Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2023/24

lloyd_jeff

I don't know if he is the best he is for the wages agreed (assuming he's signed). I am not privvy to that information and nor should I be.

My initial issue with your post was that you said he's massively upgradable.... I said that everyone is, but it depends on money. So give me an example of a player that he can be upgraded for...?

If he doesn't produce then there are any numbers of factors to look at:
- are the Devils winning?
- how many games has he played?
- how many turnovers has he forced?
- how many goals against him when he's on the ice?

Obviously, if he's not playing up to his value, as perceived by PR, then he gets released - like Hermann last season.
We’ve not got the best record in releasing underperforming players, will that change under PR, who knows. Who would l upgrade him for, I’m not going to troll my way through the thousands of possibilities, it’s a waste of time & like you’ve stated, everyone is upgradable. Let’s wait and see what signings remain, their performances in the season and then debate the logic afterwards. Until then opinions are simply that.

BostonBart22

How do you know if he's upgradable if you have no idea if he's affordable or not?

The risk is based on his lack of point production last season...
I would definitely take that risk on Chad, let's not forget he played a lot of games on D , and when he did play forward didn't get much ice time under dupes as he played his buddies that were under performing, think Chad will step up with what PR may have planned for him ..just saying.

Rempel16

We’ve not got the best record in releasing underperforming players, will that change under PR, who knows. Who would l upgrade him for, I’m not going to troll my way through the thousands of possibilities, it’s a waste of time & like you’ve stated, everyone is upgradable. Let’s wait and see what signings remain, their performances in the season and then debate the logic afterwards. Until then opinions are simply that.
No, I agree that releasing underperforming players has not been the best.... However, under Lord it wasn't needed, he was able to get players going. I think PR is going to be much more akin to Lord than Dupont / Skalde.

And yes about opinion's also, I'm not invalidating yours.

I just feel that if Pietroniro is going to be the spare then it makes sense. The organisation knows his attitude/commitment, not to mention his versatility. He was willing to do what it took to help his team. If there's some upside in terms of contributing on the scoreboard then all the better.

lloyd_jeff

No, I agree that releasing underperforming players has not been the best.... However, under Lord it wasn't needed, he was able to get players going. I think PR is going to be much more akin to Lord than Dupont / Skalde.

And yes about opinion's also, I'm not invalidating yours.

I just feel that if Pietroniro is going to be the spare then it makes sense. The organisation knows his attitude/commitment, not to mention his versatility. He was willing to do what it took to help his team. If there's some upside in terms of contributing on the scoreboard then all the better.
Lord is the past & there’s the argument concerning budget levels, what scope PR has, budget etc is between himself & Todd and until we have a situation, who knows if any changes will be needed and made or not. Pietroniro makes sense if your looking at a certain position at the end of the season.

This is not criticising Pietroniro or anyone’s opinions but what is it about this player that people who want him back so badly over checking out the market and bringing in player deemed better by the staff?
Personally I saw nothing special, he was a steady player who could play d or f (mosey if rumours true) is all that was brought in as cover mid season. So why double up on swing players?

Finny

Lord is the past & there’s the argument concerning budget levels, what scope PR has, budget etc is between himself & Todd and until we have a situation, who knows if any changes will be needed and made or not. Pietroniro makes sense if your looking at a certain position at the end of the season.
Actually no. Pietrenero makes sense at the start of the season when you want someone who can play D or F as you don’t know who is going to need a rest or be injured first.

Finny

This is not criticising Pietroniro or anyone’s opinions but what is it about this player that people who want him back so badly over checking out the market and bringing in player deemed better by the staff?
Personally I saw nothing special, he was a steady player who could play d or f (mosey if rumours true) is all that was brought in as cover mid season. So why double up on swing players?
From the limited games I saw him in he was
-solid in defence
-physical in attack.

My guess is he would be relatively cheap. So if you want someone who isn’t too expensive, can play a range of roles and you’ve seen first hand that he can do that role then it makes sense to stick with him rather than gamble on an unknown.

Wannabe2

From the limited games I saw him in he was
-solid in defence
-physical in attack.

