong and may have the odd off night as everyone does - but they will be right up there at the end. I think Flames may just fall away a little in the run in, so for me it’s now a 3 way race for the title between Giants, Steelers and ourselves. Obviously I hope we win, but I want to be entertained too - and of late, I’m enjoying watching Devils hockey again, having been a little disillusioned for much of the past year and a half. Long may it continue.
I deliberately hedged my bets with Sheffield by adding a caveat about them being a good team but there just seems to be something about Fox's coaching that makes them stronger at the start of the season than the end, whereas Keefe seems to be able to do the reverse.

Guildford are a strange one, logic suggests that they are overachieving but they are still hanging on in there. Actually add to them Coventry who are not a million miles off the top. Both organisations are doing a grand job.

Overall though I think we are in agreement, beat Belfast in the table and we are champions

moggy#9

Yes, this weekend has been immense, but let's not get carried away. We know how at times this season we've struggled for consistency. There have been positive signs though. The pp is looking better and we seem to be improving at grinding out results.

There's no way that this improvement happened by itself though. Fournier coming into the team was massive for us. It's given use the grit we've needed all season. I suspect that there have been massive kicks you the backside for some individuals too. It's an pity we couldn't get ourselves sorted for Europe, but let's see what happens now.

E.D.S.

Loved the commentator re: O'Connor "this could be a mistake, It wouldn't be his first this week" :eek:. I don't miss that guy.

At 3:04, for Guildfords 2nd goal, that kind of sums up Batch's season for me. Stripped of the puck so easily when he should be either using his size and strength to protect it or show some urgency in dealing with the situation.

Finny

Definitely agree that Belfast are the team to beat, and not just because they’ve taken full advantage of the maximum number of squad changes allowed.

Of their 20 remaining league games they have 13 home games. And of those 7 away games only 2 are against teams in the top of the league. If they get on a good run they will be very hard to stop.

Hedd Wyn John

Definitely agree that Belfast are the team to beat, and not just because they’ve taken full advantage of the maximum number of squad changes allowed.

Of their 20 remaining league games they have 13 home games. And of those 7 away games only 2 are against teams in the top of the league. If they get on a good run they will be very hard to stop.
Yes that'll be tough to beat

Loved the commentator re: O'Connor "this could be a mistake, It wouldn't be his first this week" :eek:. I don't miss that guy.

At 3:04, for Guildfords 2nd goal, that kind of sums up Batch's season for me. Stripped of the puck so easily when he should be either using his size and strength to protect it or show some urgency in dealing with the situation.
Standard Batch this weekend, lost nearly all his battles against the boards, concern going forward into the remainder of the season. He seems uninterested, and happy to skate about in 1st gear

Ocko

Standard Batch this weekend, lost nearly all his battles against the boards, concern going forward into the remainder of the season. He seems uninterested, and happy to skate about in 1st gear
‘Standard Batch this weekend’. The bloke is playing 30 minutes a game. He clearly isn’t going to play the perfect game and will make mistakes just like all the other D who regularly get slated on here. It seems lost on you that we played two of the best teams in the league this weekend, plenty of players lose battles or mistakes. He couldn’t have lost that many battles or made that many mistakes if he’s on the ice at least 50% of the time and got scored on only once all weekend I believe.

He’s typically a 3rd pairing D man who is being asked to play excessive first line minutes against the best opposition in the league, in back to back games. Should be patted on the back not ripped into for being ‘disinterested’.

Wannabe2

We scored 8 goals and conceeded 3 this weekend against two top teams, 1 against a top Giants team, and two against the table toppers at their gaff. Batch had a good game against the Giants, and was pretty physical, we are joint 2nd in the league our defence is far from the best we have had. Sometimes we have to remember if our players never made mistakes, they wouldn’t be playing in this league, 4 point weekend embrace it.

kettdevil1

‘Standard Batch this weekend’. The bloke is playing 30 minutes a game. He clearly isn’t going to play the perfect game and will make mistakes just like all the other D who regularly get slated on here. It seems lost on you that we played two of the best teams in the league this weekend, plenty of players lose battles or mistakes. He couldn’t have lost that many battles or made that many mistakes if he’s on the ice at least 50% of the time and got scored on only once all weekend I believe.

He’s typically a 3rd pairing D man who is being asked to play excessive first line minutes against the best opposition in the league, in back to back games. Should be patted on the back not ripped into for being ‘disinterested’.
Quite.

We also have the second best D in the league and Batch is coming off a career season last year so a little perspective is needed maybe.... As Ocko says, he is going to make mistakes because he is human and he is being asked to cover missing colleagues. One goal against in the weekend is a decent return and being part of a team that beat Belfast and Guildford an even better one

Very strange that we have had such a positive weekend and this is the contribution that is made.

I can see what Krisoff is saying, this weekend is not a good comparison but before this weekend he has been out muscled most of this season. Had some big hits against him with no reply. I do think it is his last season as the fight seems to have been lost like we had in the past. However we don't know the full story, could be carrying an injury ect, we can just comment on what we see

kettdevil1

I found it interesting that after a weekend when we firmly announced ourselves as title contenders, someone would choose to criticise a player who has been solid throughout the two games. It seemed a strange thing to do.

