Giants Vs Devils - League - 6th Nov 22 - 16:00 FO

august04 2.0

Profit isn’t a dirty word.
Personally, I hope they are making a working profit. My problem is that too often I’m not feeling entertained and the product is substandard.
And before the 'Usual Suspects' start bandying around the 'true fan' bollocks, I’ve been a season ticket holder since I had a 'Chrissy Waddle' mullet in the 80’s, been a '100 Club' member and have followed the team into Europe on our CHL adventures.
But like it or not there is an increased expectation level since the Calgary 4 took over this club, with the utmost respect to the likes of Fife and Coventry etc, we are not Fife or Coventry, and it is not acceptable just to compete.
This organisation has ‘winning in it’s DNA' so let’s get back to basics if necessary because tonight’s result isn’t a case of 3 games in 5 days as some would like us to believe, it’s about an unbalanced team that is as inconsistent in the extreme!
I think we should expect better than this. Our season ticket prices are among the highest in the league, if not the highest. And we are on a downward slide, which has been going on for 2 years - and it’s getting worse, that's the real worry. I've been around long enough to know that you can’t win all the time and that’s fine for me, as long as my team is giving their all, consistently. If a player is giving their best, then you can’t ask for more than that. That is not happening with this team. You can blame tiredness for tonight but it’s not just tonight. We saw it too many times last year, when Carruth papered over so many cracks and let’s be honest, won us the play offs - and it’s not happening this year either. Whatever the reason(s), this lack of effort and desire, happening over and over again, is just not acceptable.

Swarley

Honestly thought we'd turn up tonight and put on a clinic, we didn't and I don't even pretend to know why we came out and put that performance on.

Frustrating? Yes.
Humiliating? Definitely.
Embarrassing? Without a doubt.

But I do believe this can all be sorted out, I don't know how but the owners and the staff must have something in the works to get this team firing on all cylinders.

Dupont as a new coach is either out of his depth or struggling to make magic happen with the lines he creates, it's frustrating but I really want the guy to achieve things for the club.

I'm the furthest thing from a happy clapper if anything I've been a pain in TKs ass over the seasons but the club and the staff will sort it out I have faith in that.

Gisland

I fear the time for making a statement and fighting has long gone, we’ll just look like sore losers and incur loads of bans. The fighting spirit should have been there from period 1 but that just isn’t who we are. We haven’t been that team for a long, long time.
You were right.. after 4 the Devils just imploded. Other teams over the past season have had a rough patch of games, but none have capitulated to such an extent. Tonight was, well, something special for all the wrong reasons. Giants just did not play in the 3rd period.I sit behind the nets, and when the puck went in for what may have been the 10th, the Giants players looked genuinely shocked. I always enjoy the Devil's games. It has spirit and spit. This one, well, consign it to the history books, Next game it could be the reverse scoreline

Diablo3

Sorry, why should any of the Giants players have to be sorted out, resulting in a possible serious injury? Grow up.
I agree with you, it's not as if it was a dirty game, the stripes had a reasonable outing. A few hits to get the team going maybe but no need for anything else.

moggy#9

lloyd_jeff

Profit isn’t a dirty word.
Personally, I hope they are making a working profit. My problem is that too often I’m not feeling entertained and the product is substandard.
Profit isn’t a dirty word, it’s the main reason most business owners own businesses and it’s their business to do whatever they want. It becomes an issue when comments such as ”we will do whatever it takes to win” “we are not in it for money, we are real fans”. When those words fail to materialise as actions, then their simply words & likely lies. That then places them in the same category as other owners past & present across the whole U.K. hockey “business”. Intentional or not, if you’re going to make those statements, back them up. As paying customers we are entitled to expect a product of a certain quality, whether that be a clothing item, electrical product, theatre show or sports, the price should reflect the product. Maybe some will say that’s an over reaction, maybe it is, but if l go to a concert l expect the singer to be able to sing, the theatre group to perform, the electrical item to work and clothing not fall apart. Maybe others are happy to subsidise the club owners lifestyle, I’m not, so before l stop going to games I’ll expect some of their words to become actions and some decent players signed using the money we all pay.

