National Anthem!

James

Administrator
My personal opinion is that the vocals on the track dissuade people from singing. Always sounds better away at Cov than at home because people have to make the effort.

I am totally against the made-up words on the screen... I mean what the hell kind of impression is that going to give the away supporters? We don't know our own anthem, and can't even read our own language so we have to have some phonetic garbage up there? Granted not many people speak Welsh (myself included), but I'm sure most people could sing to the 'real' words.

I think a lot of welsh people are too proud to agree to the fact that the welsh language within this city is dead and so yeah, a lot of welsh people cant speak the language or read the words. The welsh language is not enforced enough in our schools and to be honest, kids cant really be bothered to learn a language they feel they are not going to use. I hope they dont stop using the pheonetic version because some people think its rubbish.
I will agree maybe they should use a version without people singing over the top as more people would probably sing.

nmase20 said:
I think a lot of welsh people are too proud to agree to the fact that the welsh language within this city is dead
I think you'll find that Welsh is thriving in Cardiff - the point is if you're not a Welsh speaker then you don't go to those places where it's spoken often. Doesn't mean it isn't being spoken just because you don't hear it.

I sing the anthem every game and to be honest don't really care if I'm the only one in the whole building doing it (I know that I'm not!). we can't force people to sing if they don't want to. The so-called phonetic version on the screens are dreadful and I'd prefer that they weren't there but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Jones72

dafp said:
nmase20 said:
I think a lot of welsh people are too proud to agree to the fact that the welsh language within this city is dead
I think you'll find that Welsh is thriving in Cardiff - the point is if you're not a Welsh speaker then you don't go to those places where it's spoken often. Doesn't mean it isn't being spoken just because you don't hear it.

I sing the anthem every game and to be honest don't really care if I'm the only one in the whole building doing it (I know that I'm not!). we can't force people to sing if they don't want to. The so-called phonetic version on the screens are dreadful and I'd prefer that they weren't there but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
Spot on...and you got there first! Damn.

If the Welsh language is dead in Cardiff then how come the number of Welsh medium schools in the Cardiff area has increased over the past 30 years or so? I think it was around 2007 that the Council had to put a plan together to address the continued increase in demand for Welsh medium schools in the area, and only this year there appears to have been a fuss over closure of English medium schools in favour of opening new Welsh schools?

Regardless, having been raised in Cardiff and having lived over the border for 8 years before moving back just under 3 years ago, on my return one of the first things I noticed walking through town was the number of people I could hear speaking Welsh. More than I remember previously.

But I digress...

I sing the anthem, and like Daf don't care if I'm the only one. I also think the phonetic thing is rubbish...if it genuinely helps get a few more people singing then so be it, but to be honest I think it's a cop out (you don't see a phonetic version in the Millenium stadium yet plenty of people manage to sing).

[And before anyone suggests so...no, I'm not a militant nationalist...that's my mother!]

It's amazing how the same topics come up again. And the same suggestions.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=660

I can't from memory recall whether Rhythm did play an instrumental version last season to encourage us to sing, but I'm sure he would have done. It obviously didn't work too well, otherwise he would have continued.

You have to remember that our tent does not have very good acoustics, so if only half the people sing, it may not sound that loud. The Millennium Stadium is slightly different, what with it being a concert venue too, plus they have a few more people there to sing :)

Jones72 said:
dafp said:
nmase20 said:

Spot on...and you got there first! Damn.

If the Welsh language is dead in Cardiff then how come the number of Welsh medium schools in the Cardiff area has increased over the past 30 years or so? I think it was around 2007 that the Council had to put a plan together to address the continued increase in demand for Welsh medium schools in the area, and only this year there appears to have been a fuss over closure of English medium schools in favour of opening new Welsh schools?

Regardless, having been raised in Cardiff and having lived over the border for 8 years before moving back just under 3 years ago, on my return one of the first things I noticed walking through town was the number of people I could hear speaking Welsh. More than I remember previously.

But I digress...

I sing the anthem, and like Daf don't care if I'm the only one. I also think the phonetic thing is rubbish...if it genuinely helps get a few more people singing then so be it, but to be honest I think it's a cop out (you don't see a phonetic version in the Millenium stadium yet plenty of people manage to sing).

[And before anyone suggests so...no, I'm not a militant nationalist...that's my mother!]
Sure there are more welsh schools but it i would still say its in the minority and cardiff has and always will be an english language based city.

Welsh a dead language - what planet are you living on????

So proud of my 2 young children singing the anthem every time they visit the blue tent. Phoenetic version is a disgrace, its laughable. Take a little time to learn the words and then everyone can sing loud and proud.

