Panthers Vs Devils - League - 30th Oct 22 - 16:00 FO

Wannabe2

We don’t have a divine right to beat anybody but having watched the Devils since the early days, I do expect, by and large, for any Devils teams to work hard, show some passion/desire and give it their best shot. If that happens on a regular basis (you’re always going to get the odd game that doesn’t work out that way), then that’s all you can ask for, whether we win or lose. That’s pretty much always been a given, even in the shittiest times. This team wants for nothing and some of them are stealing a living. And it’s not the odd game - this has been going on too many times last year and this year. That’s not the Devils way. You may accept it but I don’t.
Absolutely spot on, and what a load of horse manure coming out of our coaches mouth tonight, oh my god, we are too emotional after last night, the team just couldn’t get going, Panthers were too desperate for us, we couldn’t get going.we didn’t respond, we didnt have our legs, those nights happen. They happen because we are a very poor TEAM, and who are very poorly coached, not once did he take responsibility for that mugging, it’s everyone else’s fault. Good job he ain’t made of wood his nose would be 7 foot by now.

august04 2.0

Absolutely spot on, and what a load of horse manure coming out of our coaches mouth tonight, oh my god, we are too emotional after last night, the team just couldn’t get going, Panthers were too desperate for us, we couldn’t get going.we didn’t respond, we didnt have our legs, those nights happen. They happen because we are a very poor TEAM, and who are very poorly coached, not once did he take responsibility for that mugging, it’s everyone else’s fault. Good job he ain’t made of wood his nose would be 7 foot by now.
And the one player that did care last year and demanded effort and excellence (and let’s be honest, won us the play offs), we got rid of! Says it all I’m afraid.

kingmo19.1

That was quite a strange post match interview with DuPont. He didn’t seem overly peeved that we not only lost but got soundly beaten and played shite! No wonder some players are on easy street!

lloyd_jeff

I say I dont care because I expect a backlash.

But honestly this forum makes me mad at times.

People loved the fact Louis batch bowns etc were signing back

And 2 months in to the season they all want the team gone including our coach.
Nobody is really calling on Dupont to go, to be honest l kinda feel sorry for him, he’s been given the role, an opportunity, which was frankly too much, too soon.

Swarley

Only way we are going to put out any sort of offence for me has to start with our power play its humiliating watching us pass for nearly 2 minutes before a fumbled puck goes wide of a goal post.

if we can get our power play working and more effective I think things will fall into place.

all this skill and talent in the team and its just not happening when it's game time, they can post flashy videos of training and showing off skills but where is it when it matters most?

Crunch time is coming up and I'm starting to get a little nervous

I am 100% behind Dupont as coach but he really needs to find his feet and put together a better game plan as we seem to get found out way too early against teams, and once that happens we have nothing to stop it.

Diablo3

This is some thread... I don't agree with whole sale releasing of players, but we do have issues, but it isn't emotional, you should have seen what Crawfords goal meant to him last night, and the teams reaction when we won. It isn't the Panthers are wounded or hurting, everyone is beating them this year, so nothing new there. It isn't the netminding. Kozun and Bowns are good enough to backstop a good defence even if Carruth was better.

For me the lines just don't work and our PP is woeful, where it always used to be best in the league.The PK is better but still not where it was.

Please bring back the CCS line so at least one is working while you work out what to do with the rest of the forwards.

We seem to have forgotten how to hit (apart from Brandt. Hope he is ok after stopping that puck tonight). We have a few big bodies in the team but sadly they are not used when our defence is under pressure.

I do hope it gets better soon, or we will just have to accept a lower league position this year .

ASHIPP

After crap performances, Lord frequently took his team tactics back to the basics. The basics are absolutely what this team needs to start with and build from there.....keep successful line chemistry together, develop the aggressive forechecking game (a skill that defined former Devils' teams) and that poweplay...just practice,practice,practice tactics.

voth26

We are not trash. I personally think we don't give other teams credit for closing us down and stopping us playing our game.
This is my breakdown of how we're doing at the moment. We're not consistent in our play, we don't play for 60 mins, our power play is the worst I've ever seen from us, there's no pride or passion from the players even the likes of Joey Martin who we know loves the devils. We're one dimensional which is passing the puck to death, enter the opposition zone and play the puck around the boards but fail to keep control of the puck, to many no look passes. Last night we had at least 4 grade A chances and failed to convert one, yet when we drove the net we scored 2 goals to tie the game

Ffs Mr Kelman and owners sack the coach and get rid of the dead wood in our devils team now before it’s too late ,plenty of devil players just taking the cash and not wearing the devils jersey with honour and pride times have to change, the recruiting of players for this season has been crap and Mr DuPont should never have been given the title as head coach just because he won the playoffs, if you want to see sell out crowds at home games changes need to be made .

