Panthers v Devils - Tuesday 21 Feb 2017 - League - FO 7:30 - Chat/Updates

ASHIPP

Got to admit, I am also completely baffled why Big Lou was a healthy scratch last night - the most consistent and in form of our defencemen of recent weeks.

Doubly confusing when Benti was out through injury - so surely no need to 'healthy scratch' anybody?

Not enough credit given to Thomas Murdy on here - sounds like he played a v solid game going in at 4-1 down. He only conceded 1 goal at 5-1 - the other two were scored when he was pulled. Well done Tom.

Gazza272

Got to admit, I am also completely baffled why Big Lou was a healthy scratch last night - the most consistent and in form of our defencemen of recent weeks.

Doubly confusing when Benti was out through injury - so surely no need to 'healthy scratch' anybody?

Not enough credit given to Thomas Murdy on here - sounds like he played a v solid game going in at 4-1 down. He only conceded 1 goal at 5-1 - the other two were scored when he was pulled. Well done Tom.
Bentivoligo is an EU passport holder, you can't swap a non EU for an EU. hence we had to play an import short.

pjj365

Don't see conceding goals as an issue if you are already losing

Pulling the nettie is not even a do or die scenario. At this point it can only be do 'cause you are already dead

youngbob

we have 67 points, Belfast could make 78 if they win all 7 remaining games, Sheffield max 80 from 8 wins

we need 13 from 9 to be guaranteed 80 points

2 points from each in 4 games brings their max numbers to 76 and 78, leaving us needing 79 in total, which I make 8 from our other 5 games

one game at a time, but it's not time to panic yet

terry hunt

Don't see conceding goals as an issue if you are already losing

Pulling the nettie is not even a do or die scenario. At this point it can only be do 'cause you are already dead
I agree losing 2-0 or 4-0 is irrelevant its still a loss.I think Lordo was right we actually were 5-1 down but fought back to 5-4 which i thought was great.ENG's are a bit of a lottery we have missed loads of them last night the Panthers didnt.

Have Hope#35

I agree losing 2-0 or 4-0 is irrelevant its still a loss.I think Lordo was right we actually were 5-1 down but fought back to 5-4 which i thought was great.ENG's are a bit of a lottery we have missed loads of them last night the Panthers didnt.
5-3 and 6-4, we never actually got closer than 2 Goals! It was worth a try though...

DevilDom

Because we were 5-3 down and really fighting back, we pulled Murdy twice and Panthers score two ENGs. Ok we got one goal back to bring it to 6-4 but then Panthers scored their seventh goal (their 2nd empty netter) and thus putting the game beyond the Devils.
To correct you from someone who was at the game. We were 5-2 down when Murdy was first pullled with 5 minutes to play. We then put panthers under enormous pressure for almost 2 minutes with the extra man and scored to make it 5-3 with still more than 3 minutes to play. Again Murdy is pulled and again we are putting panthers under huge pressure, an unlucky break with what looked like a hand pass and the panthers score and EN goal and make it 6-3. Despite this we go again, pull Murdy again, huge pressure and score again to make it 6-4 with still around 2 minutes to go. Unfortunately it didn't work out a 3rd time but absolutely loved the never-say-die attitude, the pressure we put panthers under at the end and the practice this gave us doing this in a game situation. This maybe crucial down the strecth in a game where maybe we only need 1 goal to pull it back.

As for the game, it was strangely enjoyable despite the scoreline. We looked very good going forward with fantastic interplay between the likes of Asselin, Haddad, Ulmer, Martin, etc. Two very poor defesive errors in the 1st period cost us dearly when we were controlling the game, Panthers gained confidence and we chased a bit too hard in the 2nd but came back to make a game of it before being beaten by a couple of empty net goals.

Bowns was unlucky to be pulled as 3 of the 4 goals he conceded he was left hung out to dry but Murdy did well when he came in. I think we missed Louis as defence looked a bit tired and shaky but overall the performance wasn't as bad as the score suggests. Just one of those nights.

Devil94

To correct you from someone who was at the game. We were 5-2 down when Murdy was first pullled with 5 minutes to play. We then put panthers under enormous pressure for almost 2 minutes with the extra man and scored to make it 5-3 with still more than 3 minutes to play. Again Murdy is pulled and again we are putting panthers under huge pressure, an unlucky break with what looked like a hand pass and the panthers score and EN goal and make it 6-3. Despite this we go again, pull Murdy again, huge pressure and score again to make it 6-4 with still around 2 minutes to go. Unfortunately it didn't work out a 3rd time but absolutely loved the never-say-die attitude, the pressure we put panthers under at the end and the practice this gave us doing this in a game situation. This maybe crucial down the strecth in a game where maybe we only need 1 goal to pull it back.

As for the game, it was strangely enjoyable despite the scoreline. We looked very good going forward with fantastic interplay between the likes of Asselin, Haddad, Ulmer, Martin, etc. Two very poor defesive errors in the 1st period cost us dearly when we were controlling the game, Panthers gained confidence and we chased a bit too hard in the 2nd but came back to make a game of it before being beaten by a couple of empty net goals.

Bowns was unlucky to be pulled as 3 of the 4 goals he conceded he was left hung out to dry but Murdy did well when he came in. I think we missed Louis as defence looked a bit tired and shaky but overall the performance wasn't as bad as the score suggests. Just one of those nights.
How did Kearney get on? Was he on the PP?

Devil94

we have 67 points, Belfast could make 78 if they win all 7 remaining games, Sheffield max 80 from 8 wins

we need 13 from 9 to be guaranteed 80 points

2 points from each in 4 games brings their max numbers to 76 and 78, leaving us needing 79 in total, which I make 8 from our other 5 games

one game at a time, but it's not time to panic yet
So if we get 13 points from remaining 9 games, that secures us the title. And the 13 will drop if steelers \ giants drop points? Is this right?

I've heard the phrase 'laid seige' used many times but that's essentially what the Devils did in the 3rd period. Until they went with 6 outskaters they did everything except score and on another night could have picked up a bagful of goals in the period had it not been for bounces, skates, sticks and netminding. An audacious move to go with 6 skaters with 5:11 remaining and it left the Panthers reeling, unable to change lines as missed goal attempts lead to icing calls.

I don't get to watch the Devils very often (living in Yorkshire and resenting lining Tony Smith's pockets!) but in 30 years I've never enjoyed a defeat as much as this one!

Diafol,

It's the away games that is a problem, with a reported 300+ fans in Belfast last weekend I managed to get 1 texter on saturday night and he does over 80% of away games for MNL.
Hello, I offered to send updates for mnl yesterday. Nott Simpson said to send period updates. I tried and failed. I sent a first period update but when I turned the phone on in the second interval I saw it hadnt been sent due to an initialising error. I dont know what that means. Anyway, Im sorry to have let people down. I did try but technology is not my forte, as you might guess from my inability to find out how to insert apostrophes into this message.

However, If an unsociable technophobe like me can overcome his inadequacies and be willing to support the mnl service for which we are all grateful, I would hope that a few more people would be willing to contribute,too.

I will try again at a future away game. If just half a dozen more people sent period updates for the first and second periods it would offer a substantial increase on the information and opinions currently available. I dont know how Im managing to sound quite so pious when I failed so completely to provide any comments yesterday but the same people consistently put in an awful lot of effort and they would benefit from some support. Ive been to an awful lot of away games and have never sent a comment to mnl. Perhaps we should all try to send at least one text when we attend away games.

Sorry again Nott Simpson.