Looking at the wider picture, I thought he was excellent last season and decent this season, amongst out D men his +/- stat is higher than Ritchie, Louis and Jardine which seems to suggest he is doing his primary job pretty well. Looking at the future we are lucky that we have Kelly and Bradley in the pipeline who have the potential to be regular starters in the EIHL but at the moment, in my view, Batch is a much better player.

Finny

I found it interesting that after a weekend when we firmly announced ourselves as title contenders, someone would choose to criticise a player who has been solid throughout the two games. It seemed a strange thing to do.
I think it's that old problem that people think they are experts and would be better off doing that role themselves, whether it be coach or player. And by criticising players/coaches/teams they convince themselves of it.

I really do question the mentality of someone who criticises one of our players publically (whether it be on here or social media) just so they can get a couple of likes and boost their own ego.

Kevlar68

I really do question the mentality of someone who criticises one of our players publically (whether it be on here or social media) just so they can get a couple of likes and boost their own ego.
It happens in all walks of life i'm afraid not just with sports persons, from politicians to small business owners like myself, someone will always have a pop even though they may not have a clue but they think they know better, its the way of the world wide web and social media.
I myself have have been critical of the team and had opinions on players, you would do it if you were sat next to another fan in the IAW during a game or in the bar after game, i've had many sit next to me state their opinion during a game when were playing badly and always in the bar at WNIR Glynn, Corky, Andy, Sully etc would always have a discussion and call out players so a forum i see as no different.

Last edited:

Finny

It happens in all walks of life i'm afraid not just with sports persons, from politicians to small business owners like myself, someone will always have a pop even though they may not have a clue but they think they know better, its the way of the world wide web and social media.
I myself have have been critical of the team and had opinions on players, you would do it if you were sat next to another fan in the IAW during a game or in the bar after game, i've had many sit next to me state their opinion during a game when were playing badly and always in the bar at WNIR Glynn, Corky, Andy, Sully etc would always have a discussion and call out players so a forum i see as no different.
And as I've pointed out before, if you are telling someone next to you then that is different.

If you were in the bar and (for example) Batch or his family were in the bar too - would you shout across the room to one of your friends "Batchy was rubbish tonight. etc etc" ?

if so - what do you hope to gain for it? Do you think telling a player publically that they are playing badly will help them improve? Because presumably if they are playing badly neither they or the coach will have spotted that and attempted to address it?

I'm all for telling opposition players they are playing poorly. But if we want the best for our team - how is criticising our own players going to help?

Kevlar68

The way i see it is if a player is playing poorly your not going to big them up saying your playing well as they'll keep playing that way.
If someone calls out a player it can on some occasions be a motivator with the player reacting in a "I'll show you who's shit" and come out fighting (not literally) to prove the doubters wrong.
No matter which way a player takes it you will never stop public criticism because the internet and social media has given people that platform so as long as there's the internet it will always happen.
And i think every single member on here at some point has been critical of a player be it an innocent "He's not playing well at the moment" to "What a shower of shit".
I don't think you can argue that fans shouldn't criticise players but you can argue at the way fans criticise players.

Last edited:

Finny

If someone calls out a player it can on some occasions be a motivator with the player reacting in a "I'll show you who's shit" and come out fighting (not literally) to prove the doubters wrong.
So you do think you're a better judge of how a player is performing than themselves/their teammates/their coach?
Or do you just think you're a better motivator than any of them?

Can you see a situation where doing so would put more pressure on that player and make them perform worse?

Kevlar68

Every player is unique, so you can't say one size fits all.
If i see a player having a stellar season one year then the next season is off the radar and nowhere to be seen then of course he's playing worse, so yes anyone can see their not playing well so you can judge a performance.
Even game to game players can go from world beater to pigs swill.
Some players thrive on pressure of needing to perform, some crumble.
If a player is scoring for fun one season then hardly gets a sniff at goal the next then yes i can judge he's not playing well or the tactics being used is not suited to his play.
I'm no better than anyone and have never made out i am, i'm me giving my opinion and i know when a team or player isn't playing well, you don't have to be a coach or ex player to see that.
So i'll put it to you if everything is so black and white are people only allowed to praise players no matter how they're playing? or if the player is playing poorly should every fan just stay quiet?

Last edited:

E.D.S.

Bloody hell people.... it's a forum about our team.... if someone wants to point something out good or bad, then so be it. If they want to be a clown about it, just ignore them but I don't seriously think that anyone watches one or two games and says "X isn't very good" and just comes on here to deliberately target a specific player (of course there's the odd exception).

Some people write things that they wouldn't say to a player face to face and neither should they worry about that as it's a forum to talk about the team and players. Some like what the anonymity gives them, some abuse that and act like total tools but as long as you aren't abusive, why should you worry about saying it to their face? Ban all forums and social media if that's the case. The players are old enough and big enough to look after themselves. I believe Batch responded on twitter to someone calling him a Sh*thouse. "yeh I was terrified". They can handle it.

I also don't think writing something on here about a specific play, overall tactics, the coach or the players themselves means that we could do any better. If that was the case, this forum would only be made up of existing players, coaches and ex-players and ex-coaches. It's a chuffing forum to chat with supposedly like minded people who all have the same things in common - supporting the Devils and wanting them to do well.

Batch hasn't been the same this season - yes he's logged some minutes and had a decent weekend (great agains the Giants) but by his own standards he hasn't been the same, in my view. Without understanding if it's injuries, interest/motivation - it's just speculation, which is what the forum is for.