National Anthem!

Oryx

Thread starter #1
Just my personal opinion but i'm still very much so annoyed at the 'prompts' on the screens for the National Anthem. Growing up in Wales, that's one of the first things I learnt (along with the Lords Prayer). Anywayy.. if you're not Welsh then it's understandable if you don't know it or if you've never wanted to or chosen to sing it before (indeed, no-one can force you!) but anyway - I am offended at the 'phonetic' variation at our Anthem and I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same!

Gazza272

The words were put on the screen to try and encourage more people to sing the anthem, the version on the screen is i believe the version from the BBC.

I cant really see what is offensive about it (even though it annoys me that the BBC have gotten some bits wrong)

So i dont really see the problem in it, what i would say though is that with the bigger attendences we have been getting on the weekends, that turning the music off and letting the fans sing the anthem would be awesome to hear.

I quite like the phonetic version of the anthem. I know the anthem myself (being welsh and from west wales) but I believe there are many people who follow the Devils who have a very basic knowledge (if any) of the welsh language and it helps them join in. If they stuck the words up there as is many people wouldnt have a clue what to say!

Maybe this version is preferable ;)

My hen laid a haddock, one hand oiled a flea,
Glad farts and centurions threw dogs in the sea,
I could stew a hare here and brandish Dan's flan,
Don's ruddy bog's blocked up with sand.

Dad! Dad! Why don't you oil Auntie Glad?
Can whores appear in beer bottle pies,
O butter the hens as they fly!

I think its quite embarrasing that no one actually sings the anthem its like people are ashamed to sing it, when i went to the see the devils for the first time last season i started to sing it people were looking at me like i was daft. This is supposed to be the land of song and patriotism but not so when the anthem comes on at the rink. Wonder if anyone shares this view.

Koop11

The version put on the screens I feel is a good idea as it intends to encourage people to sing it who don’t speak Welsh and therefore won’t know how to read the words. I myself, ashamed to say, do not speak Welsh despite regarding myself as a patriotic Welshman at heart.

With regard to people hearing the rink sing along to the anthem, is there scope perhaps for the tune to be played but without the Welsh Choir singing. It maybe that fans will almost feel obliged to carry the tune.

Oryx

Thread starter #6
I have always sung the anthem! And like others, i get funny looks when i do (not that my singing is that bad!) and we always make a point of singing while we're away. To me, it sounds like alot of people sign around me but that's obvious because i'm there. I can't really explain anymore why it annoys me so much!!

I sing it every week but I feel i'm in the minority.

Most people know the chorus, maybe turning off the music for people to sing only the chorus? At away games a handful of people sing it and IMO sounds great (even if it's over music most of the time) :roll:

The words on the screen I thought was a good idea at the time, but I am yet to hear from one person who uses them. Can't hurt though I guess.....

A13D

Oryx said:
I have always sung the anthem! And like others, i get funny looks when i do (not that my singing is that bad!) and we always make a point of singing while we're away. To me, it sounds like alot of people sign around me but that's obvious because i'm there. I can't really explain anymore why it annoys me so much!!
same here. The only person who sings out loud is my old girl when she comes.
Think some people need some welsh pride

we all sing at the back of block 12 even a english man with us im welsh and very proud and always sing at away games

Lets all be proud and sing loud and make it happen :D :D

Koop11 said:
With regard to people hearing the rink sing along to the anthem, is there scope perhaps for the tune to be played but without the Welsh Choir singing. It maybe that fans will almost feel obliged to carry the tune.
I think it would be a good idea to play the tune without the Welsh choir singing it, I sing along each week (fairly quietly) but from where I stand I cant hear anyone else perhaps if everyone could hear each other it might be sung more robustly

What exactly is so offensive about it?? we weren't all blessed with being taught the anthem growing up in a now english dominant city. I tried learning it before they started doing it and got quite far but when you havent grown up speaking welsh its hard to grasp all the pronunciations. I don't see why anyone should be offended by trying to increase the singing of the anthem, to me its a positive thing.

steve

we'll it is offensive in the same kind of way it would be if you saw some english, say a beautifully written poem then converted into 'text speak' or street slang. it makes me cringe everytime i see it, but i'm happy to have it if it increases participation.

mazza03

Batman said:
I think its quite embarrasing that no one actually sings the anthem its like people are ashamed to sing it, when i went to the see the devils for the first time last season i started to sing it people were looking at me like i was daft. This is supposed to be the land of song and patriotism but not so when the anthem comes on at the rink. Wonder if anyone shares this view.
Excuse me! I ALWAYS SING THE ANTHEM, I'm WELSH and proud of it. Most of the fans in block 4 sing along as well ;)

You have to remember that with Cardiff being a good university city a lot of non-Welsh people come to this fine city and then stay. I fall into that category and I am ashamed to say that in my 14 years here, I do not know the words, yet. I have tried to learn them but failed, but I still stand and show my respect. I just wish I could see the screens from the plexi because it would help me

Im not Welsh speaking but do find the 'words' on screen a bit annoying. I do always sing a long though however echo a previous comment that i'd prefer a different version of the anthem played.

It'd be nice to get somebody who could sing the anthem live each week like in the NHL. Im sure there must be some budding singer who would happily go out and sing the anthem each week?

I cringe at the words on display also - If you have lived in Wales you can try to pronounce even if your not fluent I think it makes us look stupid to the visiting supporters - I don't speak Welsh and I confess I don't know it off by heart but it comes back to me when I am singing it and the proper words would be preferable.

I see what you mean however, it was suggested to increase the amount of people who sing the anthem. There's no real accurate way of checking I guess but IMO the noise level is the same.