Mike MacWilliam - A gent and pure class

moggy#9

Slater was a real fruitcake, he would think nothing of slashing 1,2,3, players with his stick and around the head, not the legs. Total loonball.
I have a vague recollection of slater going after Doug McEwen and then getting the living shit beaten out of him for it. Am I misremembering? Anyone know?

Mike was a born again Christian, he once said you don’t have to be a wimp to be one, I believe he used to visit Cardiff Nick to talk to young offenders, and said hockey had saved him as a young lad, as we was heading off the rails. He was indeed and still is a very good friend on Martin Joseph, and as bodybag says was a sound guy for him. If my memory serves me right, he threw his skates into Cardiff Bay, when finishing his careeer. Mike was one of the nicest guys you could ever wish to meet, and there’s never been a tougher player on these shores playing regularly here. He is still a huge friend of Ivan Matulik another Devils Legend, you could hit Mike over the head with a sledgehammer, he would then take it off you and then that would be you finished. Lovely man, great player, and a true honour to know him.
It was Mike who got me into delivering Christmas meals to the OAP's with the Salvation Army, he did an appeal on the radio. The Sally Army did it on behalf of the council whilst they were on holiday over Xmas and the NY.
I did it for a number of years and Mike was often there helping out. very nice guy

JC23

Just a name to throw out there, not exactly a tough guy although he tried to be, but definitely had a screw loose - Joe Grimaldi.

What a fud that guy was.

august04 2.0

I have a vague recollection of slater going after Doug McEwen and then getting the living shit beaten out of him for it. Am I misremembering? Anyone know?
Do you mean the Ross Lambert incident at WNIR? Viciously attacked Doug, and then got battered by Chinny in the resulting bench clearance. It was a good job Shannon didn’t get hold of him after that attack - he went ballistic after he saw Doug's eye, but was thankfully restrained for the most part. That game was the closest I ever saw a rink get to a riot, it was a mad night. Going back to Slater, I remember him going after Moria in a game in Scotland shortly before the playoffs one year, which resulted in Moria being carried off the ice on a stretcher with his neck in a brace - a cross check to the head I think, although I wasn’t there.

moggy#9

Do you mean the Ross Lambert incident at WNIR? Viciously attacked Doug, and then got battered by Chinny in the resulting bench clearance. It was a good job Shannon didn’t get hold of him after that attack - he went ballistic after he saw Doug's eye, but was thankfully restrained for the most part. That game was the closest I ever saw a rink get to a riot, it was a mad night. Going back to Slater, I remember him going after Moria in a game in Scotland shortly before the playoffs one year, which resulted in Moria being carried off the ice on a stretcher with his neck in a brace - a cross check to the head I think, although I wasn’t there.
No, it wasn't the Ross Lambert incident. I remember that clearly. The moria incident rings a bell though, so maybe it was that I was thinking of.

terry hunt

Shirt lifting McMorrow, all he was concerned with was pulling his opponents shirt over their head, so they couldn’t see and then punching them, one of the dirtiest crap players I have ever seen. Biggest shithouse hit was against Adams, hitting him from behind into the Plexi and nearly splitting his helmet. Disliked him intensely, he was a real crap player and epitomised a real knuckle dragger.
Dont hold back mate you tell the truth

terry hunt

As we are on Doyle, remember him ? Perry Doyle thi k he started at Solihull then ended up at Sheffield I think , now he had a screw loose in some games v us..
Perry Doyle Solihull big hero then and now.Dampier deliberately used him to get players thrown out.He used him to get Mike Ware a few times.He did time for drug dealing came out and coached Solihull the kids and parents loved him as their minder.
I was surprised he was allowed to coach kids.Different times i assume.Next time we see Mr Simms i will ask him

Wannabe2

Nicky Chinn who was at Sheffield at the time, had just given Mike Wares brother Greg a pasting, Mike was then after Chinny, Steelers then put Perry Doyle on the ice with the Steelers crowd screaming Perry, Perry. Mike then called Doyle out shouting come on you pussy, Mike-was fuming the red mist had truly come down, Doyle didn’t look confident one bit, but unfortunately it never happened, Doyle was one big lad, but I think Mike would have taken his head off that day.

moggy#9

Nicky Chinn who was at Sheffield at the time, had just given Mike Wares brother Greg a pasting, Mike was then after Chinny, Steelers then put Perry Doyle on the ice with the Steelers crowd screaming Perry, Perry. Mike then called Doyle out shouting come on you pussy, Mike-was fuming the red mist had truly come down, Doyle didn’t look confident one bit, but unfortunately it never happened, Doyle was one big lad, but I think Mike would have taken his head off that day.
Mike ware was truly scary when the red mist descended. I remember one time he got hit against the boards just in front of where I sat in the wnir. There must have been a screw protruding and it ripped his face just below the eye. I think it was from the resulting fight that he ripped the top off the door to the team bench before being guided down to the changing room.

Wannabe2

Nicky Chinn who was at Sheffield at the time, had just given Mike Wares brother Greg a pasting, Mike was then after Chinny, Steelers then put Perry Doyle on the ice with the Steelers crowd screaming Perry, Perry. Mike the
Mike ware was truly scary when the red mist descended. I remember one time he got hit against the boards just in front of where I sat in the wnir. There must have been a screw protruding and it ripped his face just below the eye. I think it was from the resulting fight that he ripped the top off the door to the team bench before being guided down to the changing room.
Was this when he was a Steeler, and he was after Brent Pope by the players bench, it looked very nasty with lots of blood, also when Mike was with us his flat was burgled, my thoughts immediately went to can you imagine if Mike came home when the burglar was there, the red mist appearing that burglar would have crapped his pants big time.

moggy#9

Nicky Chinn who was at Sheffield at the time, had just given Mike Wares brother Greg a pasting, Mike was then after Chinny, Steelers then put Perry Doyle on the ice with the Steelers crowd screaming Perry, Perry. Mike the

Was this when he was a Steeler, and he was after Brent Pope by the players bench, it looked very nasty with lots of blood, also when Mike was with us his flat was burgled, my thoughts immediately went to can you imagine if Mike came home when the burglar was there, the red mist appearing that burglar would have crapped his pants big time.
Yes, I think it was when he was a steeler. I sat directly behind the steps to their dressing room. The state of his face looked like the terminator, which I think is where his nickname came from.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #98
The one thing that always stuck with me about Mac's fights was that there were always 2 officials on him and even then they struggled to stop him and drag him off, once he was in the zone i wouldn't have liked to be caught in the middle and he liked to try and plant the opposition players head in the ice once he'd got them down.

moggy#9

Interesting that elite prospects doesn't list Mike against our stars and cult players. I think that this thread demonstrates that he fits that description.

Without doubt for me the biggest knuckledragger by far, empty head and shoulders above anyone else in the EIHL era was Andrew Sharp!
He had absolutely NOTHING in his 'hockey locker', he couldn’t skate, he could only use his stick as a weapon
and if it’s even possible to have a negative number as his 'hockey IQ', Sharp had it.
Absolutely no redeeming factors, in fact Sheffield and Sharp were made for each other!