Has anyone that knows the anthem ever tried reading through the phoenetic version and tried pronouncing it as if you didn't know Welsh? Some of the words are a bit off and its just going to make people sing it wrong. The best way would be to get a few varieties of the anthem up on youtube or something, and get the actual words and listen to it over and over again following the words as your listening and then try joining in. I did that with the French anthem and learned it in no time, despite not knowing how to pronounce most French words before I started learning it. If people really want to learn it, it wouldn't take too much time or effort.

I think everyone should be taught it in school. I cringe when I see footballers etc singing the wrong words to their own national anthem.

Jones72

nmase20 said:
Sure there are more welsh schools but it i would still say its in the minority and cardiff has and always will be an english language based city.
No one's said that it isn't in a minority. Your original post stated that it was a dying language...in fact, I just checked and your exact words were that it is dead. Different thing entirely.

The counter-point made by both DafP and myself is that far from being in decline and near the point of extinction in Cardiff, as you suggest, the Welsh language is very much alive and is in fact enjoying a significant revival thanks mainly (it has to be said) to the large numbers of monoglot parents putting their kids through a bilingual education.

A minority, yes, but less of a minority than it was 30 years ago...and that's a good thing.

ok maybe i used the wrong term in saying it is dead, or my idea of what you would class as it being dead is different to yours. The point im trying to put across is that very few people can actually speak the language, and im not counting being able to sing the song or say hi my names jim and i like coffee. Im definately not saying its a bad thing that its coming back either, i wish my school had put more into teaching us the language and the anthem, but they didnt. I also stand by the fact that a lot of children (obviously not including those that go to welsh schools) in cardiff cant be bothered to learn it because its not really needed.

mazza03

When I started going to the hockey I'd forgotten a lot of the words (well let's face it, it's a long time since I went to school :? ) My daughter bought a beautiful copy from the Welsh shop opposite the castle, I hung it on the wall and every time I went past I would go through it. Well it worked for me and no, I don't speak welsh. But boy do I wish that I could.

Jones72

mazza03 said:
When I started going to the hockey I'd forgotten a lot of the words (well let's face it, it's a long time since I went to school :? ) My daughter bought a beautiful copy from the Welsh shop opposite the castle, I hung it on the wall and every time I went past I would go through it. Well it worked for me and no, I don't speak welsh. But boy do I wish that I could.
:)

Hat's off to you. Sorry...da iawn ti!!

In all honesty, though, it's not that difficult is it!? This is sort of the point that's being made about the relevance of a phonetic version.

I mean...the vowel sounds and diphongs are easy and consistent, there's no confusion regarding phonetic variation of letter combinations ("...ough" anyone?!), and apart one or two consonant's then it's pretty straight forward. What's more...you hear it every week so any errors can be easily corrected!

All it takes is a little application.

i have to say i agree with a few of you, i wouldnt say im offended by the "wenglish" version but i am bothered by it.
at the end of the day its not welsh, plain and simple.
What sort of message does this say when the away supporters see those "wenglish" words on screen? (although im not sure if they can tell the difference) and maybe even they know its not welsh. I guess the point im trying to say is if i were not welsh but seen this fake welsh being put on the screens i would laugh at the fact that they need help how to speak there own language let alone sing the anthem

Jones72

MikeRichards18 said:
I guess the point im trying to say is if i were not welsh but seen this fake welsh being put on the screens i would laugh at the fact that they need help how to speak there own language let alone sing the anthem
It's this precise point that caused a significant raise in blood pressure in my (more outwardly militant) mother!

Using this phonetic form reinforces the misconception that Welsh is a dying language.

Jones72 said:
MikeRichards18 said:
I guess the point im trying to say is if i were not welsh but seen this fake welsh being put on the screens i would laugh at the fact that they need help how to speak there own language let alone sing the anthem
It's this precise point that caused a significant raise in blood pressure in my (more outwardly militant) mother!

Using this phonetic form reinforces the misconception that Welsh is a dying language.

aye, i'd have to agree with you there. Welsh language or not the fact is some people just dont know the national anthem. I'd just like to see the ACTUAL national anthem on the screens...(albeit i havent been to a game this season yet :oops: )

drainage

MikeRichards18 said:
aye, i'd have to agree with you there. Welsh language or not the fact is some people just dont know the national anthem. I'd just like to see the ACTUAL national anthem on the screens...(albeit i havent been to a game this season yet :oops: )
Isnt it still compulsory to learn Welsh in schools these days ? I had to take welsh lessons until I was 13 and whilst I am not 25 anymore I am not 70 either ! Either way welsh lessons or not its our national anthem and should be taught - I am sure if God save the Queen was not in english it would be taught in schools (though the options for another language are limited I agree!!)

TheStub

I remember being in junior school, and being forced to sit in the hall and learn the Anthem and Lord's Prayer in Welsh.

The entire year sat cross legged sat saying a line at a time.

Mind you, last night Hull had the worst version of God Save the Queen I have ever heard, and no-one sang.