Devil94

This is some thread... I don't agree with whole sale releasing of players, but we do have issues, but it isn't emotional, you should have seen what Crawfords goal meant to him last night, and the teams reaction when we won. It isn't the Panthers are wounded or hurting, everyone is beating them this year, so nothing new there. It isn't the netminding. Kozun and Bowns are good enough to backstop a good defence even if Carruth was better.
Agree. It's clear that some small changes need to happen. But of course bringing in a whole range of new players or changing the coach is not it at this stage.

One common criticism is not scoring goals. While I agree our powerplay is not where it was with Skalde and Lord, and needs to be looked at quickly, we are only behind Guildford in goal scoring. We score more goals than Sheffield and Belfast on average per game.

As for defence and goal tending, we are 3rd in goals against, conceding only 2.5 goals a game, with 2 goalies playing above. 90%. Crawford is on +11 +/-, as well as the points he gets, so a defensive liability I'm not so sure.

So they're not the makings of the worst Devils team ever. There needs to be some tinkering sure, probably one new addition. I think a big thing they need is some time off to rest, which looking at schedule they're not gonna get. The start of this season still feels similar to me to a lot of season in recent times, I get deja vu every year on the Inferno. Some of those seasons we finished strong and won the league. Some like last year, in the league anyway, we tailed off. No need to hit the panic button, most of these guys have been here before and we must trust them to turn it around.

Pondlife

Out of curiosity I had a look at the thread after we got pumped 8:0 by panthers about this time of year in 16/17 which turned out an okay season in the end. The usernames have changed but the sentiment after a loss hasn’t.

TK and Franny know what’s needed same as each year. Hopefully (now we’ve qualified for CC QF) they’ll find the Nov/Dec signing to turn it around like Cougler last year, Morissonn, Strachan etc.

Keep the faith guys.

We've lost too much quality through the COVID period and beyond that simply has not been replaced effectively and it shows.

What little quality we did bring in, we haven't retained for whatever reason.

Slartibartfast

Agree. It's clear that some small changes need to happen. But of course bringing in a whole range of new players or changing the coach is not it at this stage.

One common criticism is not scoring goals. While I agree our powerplay is not where it was with Skalde and Lord, and needs to be looked at quickly, we are only behind Guildford in goal scoring. We score more goals than Sheffield and Belfast on average per game.

As for defence and goal tending, we are 3rd in goals against, conceding only 2.5 goals a game, with 2 goalies playing above. 90%. Crawford is on +11 +/-, as well as the points he gets, so a defensive liability I'm not so sure.

So they're not the makings of the worst Devils team ever. There needs to be some tinkering sure, probably one new addition. I think a big thing they need is some time off to rest, which looking at schedule they're not gonna get. The start of this season still feels similar to me to a lot of season in recent times, I get deja vu every year on the Inferno. Some of those seasons we finished strong and won the league. Some like last year, in the league anyway, we tailed off. No need to hit the panic button, most of these guys have been here before and we must trust them to turn it around.
I also looked at that stats and its doesn't reflect what we are describing on this forum but that is partly due to some quite high scoring games. However we have lost 10 out of 25 games across all competitions (including pre-season) which is pretty mediocre. Also what we are seeing on the ice is sometimes very poor and anyone who has been watching hockey a while can see that there is something wrong.. There have been games where we have looked great but when we come across any opposition that puts pressure on with a good forecheck it all falls apart. Passes not to the tape, passes to opponents skates, passes in front of our own net, blind passes, failing to clear the zone, fanning on the puck. All of these mistakes happen in hockey. Its part of the game but I have never seen so many and the frequency of them is increasing which is really worrying.

Earnie

Did I not read elsewhere on Inferno that someone said that Matt Myers stated that if you loose more than 12 games in the League you will not win it.

It’s not December yet!!!

ASHIPP

Did I not read elsewhere on Inferno that someone said that Matt Myers stated that if you loose more than 12 games in the League you will not win it.

It’s not December yet!!!
Aah Matthew. How we miss his grit, his face off excellence, his presence around the net. Oh wait....didnt he score a goal against us last night? The Panthers' captain, leading from the front.