Next years team.

ASHIPP

And the Storm have just announced that Jack Prince is joining them next season. A great signing...would have loved to see him on the Devils' roster.

Pleximan

This season really has been a major disappointment, we were looking good to win more silverware until the wheels fell off in February. Were the players tired? Were Sheffield's? Were Coventry's?

Looking at the roster fom my post above i would also offer Haddad a new contract, he works hard every night and maybe also Culligan.
But....the bottom line is whoever is on the roster next season i expect and demand trophies!

I work hard in my job with demands upon me so i work hard for my ££s i think it is only fair hat i demand the same from my beloved Cardiff Devils, my passion and love since '89.
I am also starting to lean towards Lord moving to bench coach in a suit to coach the Devils with a tougher attitude towards the players. Perhaps this is an area that the Devils do need to look at.

Whatever happens i think this will be an interesting off season for the Devils and perhaps losing badly in the semi final today is a watershed moment that will demand change or the better.

Electro

Reading Twitter maybe we should keep all the team, change the name to the Cardiff Angels.

No-one is more gutted than the players, apparently.

august04

Pleximan said:
This season really has been a major disappointment, we were looking good to win more silverware until the wheels fell off in February. Were the players tired? Were Sheffield's? Were Coventry's?

Looking at the roster fom my post above i would also offer Haddad a new contract, he works hard every night and maybe also Culligan.
But....the bottom line is whoever is on the roster next season i expect and demand trophies!

I work hard in my job with demands upon me so i work hard for my ££s i think it is only fair hat i demand the same from my beloved Cardiff Devils, my passion and love since '89.
I am also starting to lean towards Lord moving to bench coach in a suit to coach the Devils with a tougher attitude towards the players. Perhaps this is an area that the Devils do need to look at.

Whatever happens i think this will be an interesting off season for the Devils and perhaps losing badly in the semi final today is a watershed moment that will demand change or the better.
I don't think it's realistic to demand trophies, even though that's what we all want as fans. However I think it's entirely appropriate to demand players show pride in their performance, passion, heart and give their best every night. Those attributes have been sadly lacking in way too many of the team this year.

Gospel

First thing id like to say is that i believe Lordo & Todd are the right guys for the job. No player goes onto the ice wanting to lose, however today so many of team didnt want to win as much as Blaze.

As for next seasons team id keep Bownsy, Batchy, Hendo, Hotham, Fournier, Ritchie, Lord, Martin, Doucet, Haddad.

Ones i wouldnt lose sleep over not coming back Salters, Kurka, Russell, Mo.

Others are either way.

Id like to see Lord stay as player coach but to get some strong on ice leaders who are not worried about saying things as they are & ruffling feathers when needed.

mazza03

Ocko said:
Bowns, Fournier, Richie, Batch, Hotham, Martin, Doucet, Haddad.

The rest are replaceable and should be, not necessarily for better players in terms of ability but in terms of their winning mentality. Sheffield aren't a better side for ability but have the arrogance and swagger of winners about them. We have nothing like that. A team of nice guys.

We need a better fourth line option. The way I look at it, would Jones and Piggott get into any other team in the league? I personally don't think so. Great guys evidentially but we come up short compared to a lot of other teams in this area.

Lord to the bench.
What about Joey Martin?????

Ocko

mazza03 said:
Ocko said:

The rest are replaceable and should be, not necessarily for better players in terms of ability but in terms of their winning mentality. Sheffield aren't a better side for ability but have the arrogance and swagger of winners about them. We have nothing like that. A team of nice guys.

We need a better fourth line option. The way I look at it, would Jones and Piggott get into any other team in the league? I personally don't think so. Great guys evidentially but we come up short compared to a lot of other teams in this area.

Lord to the bench.
Um he's there...

Finny

I think the biggest question for Kelman and Lord next season, is do we go with 4 full lines next season or stick with what we have now?

If it's 4 full lines then we are going to need two new Brits. Can we convince two players of a good enough quality to come here and play on a 4th line?

The alternative is to keep it similar to what we have now. Sign a 10th import forward who plays on a checking line with Jones and Piggott. They could be an out and out enforcer, or someone like Hervato who can slot into one of the top 3 lines due to penalties or injuries when needed.

ASHIPP

Finny said:
I think the biggest question for Kelman and Lord next season, is do we go with 4 full lines next season or stick with what we have now?

If it's 4 full lines then we are going to need two new Brits. Can we convince two players of a good enough quality to come here and play on a 4th line?

The alternative is to keep it similar to what we have now. Sign a 10th import forward who plays on a checking line with Jones and Piggott. They could be an out and out enforcer, or someone like Hervato who can slot into one of the top 3 lines due to penalties or injuries when needed.
Panthers' 4th line gave them the depth and energy to win the CC final. The top teams rich with British players and an extra import will be able to run with that option. It could be a major decision if a team is serious about challenging.

And tberein lies our problem. Devils have 3 outstanding Britisb defencemen (hope Devils secure multi-year deals with these guys) but our rivals all have good British forwards to add depth. Pipe dreams to imagine any of them will uproot home and family to come here. Next option is EPL where many Brits have jobs where they play. After that it's the 3rd tier NIHL....their players just wouldn't cope at this level. Addding to our British players wl be a massive challenge this year.

Ocko

A fourth line should be relatively easy to put together. Just get Ben Davies and Myers back. Not getting Matt back was a stupid move this year, still one of the best British players and we let him go to have spare imports sitting in the stands.

KaneDevils

Could we not put together a 4th line of the best young brits we have available? No disrespect to piggsy or cj but they didn't put up numbers. I know they did a good job and gave it their all but for me, at this level, that's not enough. Some rising stars on that line could be beneficial also for their and the club's future.

ASHIPP

Massive loss when Matthew went. Think the club probably realise that.

I don't see Matthew leaving the Panthers especially after they have won something. And Ben looks settled at the Clan. Think they would both expect to be playing on lines of similar quality as their current clubs.

Ocko

ASHIPP said:

I don't see Matthew leaving the Panthers especially after they have won something. And Ben looks settled at the Clan. Think they would both expect to be playing on lines of similar quality as their current clubs.
Matthew is playing on the fourth line at Nottingham.

We didn't approach Ben last year and offered Myers a fraction of his previous deal.

ASHIPP

Ocko said:
ASHIPP said:

I don't see Matthew leaving the Panthers especially after they have won something. And Ben looks settled at the Clan. Think they would both expect to be playing on lines of similar Rhe quality as their current clubs.

We didn't approach Ben last year and offered Myers a fraction of his previous deal.
The fourth line in Nottingham is Lawrence-Farmer-Jansen

Matthew, it was rumoured, was offered 10th forward position at Devils last season which would have meant limited ice time. At Panthers he plays every game. As does Ben at the Clan.

Does anyone honestly and realistically believe either of those good players will return to the Devils?

backrow

One of the problems I've seen this year is that on certain nights the so called 3rd line has played better than the top 2 lines but hasn't had their ice time increased and that has happened with the defense pairings also.

mazza03

Ocko said:
mazza03 said:
Ocko said:

Lord to the bench.
Um he's there...
Oooops sorry :oops:

KaneDevils

ASHIPP said:
Ocko said:
ASHIPP said:

I don't see Matthew leaving the Panthers especially after they have won something. And Ben looks settled at the Clan. Think they would both expect to be playing on lines of similar Rhe quality as their current clubs.

The fourth line in Nottingham is Lawrence-Farmer-Jansen

Matthew, it was rumoured, was offered 10th forward position at Devils last season which would have meant limited ice time. At Panthers he plays every game. As does Ben at the Clan.

Does anyone honestly and realistically believe either of those good players will return to the Devils?

Myers no. Benny? Hopefully/maybe.

voth26

myers didnt want to return this year i heard, if thats true then it wouldnt have been the clubs decision to not sign him??

RTfarty

KaneDevils said:
Could we not put together a 4th line of the best young brits we have available? No disrespect to piggsy or cj but they didn't put up numbers. I know they did a good job and gave it their all but for me, at this level, that's not enough. Some rising stars on that line could be beneficial also for their and the club's future.
That is exactly what CJ and Piggott were/are, the best young and upcoming Brits in the club. You're living in a fairytale if you think anyone currently in the junior/senior teams could step up and do a better job than those 2! All you have to do is look at their previous point production at NIHL level to understand that.

I would have them back in a heartbeat. They play a thankless role and there is simply no chance a top level Brit would come to Cardiff to play 4th line hockey.