Ice Arena Wales

Electro

The T&C's are not easy to find, I've given up trying. So it's going to be difficult to impose specific terms & conditions, beyond the standard management reserve their rights. Difficult to defend in court, but the chances of a group of individuals bringing a court action is unlikely.

We live in a world that has moved on dramatically since the 90's. We no longer have the traditional working week. Whilst some retain that lifestyle, others have moved on, you cannot presume everybody using technology is on a social media site of no importance and therefore a lifestyle choice.

For some having instant access to the wider world has become part of the modern working week, a time that includes weekends and evenings. The world is a far more accessible place. That access is not always possible during traditional working timetable. What access does give a huge majority of people is that ability to react to situations quickly. For some travel is not reserved to a yearly holiday, arrangements may need sorting at short notice and in locations that are not normal for people still working in the 90's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pjj365

I have no issue at all with the security. Can't think of having gone to a rugby match or premier league football match and leaving the stadium to go back in again. I seem to remember once you're in then you're in.

It is true about people getting in with other people's tickets. Anger should be at these free loaders not the security that has been implemented to try and stop it.

Unfortunately this is a by product of the poor design of the rink. I said in my observations of IAW on a pre completion visit that entry and security would be a joke. Hate to say I told you so.

With public access to the bar and other rink on game nights, id love to hear people's suggestions as to how you segregate the two groups and ensure security.
And there was me thinking that having 6 staff on the front door (1 to each) hand stamping on the way out or checking tickets on return would be easy with far lower numbers than before the game BUT I was not aware there was "public access" access to the other rink or bar on game night.

Sure does complicate things Now there is a need to cope with the one (narrow) entrance from the cafe and the 2 doors from the bar

In both cases with a will to implement this it is a simple day to day issue which just needs managing

Kipper

IAW shame on you! Forcing us smokers into the naughty box. The entrance to our "box" was so tight that plumes of smoke were sent into block 4, no doubt the non smokers will not be happy ;) isn't it bad enough we have to freeze every week because your too tight to sort the climate control? Or put up with the ever shrinking portions of chips, now we can't even buy a pizza because you are holding us prisoner. If you can't run the rink sell up and ship out!
The stink of cigarette smoke was disgusting

Electro

Makes the design even more ridiculous.

Maybe close any access to the bar from the rink. Get rid of those stupid corporate "boxes" and make another bar with those having access only via the rink. It's not really an arena that requires corporate boxes, get some perspective on corporate. You only need reserved padded seating with better spacing, barrier surrounding with tables and dedicated staff to serve drinks, snacks etc.

august04

I don't go to the bar during period breaks anyway but it's madness if that area is off limits during the game and you can't get back in?! I can understand that policy if you leave the arena itself but not areas within the arena. That's just bonkers. Just don't let people into the arena (including bar) without a ticket in the first place. The smoking situation doesn't sound great though, not sure what the answer is there if a dedicated area wasn't in the original arena design (they couldn't get the benches right never mind think of smoking provision!).
And people can refer back to WNIR days and no phones then but that's just ridiculous. The world has changed and some people need to be reachable at the very least. Again, a modern arena without a decent phone signal or wi-fi access is just laughable. But then why are we surprised - it should be the best facility in the U.K but will never be while it was completed on the cheap, with no money in the pot to make the necessary improvements.

ASHIPP

Sorry but by law, the arena has to provide a safe and secure environment for its patrons including toilet facilities, catering....and a designated smoking area. Nowhere by law do they have to provide WIFI connection for people addicted to using their mobile phones.

And if they want to reserve the right of entry or re-entry that is their perrogative. The purchase of a game ticket presumes responsibility of club/arena for activities WITHIN arena ( the on and off ice entertainment ) which is what a majority of us are there to enjoy right?

Noticed a few brand new members on this thread undermining things.....any coincidence?

KaneDevils

Might be being dumb here, but if there's no WiFi how do ice time stream the webcast? How comes the bbt had phone signal but the iaw doesn't?

You should be allowed to leave the rink and re-enter with good reason. Just flash your ticket stub, why is it an issue?

pjj365

While we are on the law are not IAW legally obliged to know the numbers in the stadium.

At BBT it appeared to be tickets sold + ST scanned. There is no barcode on STs and holders are just waved through. I have not noticed anyone click counting people entering (of all types) since last season

It appears that arena management will not have a clue on accurate numbers. This is simple venue management seen in stadiums/arenas, pubs and clubs on an almost daily basis throughout the UK and I believe this level of control/information is critical to the venue being licensed

august04

Sorry but by law, the arena has to provide a safe and secure environment for its patrons including toilet facilities, catering....and a designated smoking area. Nowhere by law do they have to provide WIFI connection for people addicted to using their mobile phones.

And if they want to reserve the right of entry or re-entry that is their perrogative. The purchase of a game ticket presumes responsibility of club/arena for activities WITHIN arena ( the on and off ice entertainment ) which is what a majority of us are there to enjoy right?

Noticed a few brand new members on this thread undermining things.....any coincidence?
Which legislation would that be then? I may be wrong but as far as I'm aware, I don't believe sports arenas are under any obligation by law to provide a designated smoking area. And your comment about people being addicted to mobile phones is just ignorant. I'm in no way addicted to my phone (can't stand the thing!) but I would like to be reachable by phone at the very least. I welcome new board members too, a refreshing change from some of the nonsense spouted on here by some.

Electro

No your right, by law they do not need to provide Wifi. They also by law, do not need to ensure everyone who purchased a ticket leaves 100% satisfied.

It's kind of a law or if you prefer a rule, that in business you provide more than the basic service. If you enter a shop for example, it tends to be inviting, provides light, a smile, basically a pleasant experience. The hope is you will return.

Having Wifi is another revenue stream to take advantage of, at least it is for people with a proven track record of understanding the business. You may not recoup the costs of providing it, but it will have value to the business, the same value as it does within other similar venues.

There are arena's around the world that have similar capacities to the IAW, built on smaller budgets, who's design is to, as with all successful venues, built in such a way as to exploit alternative revenue sources. That is why concession stands are open view, close to entrances to say the arena, the smells carry. You may not feel like eating a donut, but that smell may just encourage you to.

Sixteen million pounds is a significant amount of money to invest in an arena, as with any purchase, you want it to function. If you wanted a bespoke car, say a Ferrari, you'd go to the dealer, they would ask what you require, you'd then choose, purchase and await your new toy, it would arrive on time. It cost you, but you've paid a lot, the brand has a proven record. Unlikely to be a disappointment. In the world of arena's that scenario either had a client who was frankly not very bright or not very wealth, or both. I would suggest the later.

In no particular order, here's my take on it.

1) Have a separate designated entrance for Season Tickets Holders. Surely those entrances around the arena could be better utilised? Stamp a person's hand on the way in to verify that their ticket has been checked.

2) Use the main entrance for Walk Up sales, collections and those that already have their tickets, such as those bought online (excluding season ticket holder's). Yet again, stamp the person's hand on the way in to verify that their ticket has been checked.

3) Your match night ticket gives you access to all amenities, Food, Beverage, Bar etc (Excluding skating on the separate pad)

4) Tickets bought online and collected in person should CLEARLY show the T&Cs. I know for one that those bought online do not display T&Cs.

5) Public skating should NOT be open and available for use when Devils home games are played.
Yes I know we have another pad that can accommodate this, but in all honesty we coped without public ice skating during match nights in the BBT as we only had one pad anyway, so why use it now? There is plenty other time to use it when devils games aren't being played. Realistically, how many people are actually interested in skating when there is a game on anyway?

5) Provide an adequate smoking area to those that smoke.

6) If you leave the confines of the arena, i.e. go outside, then take your ticket with you. Re-entry should be simple, you enter with your ticket and a stamp on your hand. Otherwise it's as simple as No Ticket, No stamp, then No Entry.

My only comment on Phone/Wi-Fi issues. If you can't provide adequate phone signal, then at least provide some form of Wi-Fi. At the end of the day it doesn't even need to be the greatest Wi-Fi in the world but at least it's something. I'd just think that it'd be more beneficial for those that need access to emails and/or phone calls. For example, those people that have jobs that require them to be 'On Call'.
As a minimum, at least keep fans informed as to whether this is even being addressed or whether there are further issues that make this not possible

I'm sure there are other bits that I haven't included but the most obvious and simple things that I think need to be addressed have been included.

I'm just waiting to be shot down by everyone, hung drawn and quartered. Lol

The stink of cigarette smoke was disgusting
I totally agree as a smoker myself I do not think it's fair to inflict my right to have a cigarette on others, before being penned in like cattle I personally made every effort to be clear of the general public out of respect even taking the stubs away to a bin as IAW does not supply cigarette disposal bins.

Finny

Closing skate hire and the bar to the public would be an easy solution, if the Devils owned the rink. But they don't so if IAW management want to keep them open sadly they can.

Finny

I'm just glad I don't go to the cinema with certain posters on here. You'd be up out of your seats ever 30 mins to go outside, ring for a pizza and check how the other movies are doing.

Finny

Kelman has now put a statement on twitter regarding last night. Says they hope the problems will be ironed out for the next game.

KaneDevils

I'm just glad I don't go to the cinema with certain posters on here. You'd be up out of your seats ever 30 mins to go outside, ring for a pizza and check how the other movies are doing.
Likewise. Sitting next to a happy clapper, you'd miss the whole film!

Electro

Do cinema films have intermissions these days.

If it wasn't for popcorn, many cinemas would be out of business, it has a huge mark up, as does nachos and cheese. In fact the movie bit is now the incentive for those sales, it's more like a popcorn/nacho restaurant with a free movie.

pjj365

Kelman has now put a statement on twitter regarding last night. Says they hope the problems will be ironed out for the next game.
Todd as classy as ever stepping up to the plate

Plenty of fixes suggested on here and Twitter - we know he listens

drainage

The T&Cs used to be printed on the back of a ticket and it is implied you accept these by purchasing and actually receiving a ticket. Due to personal circumstances I am not able to get to the IAW as often as I would like so MNL is an absolute godsend. I have only been to the new Arena once so far but on that visit I didnt encounter any issues re admittance or exiting the arena just to go to the bar or to the lav.
There are no T & Cs on a season ticket ......just a taxi advert!

pjj365

Closing skate hire and the bar to the public would be an easy solution, if the Devils owned the rink. But they don't so if IAW management want to keep them open sadly they can.
Just dawned on me and I am confused

If the only control is on the main doors then anyone legitimately using the bar or public skating can access the main arena thus frustrating Todd's (very valid I have to say) concern

Todd has asked us not to criticise IAW but with this thought in mind I wonder how much he was involved in designing the solution to his concerns