Mike MacWilliam - A gent and pure class

kingmo19.1

This one always confused me - was his surname actually MACWILLIAM OR MACWILLIAMS? Have seen both on the shirts and game commentators have also used both names ? Can anyone clarify ? Thanks.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #24
MacWilliam, but I sent my devils jersey off to have stitched letters and number, didn't want iron pressed but came back MacWilliams, I was not happy but it still looked better than printed. .

Ahh maybe that's what I'm thinking of.
He was best friends with Welsh Christian singer/songwriter Martin Joseph. I'm pretty sure Mike went on tour with him as his sound guy. Not sure he was ever in a band. If he was, you sure wouldn't want to storm the stage or accidentally nudge one of his bandmates. ;)

Wannabe2

Mike was a born again Christian, he once said you don’t have to be a wimp to be one, I believe he used to visit Cardiff Nick to talk to young offenders, and said hockey had saved him as a young lad, as we was heading off the rails. He was indeed and still is a very good friend on Martin Joseph, and as bodybag says was a sound guy for him. If my memory serves me right, he threw his skates into Cardiff Bay, when finishing his careeer. Mike was one of the nicest guys you could ever wish to meet, and there’s never been a tougher player on these shores playing regularly here. He is still a huge friend of Ivan Matulik another Devils Legend, you could hit Mike over the head with a sledgehammer, he would then take it off you and then that would be you finished. Lovely man, great player, and a true honour to know him.

BostonBart22

Mike was a born again Christian, he once said you don’t have to be a wimp to be one, I believe he used to visit Cardiff Nick to talk to young offenders, and said hockey had saved him as a young lad, as we was heading off the rails. He was indeed and still is a very good friend on Martin Joseph, and as bodybag says was a sound guy for him. If my memory serves me right, he threw his skates into Cardiff Bay, when finishing his careeer. Mike was one of the nicest guys you could ever wish to meet, and there’s never been a tougher player on these shores playing regularly here. He is still a huge friend of Ivan Matulik another Devils Legend, you could hit Mike over the head with a sledgehammer, he would then take it off you and then that would be you finished. Lovely man, great player, and a true honour to know him.
At the time I heard it was penarth pier he threw his skates from.

He was my favourite player (and still my favourite devil of all time) I always wanted to wear #24 because of him. He gave me 2 of his sticks over the years which I still have, they are still taller than me to do this day..a big man and even bigger presence on the ice, an absolute gent off it.

Gough60

For me the best #24. AH come close but Mac did it for me. 1st time I took my daughter to a game she pointed out to me " Dad , did you see that number 24?, He just punched that man and the ref didn't see it"
Priceless memory's in such a short stint at the Devils.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #38
Thanks for the likes on this topic, it shows the love and appreciation for Mac which we all knew anyway.
For the newer or new fans watch the MacWilliam flashback on first page to see what you missed.