Ice Arena Wales

Electro

We didn't miss a opportunity believe me,, as the opportunity for a bigger venue was never on the cards, it took 10 yrs to get what we got, and believe me that wasn't easy.
Carry on believing that......

I'm afraid the future could have been different.

It's difficult to persuade or promote anything when others have an opinion, personality or career ambition that differs from or are unprepared to take a risk. I'm afraid it's found in many Welsh govt and council offices.

Hell its prevalent on this forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Finny

Carry on believing that......

I'm afraid the future could have been different.
Remind us Electro how you would have built a bigger arena on the same footprint that the council gave. Or are you still of the opinion a second pad wasn't needed?
And where would you have got the £20m+ to build it?

It's easy for people to come forward after it's built and say "you should have done this" without knowing what actually happened. Don't forget if it hadn't been for SORAC we'd have ended up with ChavDome II, around 2800 seats and no second pad.

I have no problem with people suggesting improvements that need to be made or could be made, but to rubbish 10 years of work and campaigning is rude and simply uninformed.

Electro

Like l stated, it's hard to sell a concept to people blinded by their own opinion and that of others.

I've not rubbished any work or campaigning done by anybody, to suggest otherwise is simply not true.

I agree with your point of view regarding people's opinions after the build and without knowing what actually happened.

Finny

Like l stated, it's hard to sell a concept to people blinded by their own opinion and that of others.
So everyone other than yourself is wrong. Ok
:D

Let's not forget you claimed that IAW would never actually be finished.....and that no pre-season friendly against an AHL or NHL team meant we'd struggle to get decent attendances in the opening months of the season.....

Mooney#16

I get people look at it in plain attendance numbers and see it should be bigger but don't forget the inner workings of Devils tenancy deal. They have 3k plus without any ice time to pay plus I believe a deal on concessionary sales that boosts income. I'd wager if IAW had of been a bigger venue of 5k plus there would have been major major negotiation on costs to the Devils that whilst you may have got more bums on seats how would it have actually stacked up financially. I don't buy you simply have 2k punters worth more of profit. My hunch is the only benefit would be in additional secondary sales to a further 2k. Whilst a good figure it would not have been earth shattering. And whilst IAW tries to show its viable to the Devils I do have some sympathy for Greenbank. How many sports venues give the lead tenant a blank cheque. Whilst an amazing deal for the Devils and probably the single biggest reason Devils are currently where they are it's a huge loss for IAW trading wise.

Hindsight is simply a learning tool not a stick to beat people with. It's pointless to thrash it out on could of, should of etc. It's here. It's a great venue. Devils are in the strongest position they've ever been financially. If the arena is viable for expansion after the take over I'm sure it will be explored in earnest.

kingmo19.1

Talking of capacity, I have noticed that there seems to be more and more temporary seats in the area above the hospitality suites. Does anyone know if that space can be utilized to accommodate fixed seating? I'd guess you could get a couple of hundred up there. Would be a great vantage point.

dave

Talking of capacity, I have noticed that there seems to be more and more temporary seats in the area above the hospitality suites. Does anyone know if that space can be utilized to accommodate fixed seating? I'd guess you could get a couple of hundred up there. Would be a great vantage point.
They are only up there for storage....

Electro

Not only is it a huge trading loss it also potentially threatens the viability of the arena, which ultimately threatens the Devils.

Nobody wants a landlord who cannot sustain the venue. How viable the IAW is will decide its future and ultimately the Devils. Would any owner finance a business losing money, whether that be the Devils or the IAW.

Finny

Not only is it a huge trading loss it also potentially threatens the viability of the arena, which ultimately threatens the Devils.

Nobody wants a landlord who cannot sustain the venue. How viable the IAW is will decide its future and ultimately the Devils. Would any owner finance a business losing money, whether that be the Devils or the IAW.
What is a huge trading loss?

I know you seem to enjoy suggesting the future of the Cardiff Devils is at risk, but it isn't. Compared to where we have been over the lat 20 years the future has never looked secure.
I'm not sure what you are trying to imply, but if Greenbank decided they couldn't afford to run IAW anymore then the Calgary 4 would just buy it off them. And probably on the cheap.

pjj365

On a change of tack

I am amazed to see that tonights GB game does not feature on their web site

The self styled Ice Arena WALES in the capital city of Wales and home of mainstream international sport in Wales instead advertises public skating until 7pm

Viable businesses have ambition as one of their core values - seems sadly lacking here

And before I am jumped on I recognise that English ice hockey are equaly culpable

AND - again off track (but not about a lack of ambition) anyone notice there are moves in N Wales to set up a Welsh curling centre to enhance the current Deeside facility. Wonder if IAW have reached out to the Welsh Curling Association

Electro

What is a huge trading loss?
Finny, do you bother to read other posters comments, it's a reply to Mooney comment concerning the deal between the Devils and the IAW.

I know you seem to enjoy suggesting the future of the Cardiff Devils is at risk, but it isn't. Compared to where we have been over the lat 20 years the future has never looked secure.
I'm not sure what you are trying to imply, but if Greenbank decided they couldn't afford to run IAW anymore then the Calgary 4 would just buy it off them. And probably on the cheap.
The current lack of any investment and shambolic management of the IAW, added to a poorly designed rink for its dimensions would suggest that either the IAW is unable to make money or the current owners have absolutely no idea how to run the facility or it's an exercise in getting as much revenue from the business as possible before pulling out.

Yes Steve has voiced his ambitions, having said that, he has yet to buy it and has stated the drop in £ makes it more likely than pre Brexit.

How much of the Calgary 4 children inheritance are they willing to risk loosing, Steve is no fool, his previous roles in investment banking and his current success is not one built on loosing money. Greenbank are also not in the business of loosing money, if the IAW has business potential, it has a future, if it does not, it'll probably end up a Tesco's.

Devil_Abroad

Finny, do you bother to read other posters comments, it's a reply to Mooney comment concerning the deal between the Devils and the IAW.

The current lack of any investment and shambolic management of the IAW, added to a poorly designed rink for its dimensions would suggest that either the IAW is unable to make money or the current owners have absolutely no idea how to run the facility or it's an exercise in getting as much revenue from the business as possible before pulling out.

Yes Steve has voiced his ambitions, having said that, he has yet to buy it and has stated the drop in £ makes it more likely than pre Brexit.

How much of the Calgary 4 children inheritance are they willing to risk loosing, Steve is no fool, his previous roles in investment banking and his current success is not one built on loosing money. Greenbank are also not in the business of loosing money, if the IAW has business potential, it has a future, if it does not, it'll probably end up a Tesco's.

It wont be a Tesco that close to another one in Penarth.