Panthers v Devils - Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - League - FO 7:30 - Chat/Updates

ASHIPP

What is wrong with Mark Louis? Sounds like he is being sorely missed tonight.

Isn't this the game in hand the Devils had over the Giants?

Can never ever write off even an inconsistent Panthers'team. Their performances will have a huge influence on which team finishes No1 this season.

SteveKing

I knew that this would likely be our toughest game of the entire season to win. I've watched and played a lot of sports over the years and there is nothing tougher than coming off of such an emotional high in Belfast and getting right back at it so quickly against a good (and hungry) team. Four combined goals with the goalie pulled certainly added some excitement for the crowd!

So let's hit the reset button, get the focus and emotions back in the right place and take care of business. Coventry, Edinburgh, Manchester and Dundee coming up can be very tricky games if we look past them.

Russky

Not happy with that result. we didn't put anwhere near enoughy pressure on Wiikman at all by not crashing, his net at will. This may have drawn some penalties from the Panthers D unit and given our forwards more room to create chances. I am NEVER in favour of pulling the netminder, we did it twice tonight and it cost us the game.

OK, so we are 7 points ahead of Belfast but we could have been 9pts ahead and really put an end to their title hopes. Now we have WASTED that opportunity of converting the game in hand we had over them into two more points.

BostonBart22

Not happy with that result. we didn't put anwhere near enoughy pressure on Wiikman at all by not crashing, his net at will. This may have drawn some penalties from the Panthers D unit and given our forwards more room to create chances. I am NEVER in favour of pulling the netminder, we did it twice tonight and it cost us the game.

OK, so we are 7 points ahead of Belfast but we could have been 9pts ahead and really put an end to their title hopes. Now we have WASTED that opportunity of converting the game in hand we had over them into two more points.

Devil94

Not happy with that result. we didn't put anwhere near enoughy pressure on Wiikman at all by crashing his net at will. This may have drawn some penalties from the Panthers D unit and given our forwards more room to create chances. I am NEVER in favour of pulling the netminder, we did it twice tonight and it cost us the game.

In what way did it lose us the game? We were 5-2 down. We scored twice from pulling Murdy. Would you rather have just gone through the motions and lose 5-2? If they score straight away well there we go lost by 3 goals turns in to lost by 4 goals, big deal.

And we've just come off an 8 game winning run in the latter stages of the league. We were always going to lose a game before the end of the season and we'll probably lose more. We're not going to win every game and it sounds like they gave a good effort tonight after what must have been a very tiring weekend.

E.D.S.

As I've mentioned before, look at previous winners of this leagues and how many games they've lost. I agree with Devils94.....as frustrating as this is, we'll probably lose a couple more. Hopefully not. A great 8 win streak comes to an end. Hard lines boys.

Russky

so 38 shots on wiikman is not pressure is it.
we didn't crash his net enough to put him under physical pressure i.e.' get in his face' so to speak to throw him off his game, which may have drawn some retaliation from the Panthers defence and subsequently penalties.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

Okay let's try to get a bit of perspective here, we were never going to win all our remaining games, and probably our rivals won't either, that's a bit of a tough ask for anyone. So let's get it out of the way now, Panthers away when they are like a wounded animal is probably as hard as it gets. 3 extremely tough games in 5 days carrying injuries was always going to be one uphill battle. We now need to re-group, re -focus, and come back stronger, no one was ever going to win the league going into the 3rd week into February. Tonight was disappointing to us all, but we are still the team to catch, we now put it behind us, it happened we don't like it, but we now move on. Few days rest and then we go again. Don't get too down the others are still playing catch up.

Its a loss and not surprising after an emotional weekend against Belfast. A sucker game. No use worrying about this one, get back to work in a day or so and get mentally ready for Sat and Sun. Can't worry about what's behind, look ahead. Control what you can control

august04

Wins have been rare for us at the NIC over the years. It's as tough a place to go and win as there is in the EIHL - especially when their owner is in town and stated in the pre-game fan forum that the team were playing for their jobs next year! The wins in Belfast allowed us the odd slip up....but no more please!

backrow

I have to agree with Finny!
I think I'll wait to see the "lowlights" before deciding if the whole D had a bad game or if a few D did, either getting caught up the ice or through turnovers? Perhaps the forwards weren't coming back like they should or perhaps Bownsy would like to replay a few? Then again, perhaps it was a collective off game?
Also interested to see how Kearney looked.

Finny

MNL coverage is good enough and detailed enough for me to form a valid opinion, without the need of a wehcast.
Sorry Russky but it's not. Your opinion is based completely on someone else's opinion. They could be drunk, they could be negative, they could hold a grudge against a particular player.
This is not a criticism of MNL, but I find it bizarre that people can have such a strong opinion on a game they didn't watch.

pjj365

I try not to get personal on here.

All I will say is that MNL and RAR did not provide me with enough detail to comment on whether we crashed the net or not. SOG and the final 15 mins as reported suggest we did not give up. Even though I'm disappointed that will do for me

We are still top dog in the fight this evening