My guess is he would be relatively cheap. So if you want someone who isn’t too expensive, can play a range of roles and you’ve seen first hand that he can do that role then it makes sense to stick with him rather than gamble on an unknown.
With you Finny, with more ice time, a proper coach, and not such a lousy team I think he will come good.

Diablo3

So only 2 d to go, I'm going to delve into my crystal ball and say we won't get Jards back as he will stay in the US to concentrate on music. So for me the last two D will be Crawford and Mosey. Then as a bonus we get Pietroniro back as a spare to keep everyone honest.

jenks33

So only 2 d to go, I'm going to delve into my crystal ball and say we won't get Jards back as he will stay in the US to concentrate on music. So for me the last two D will be Crawford and Mosey. Then as a bonus we get Pietroniro back as a spare to keep everyone honest.
I think you're right. I'm expecting those 3 to be the final announcements.

Rempel16

I still don't see how we can sign both Crawford and Mosey. Having the 2 of them doesn't fit with the balance of the d-men.

We already have Richie and Donaghey as right sided D. Crawford and Mosey are both right-sided. That would give us 4 right-sided and 2 left-sided.

So unless Donaghey is going to be playing left-sided (as a right hand shot, which is never ideal) then we still have a left-sided d-man to sign...

I'm thinking it's going to be Jardine. I'm purely basing that on Brian Parker's comment yesterday about players on multi-year contracts (he didn't name them all, suggesting there's still 1 left that hasn't been announced).

jenks33

I still don't see how we can sign both Crawford and Mosey. Having the 2 of them doesn't fit with the balance of the d-men.

We already have Richie and Donaghey as right sided D. Crawford and Mosey are both right-sided. That would give us 4 right-sided and 2 left-sided.

So unless Donaghey is going to be playing left-sided (as a right hand shot, which is never ideal) then we still have a left-sided d-man to sign...

I'm thinking it's going to be Jardine. I'm purely basing that on Brian Parker's comment yesterday about players on multi-year contracts (he didn't name them all, suggesting there's still 1 left that hasn't been announced).
I agree with you with the right sided,left sided/unbalanced D comments but if Mosey and Pietroniro both sign (which it looks like they have) i just can't work out what the plan is. With Crandall signing surely Chad will be the spare import so i assume Mosey is on D? There's possibly one player that we all assume has re-signed that hasn't actually re-signed.

moggy#9

At this point I see berry little point in holding back the remaining signings news, unless the players aren't available for the videos, or they plan to have them there in person at the season ticket holders night. Unless all of the speculation has been wrong, it seems that the remaining players will already be known to us.

jenks33

At this point I see berry little point in holding back the remaining signings news, unless the players aren't available for the videos, or they plan to have them there in person at the season ticket holders night. Unless all of the speculation has been wrong, it seems that the remaining players will already be known to us.
If it is just Mosey, Chad and Crawford to announce then i wonder what else they've got planned next Thursday for this "Night you don't want to miss". Hopefully there is a pleasant surprise in store because if they're getting fans to travel down to the rink on a Thursday evening then the club should make sure its worth it.

Wannabe2

If it is just Mosey, Chad and Crawford to announce then i wonder what else they've got planned next Thursday for this "Night you don't want to miss". Hopefully there is a pleasant surprise in store because if they're getting fans to travel down to the rink on a Thursday evening then the club should make sure its worth it.
Totally agree, to say you don’t want to miss this and then piss people off with a damp squib will go down like a lead balloon. Travelling on a Thursday evening to the rink has to be something pretty special, so we live in hope.

moggy#9

I'm sure they'll want to start things with a bang, now if it's not players, then what? Maybe as part of the arena branding stuff the whole into experience what been jazzed up. If certainly love to see the sort of projection thing that they do at Vegas.

BostonBart22

Since the start of the summer mosey was rumours of signing , a very long time until 3rd August to announce it, I think the club or mosey has done a u..turn and got a gem lined up instead......, just saying

im starting to wonder if mosey has signed as rumored because why would you sign pietroniero aswell who are both the same kind of players.i think we also need to sign 2 proper d men as if we were to sign mosey i'd rather him as a forward with the option of him dropping back to defence in emergencies.