Giants Vs Devils - Challenge Cup Final - 16th March 22

hopefully we can carry spares next season so can have 2 import goalies but only one per game and use a british back up.i haven't seen one example of changing goalies during the match change the outcome of the game.in my opinion its a waste of an import and while we do this i don't think we will be serious contenders for the league.no other team is doing it apart from sheffield when they have'nt got enough imports and quite often they lose the games that they start with 2 import goalies.now that sheffield have enough imports they use a british back up.

talking about imports guildford have signed a new import today.i thought the transfer deadline had gone.makes you wonder why we have'nt signed anyone giving our injuries.

That was a cracking game of Hockey. Both teams played with so much passion, pride for their badge and club it was electric. Shout out to the Devils fans that travelled over. They can give a proper old roar when the Devils score. I honestly thought once the Devils took 2 goals, it was to be their night, and if they won, they would have deserved it. Well played Devils and Giants,you made a night that many will remember.

moggy#9

Sigh, of thought that the import goalie debate had been put to bed months ago. This is both because off the instances of our starter getting injured or having a bad game. Unless you have a 1a/1b situation you end up with the ludicrous situation we had with bownsy, where he starts every match and we can't afford to pull him. The league has moved on.

ASHIPP

We definitely need full size rosters next year.

As for 2 import goalies. I can see both sides of the argument. Having a brit backup frees up another import slot which would be useful but could we get one with the quality of Kozun? We don't want to end up overplaying one goalie and burning them out.

All decisions for next season.
Yes, simply refer to Nottingham Panthers this year. If you want an example of overplaying a goalie....Carr has played every game except 3. Kerlin, their young British goalie, played those.

matbur

I get why people think having a goaltender sitting on the bench is a waste of an import spot, but it's such a crucial position.

It's easy to underestimate how much influence Kozun's presence has on pushing Carruth and keeping him in good shape. In an ideal world, we keep them both together again next season.

moggy#9

I get why people think having a goaltender sitting on the bench is a waste of an import spot, but it's such a crucial position.

It's easy to underestimate how much influence Kozun's presence has on pushing Carruth and keeping him in good shape. In an ideal world, we keep them both together again next season.
The only way I can see us not keeping a second import goalie is if we had someone like the kid at Dundee who skalde would be willing to trust with starts. Really though, I think there quality of our Brits negates the whole augment about replacing one of them with an import.

jenks33

No chance will Brython Preece (or a goalie of that quality) be our back up next season. Unless Skalde is suddenly ok with Carruth starting 90% of matches in all comps. I think Kozun has played 23 games in all competitions this season and Skalde wouldnt trust Preece to start anywhere near that many.
I think rosters will go back to 20/21 players next season instead of 19. So if we have 2 import goalies we will probably need another British D or forward right? As I don’t think the import limit will change. I don’t think there are many great options out there to be honest. Wouldn’t mind Ferrara or Betteridge but can’t see them leaving Cov/Nott.

Mazzoak

Hindsight is a useless thought process. We’ve had games that we’ve lost because Bown‘s was off his game and no relevant back up to rely on. l‘d bring Bowns back as a number 2, would he, I doubt it, can we secure a decent Brit, no. So I’d certainly want the same guys this yr. Our scoring has been the issue, we’d be finishing lower had it not been the quality of our two netties.
As has been mentioned the current player limit coming out of Covid was needed, not because of hockey reasons but club survivals. It’s blindingly obvious the EIHL is still in a financial crisis and some clubs are also hanging on by a thread. The money risk and threat of further lockdowns was real, getting clubs revenue streams back as soon as possible was vital. Whilst all clubs aim for the top spot, reality and realistically there was only ever going to be 2 clubs fighting the top spot. Which makes our season even better, we’ve exceeded, the punt worked and we’ve held our own. Finance wise we should be in a better place now, we kept a decent team without breaking the bank.
The guys looked like they enjoyed the game, Skalde’s job is to get the very best from each guy and also manage their expectations. Nobody would’ve been too depressed about that result, we went in as underdogs and held our own, if injuries hadn’t been an issue, it could’ve been a better outcome. We needed our A game and Belfast to struggle, unfortunately just couldn’t pull it off.

Last edited:

BostonBart22

No chance will Brython Preece (or a goalie of that quality) be our back up next season. Unless Skalde is suddenly ok with Carruth starting 90% of matches in all comps. I think Kozun has played 23 games in all competitions this season and Skalde wouldnt trust Preece to start anywhere near that many.
I think rosters will go back to 20/21 players next season instead of 19. So if we have 2 import goalies we will probably need another British D or forward right? As I don’t think the import limit will change. I don’t think there are many great options out there to be honest. Wouldn’t mind Ferrara or Betteridge but can’t see them leaving Cov/Nott.
Or we can reel hook from Belfast..

Mazzoak

True but we also had an extremely strong team all round compared to our league rivals. This year I don't think many Devils fans will say our recruitment by early season was as good as Belfast or Sheffield.
No it wasn’t and it was discussed on here in the early few months, as was the lack of goal scoring and calls for players to be sacked. The beginning of the season showed the short comings and now we are finishing is showing the improvements. I’ve said it before anyone who believed our recruitment was put together to win trophies really doesn't understand the game, which is fine, not everyone has the same understanding.

Last edited: