Ice Arena Wales

How much of the Calgary 4 children inheritance are they willing to risk loosing, Steve is no fool, his previous roles in investment banking and his current success is not one built on loosing money. Greenbank are also not in the business of loosing money, if the IAW has business potential, it has a future, if it does not, it'll probably end up a Tesco's.
I guess that depends on how much the Devils are a 'disposable income' interest/hobby and could IAW be part of that.

Finny

Finny, do you bother to read other posters comments, it's a reply to Mooney comment concerning the deal between the Devils and the IAW.
Yes I do. But because it was several replies below Mooney's and you hadn't quoted his post it wasn't clear what you were referring to.
A lack of ice rental costs might appear to affect it's week to week profits, but that was offset by the council gifting the land to Greenbank in the first place. "Build us an ice arena and you can build houses etc for free".

The current lack of any investment and shambolic management of the IAW, added to a poorly designed rink for its dimensions would suggest that either the IAW is unable to make money or the current owners have absolutely no idea how to run the facility or it's an exercise in getting as much revenue from the business as possible before pulling out.
Yes Steve has voiced his ambitions, having said that, he has yet to buy it and has stated the drop in £ makes it more likely than pre Brexit.
How much of the Calgary 4 children inheritance are they willing to risk loosing, Steve is no fool, his previous roles in investment banking and his current success is not one built on loosing money. Greenbank are also not in the business of loosing money, if the IAW has business potential, it has a future, if it does not, it'll probably end up a Tesco's.
[ /QUOTE]
Are Greenbank allowed to knock down the rink and build a Tesco? I would be very surprised if the terms of use of land has changed that drastically in such a short space of time.
Why is it such a poorly designed rink for its dimensions? I personally think they have done very well with the limited space they were given. It does appear that Greenbank are slow on putting further investment into the IAW. That could be because it is unable to make money or because they are trying to pay off the debts they ran up building the Arena without being able to sell all the residential units first.

Electro

Yes I do. But because it was several replies below Mooney's and you hadn't quoted his post it wasn't clear what you were referring to.
Yet you choose to jump on my comment as opposed to Mooney's, don't bother trying to justifying your reasoning, it's what you do.

A lack of ice rental costs might appear to affect it's week to week profits, but that was offset by the council gifting the land to Greenbank in the first place. "Build us an ice arena and you can build houses etc for free".
That narrows the explanation, but not the concern.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wannabe2

Electro, Electro, Electro, why can't you just chill and enjoy the ride, we have a great team to watch, and who are riding high, great owners who after 30 yrs of being in existence are the best we have ever had, a new gaff that hopefully won't blow away in the wind, a atmosphere that really does blow all the other pretenders away. A club that are the envy of everyone, not that they would admit it, but believe me is true. Not being funny mate but you are only here once, this is no rehearsal, just go to the games, enjoy the greatest sport on the planet, have a beer and be eternally grateful that you live in Gods country. And if you need more than that you are a member of the best hockey forum in the U.K., embrace it, we are a long time pushing up daisies.

Electro

Electro, Electro, Electro, why can't you just chill and enjoy the ride, we have a great team to watch, and who are riding high, great owners who after 30 yrs of being in existence are the best we have ever had, a new gaff that hopefully won't blow away in the wind, a atmosphere that really does blow all the other pretenders away. A club that are the envy of everyone, not that they would admit it, but believe me is true. Not being funny mate but you are only here once, this is no rehearsal, just go to the games, enjoy the greatest sport on the planet, have a beer and be eternally grateful that you live in Gods country. And if you need more than that you are a member of the best hockey forum in the U.K., embrace it, we are a long time pushing up daisies.
I am, although apparently l don't go to games. Another way off assumption.

Sorry but Ice Hockey is not my first love, but if it floats your boat, good on you.

It's perfectly clear that l comment on threads that I'm interested in, the current issues of the IAW are being discussed and l am interested in it, for various reasons, I'm simply adding to those comments, I'm not starting the discussion, others are. Not that l have to justify my comments to anybody. If anybody does not like them, fine, add to the debate, keep it clean, civilised and adult.

Last edited:

Devil_Abroad

How dare you be positive! Call yourself Welsh! (Good post thought)

Wannabe2

Okay we all know what we have got, let's not reply to anything negative to our new home, if no one replys then there is no conversation, let's move on and chat about our amazing club.

Chris

Administrator
Okay we all know what we have got, let's not reply to anything negative to our new home, if no one replys then there is no conversation, let's move on and chat about our amazing club.
I don't necessarily agree with all that @Electro is posting, but surely the head-in-sand solution you've just suggested is just as bad?

There are clearly some issues at IAW that people are talking about not just on here, but also on Twitter despite some people claiming that isn't true. Perhaps by talking about them someone might see them and try to fix them, rather than thinking it's okay to just keep going?

Devil_Abroad

I don't necessarily agree with all that @Electro is posting, but surely the head-in-sand solution you've just suggested is just as bad?

There are clearly some issues at IAW that people are talking about not just on here, but also on Twitter despite some people claiming that isn't true. Perhaps by talking about them someone might see them and try to fix them, rather than thinking it's okay to just keep going?
If there's a thread on it then I think that's a great idea

Unfortunately I feel he brings the issue into many different threads which have nothing to do with it

I think he has an agenda against IAW, the Devils ownership, and Andrew Lord, and it feels like he raises them often

Apologies if I'm wrong

Devil_Abroad

Click on the users name in red under their avatar and it brings up a little box with their info. There is an option to follow or ignore the user on the right of the box.
Thanks - time to open in the full version rather than Tapatalk [emoji3]

Finny

But is Electro bringing up issues that can be fixed?
He seems to just want to complain that
a) IAW isn't a single pad 8000 arena
b) He didn't get to build it.

Electro

OMG. Can someone please have a word.

A) l couldn't give a toss what capacity the place is.
B) l'm not in and never have been in construction.

If l was in construction and wanted to build it I'd have no problem telling you. I'm not so it's not an issue. Why is the capacity such an issue, again if l believed the IAW should have been 8000, I'd have simply stated it.

Hell just for you, yes the IAW should have been 15,000. Happy.

Samael

I remember going to the old Nynex arena for the playoff finals weekend back in the 90's and that was only about a third full for the games I saw. The atmosphere was terrible and I think if we did have a larger arena we'd struggle to fill it at the moment. Hockey is sadly a niche sport in south wales and indeed the uk and always will be while the media focus on cash cow sports like football. I think an arena of 4.5k would have been perfect with nice padded seats lol, but IAW is what it is and I'm grateful for the hard work of SORAC. The Devils have a proper size ice pad, clean new changing facilities and professional management/owners. Long may it continue.

Koop11

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/cardiff-metropolitan-university-reveal-new-12717103

A 15,000 seater indoor area for Cardiff could be included as part of a wider regeneration scheme in central Cardiff.

This site has been talked of before, even back when our mate Bob was in power.

Some will say this could be an option for hosting some hockey matches that would generate larger crowds than IAW can host but at a proposed 15,000 capacity I think this would be beyond. Maybe the potential to host a playoff final weekend but very doubtful.

Ocko

I think it will happen eventually, the CIA is aging and is far from ideal in terms of capacity and layout. I've also seen it mentioned on some council documents online that the internal layout would be one that would have to suit sporting events such as hockey. Rather than a fanned layout like Leeds arena.

15k is definitely too big but might include groud/ice level seating, but I suppose if anyone could get a decent crowd in there it's Todd.

Did anyone else notice how dark it was for the Dundee game, when I looked at the lights, there were lots not working, wonder if it's a fault, or IRW saving money?