Last edited:

Gisland

I agree with you, it's not as if it was a dirty game, the stripes had a reasonable outing. A few hits to get the team going maybe but no need for anything else.
Agree. As I said before, I love the Giants / Devils games. Tonight both teams had a clean game. Nothing dirty ( although Jardine had a few suspect moments) Not sure about the comment Kelman took the Giants from nothing, but that's a personal view. My thoughts of Kelman, I am sure, are worlds apart from many Devils fans. Looking forward, as always, to the next Devils game. It already feels like the 2nd game of a doubleheader.

Wannabe2

Its interesting to hear people talk of happy clappers. I remember some pretty heated 'debates' on here a few years back where Wannabe and some other regulars were being accused of being happy clappers. I have always tried to be balanced but probably leant a little bit more to the happy clapper side.
Now I am fairly critical of this team and Wannabe is definitely not happy clapping about this team. We may have just got more negative with age but seriously we have seen a big change in the brand of Devils hockey over the last 2 seasons.
This non contact stuff is not only lacking in entertainment, it is not effective and we can see it. Maybe a new generation of happy clappers is coming in and I will be happy to join that camp if the Devils fix whatever the problem is. Because believe me, there is a problem in this team and its nothing to do with tiredness. We have had demanding schedules before and not lost like this.
Regarding players, Im glad Sanford, Cox and Coughler are back, they are true Devils and I was pleased with Joeys return though he looks somewhat muted.
Richie aside I think this is the worst D I have seen in a long time.
Where does the problem lie. I don't know but I would guess at 3 new D men who are not the level we required and a coach who is causing good players to look bad.
Absolutely spot on, I will gladly happy clap when happy clapping is deserved, but this lot are unbelievably bad. Everyone knows we ain’t entitled to the Mutts Nutts every season, and that success has to be earned, and most seasons we have earned it, but let’s be fair this outfit are so poor it’s a shame, I would keep one D Man and his initials are MR and a Brit , and 8 forwards of which 3 are Brits, the rest to me and it’s only my opinion can do one. That was truly embarassing tonight but showed how poor we are in all positions including off ice.

kettdevil1

Are you genuinely claiming that the owners are taking over a £1 million a year in profit? Even given your previous posts, under your previous names, this is a remarkable statement. It is also a very interesting claim from a legal perspective so..... I trust you have evidence.

As for the game, a very poor performance and exceptionally frustrating given the progress over the last few weeks. Monday could be a very tough day at the IAW.

Last edited by a moderator:

moggy#9

Absolutely spot on, I will gladly happy clap when happy clapping is deserved, but this lot are unbelievably bad. Everyone knows we ain’t entitled to the Mutts Nutts every season, and that success has to be earned, and most seasons we have earned it, but let’s be fair this outfit are so poor it’s a shame, I would keep one D Man and his initials are MR and a Brit , and 8 forwards of which 3 are Brits, the rest to me and it’s only my opinion can do one. That was truly embarassing tonight but showed how poor we are in all positions including off ice.
There are certain players signed to be at the top of our depth chart, and probably paid accordingly, who are nowhere near good enough.

august04 2.0

Agree. As I said before, I love the Giants / Devils games. Tonight both teams had a clean game. Nothing dirty ( although Jardine had a few suspect moments) Not sure about the comment Kelman took the Giants from nothing, but that's a personal view. My thoughts of Kelman, I am sure, are worlds apart from many Devils fans. Looking forward, as always, to the next Devils game. It already feels like the 2nd game of a doubleheader.
I find it very hard to believe that in similar circumstances, the Keefe and Lloyd double act wouldn’t have reacted in the same way that I advocated! For me, that's entirely understandable. Regarding your comment on Kelman, you might be surprised (although I suspect not!)!!

BostonBart22

May ruffle a few feathers here. Is it time to change the C and A's just to get the season up and running again ..and that's not having a go at the guys that already got them. Could be the plan B we need