National Anthem!

Eagles8

The way to enhance the Anthem experience is to have someone on the red carpet singing it. This has the effect of motivating people to join in. Singers are out there to do this. The Devils could hold a completion to find a singer for their anthem? Rhythm did a great job of this. Most NHL teams have a resident singer so could be a promotion exercise, a bit like the mascot one.

Alternatively you approach the music colleagues, societies etc, with the carrot dangler being free tickets for the singer and friends. This might also encourage more paying customers from the college/societies you approach to attend. This is a logistical exercise getting someone every week to do this, and not sure of the resource implication for the Devils in organising this, but it will add the match night experience more than recorded versions. The band last week for example could maybe have been approached to do an acoustic version if they were able.

I am a music teacher and spend all my days singing. However I refuse to do it at the games as I think it is an insult to put it up there. I know that is strong but thats how I feel. Its embarassing. We are Welsh and proud. Put the words up there but no need to do it phonetically. I have recently brought a few new people to the game and they laughed out loud when they saw it.

Wannabe2

Eagles8 said:
The way to enhance the Anthem experience is to have someone on the red carpet singing it. This has the effect of motivating people to join in. Singers are out there to do this. The Devils could hold a completion to find a singer for their anthem? Rhythm did a great job of this. Most NHL teams have a resident singer so could be a promotion exercise, a bit like the mascot one.

Alternatively you approach the music colleagues, societies etc, with the carrot dangler being free tickets for the singer and friends. This might also encourage more paying customers from the college/societies you approach to attend. This is a logistical exercise getting someone every week to do this, and not sure of the resource implication for the Devils in organising this, but it will add the match night experience more than recorded versions. The band last week for example could maybe have been approached to do an acoustic version if they were able.
Sorry dont agree one bit, either you feel it and want to sing it, feel it and dont, or just dont feel it. People make there own mind up what they want to do however its portrayed, myself i dont have a problem with it, not everyone sang it at the old gaff, and its no different now, cant see the problem really.

jimmy snels

well the vast majority of us didnt need words yesterday when we sang over the chavs enouncments :D we sung much loader than them...........mainly due to none of them singing at all! :lol:

Well i'm quite chuffed singing it every week being a brummie myself! Steve taught me the words phonetically and i keep them on paper in my wallet ( I might add his phonetic version is a lot more helpful than the beeb one on the screens)

We had a few singers a couple of years ago that i helped to get in whilst I was studying at music college. I still have some contacts there and would be happy to go and ask people/ pass on numbers to Rhythm... would people want a singer on the ice, would that help ?

Finny

annabelandcelia said:
I am a music teacher and spend all my days singing. However I refuse to do it at the games as I think it is an insult to put it up there. I know that is strong but thats how I feel. Its embarassing. We are Welsh and proud. Put the words up there but no need to do it phonetically. I have recently brought a few new people to the game and they laughed out loud when they saw it.
Really?
Isn't that a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face?

I just look at the flags and sing the anthem. I don't even bother to look at the screens.

Hey Finny

Yeah, I suppose you could look at it that way. I just feel it "dumbs" the Welsh down a bit....

Do you know what though, we are having a great season and anthem words or no anthem words Im loving going to every game! Bring on the weekend!

at least you have an anthem, how embarrassing is it at playoffs (the odd occasion when giants get there) and we're never sure what random song they'll pick for Belfasts national anthem :oops:

Jacko said:
at least you have an anthem, how embarrassing is it at playoffs (the odd occasion when giants get there) and we're never sure what random song they'll pick for Belfasts national anthem :oops:
How about:

"king Billy's on the wall
king Billy's on the wall
He stands so high
and shines so bright...." :lol: :lol:

Jones72

No phonetic version of the anthem on the screens last night, and I can't say the standard of singing was any less than usual (marginally better, if anything, but that could be because there were a few new faces near me that were singing as well).

Paul & Hubbs...I think there's a case for putting the real words up there now, or if not...having nothing. There's no benefit to having the phonetic version on-screen.