steelers Vs Devils - CC Semi - 23rd Feb 22

Mazzoak

Maybe a decline in Steelers' 'performance' but they are still winning league games, and still have games in hand so they must have been doing something right over the last few months.

Agree about the Fox interview. Understandable he would be angry and disappointed with team performance and result...but a classy person would acknowledge that the opposition played well.
They would’ve known the timing of the Final, any other team I’d say would have thrown everything into last night and take what comes later. With Sheffield though, the dramatic coach makes me think the league is hugely important to them, much more than the CC and didn’t want to risk it. This isn’t a criticism of Cardiff & l take nothing from our performance more the fact Steelers organisation are a classless bunch of morons who’d throw a game if needed.
I guess the critic of Skaldes lack of passion are feeling a bit dumb today, come on, did we need to have a camera in the room, no, but watching Skalde & the team reaction to the “shit hole“ was classic changing room coaching. Just a pity fans believe passion isn’t there because their not talented enough to get in the room.

Devil94

I don't know of any other club cup competition (I may be wrong) that is hosted by the top seeded team. This is why eihl looks so backward in their planning.
Well, basically any hockey league that has a proper play off season. The top seeded or highest finisher in regular season gets the home advantage. Slightly different to us being a one off game but the idea is the same, it's not uncommon.

I agree that the group stage needs to change. I wouldn't really be against scrapping the whole thing to be honest. I think the league makes a lot of bad decisions, but in my opinion it's harsh to blame this on them.

The only people this is bad for is Cardiff fans. Belfast players, coaches and fans will be happy with it, and I think Cardiff players and coaches will be too. No playing the day before, enough time to travel and prepare. I would much rather this than playing somewhere on Saturday night, then the players fly over on game day and straight on the ice for the final.

Last edited:

kingmo19.1

They would’ve known the timing of the Final, any other team I’d say would have thrown everything into last night and take what comes later. With Sheffield though, the dramatic coach makes me think the league is hugely important to them, much more than the CC and didn’t want to risk it. This isn’t a criticism of Cardiff & l take nothing from our performance more the fact Steelers organisation are a classless bunch of morons who’d throw a game if needed.
I guess the critic of Skaldes lack of passion are feeling a bit dumb today, come on, did we need to have a camera in the room, no, but watching Skalde & the team reaction to the “shit hole“ was classic changing room coaching. Just a pity fans believe passion isn’t there because their not talented enough to get in the room.
Are you talented enough to get in the room ??!! :)

august04 2.0

Well, basically any hockey league that has a proper play off season. The top seeded or highest finisher in regular season gets the home advantage. Slightly different to us being a one off game but the idea is the same, it's not uncommon.

I agree that the group stage needs to change. I wouldn't really be against scrapping the whole thing to be honest. I think the league makes a lot of bad decisions, but in my opinion it's harsh to blame this on them.

The only people this is bad for is Cardiff fans. Belfast players, coaches and fans will be happy with it, and I think Cardiff players and coaches will be too. No playing the day before, enough time to travel and prepare. I would much rather this than playing somewhere on Saturday night, then the players fly over on game day and straight on the ice for the final.
We're debating the top seed hosting a one-off final, not having an advantage in a multi game play off series. It’s a completely different scenario.

Devil94

We're debating the top seed hosting a one-off final, not having an advantage in a multi game play off series. It’s a completely different scenario.
Hi August. Yes I made that point in my post. I was just notifing a poster examples of a higher seeded team getting home advantage. But thank you for your comment.

I think some are forgetting the limitations this league is running under. Everyone would love the final to be a Saturday night at a neutral venue, 10,000 in the crowd and live on BT Sports. Just as everyone would love a proper play off series. But obviously they're not possible, for a variety of reasons. This was agreed to be the best option so that's that.
Another thing to remember is that we have a seat at the league table. This wouldn't happen if Todd wasn't OK with it.

Hedd Wyn John

Maybe a decline in Steelers' 'performance' but they are still winning league games, and still have games in hand so they must have been doing something right over the last few months.

Agree about the Fox interview. Understandable he would be angry and disappointed with team performance and result...but a classy person would acknowledge that the opposition played well.
Way I see it the Devils were just super clinical. Steelers gave away a few sloppy chances and whereas you'd expect a team to get away with it most of the time on this occasion the Devils found a way to slot them all home. Couple that with a really strong D performance the Steelers just couldn't find a way through which is unusual for them season. I still think Steelers will win the league.

My only concern is in our CC final vs Belfast a few years back we put in an immense performance in the semi vs Steelers so good in fact it was kinda like "our final" and when we faced Belfast in the final we were just not at that level.

Mazzoak

Way I see it the Devils were just super clinical. Steelers gave away a few sloppy chances and whereas you'd expect a team to get away with it most of the time on this occasion the Devils found a way to slot them all home. Couple that with a really strong D performance the Steelers just couldn't find a way through which is unusual for them season. I still think Steelers will win the league.

My only concern is in our CC final vs Belfast a few years back we put in an immense performance in the semi vs Steelers so good in fact it was kinda like "our final" and when we faced Belfast in the final we were just not at that level.
Spot on. They judged the level of opposition and adjusted the game plan accordingly, sometimes the reward is not worthy of the effort.

As it’s the CC final the ticket allocation should be 50/50 between the two finalists as in previous years when Cardiff hosted the final.
I believe that because of the obvious disadvantage to the Devils fans in attending on a Wednesday night, that Belfast should not be able to sell ANY of the tickets in ANY of the blocks allocated to the Devils fans that are unsold.
In my opinion Belfast should not be allowed to fill the arena with their fans because it is logistically impossible for Devils fans to travel!
That would be entirely unfair but if it does happen I’m sure coach Skalde and the team can use it as extra motivation.
In fact I’d be prepared to buy a ticket just to deny Belfast the opportunity to sell it to a Giants‘ supporter even though I know I can’t attend.

jenks33

On the other hand Belfast have got a double header against Sheffield the weekend before the final. It will be difficult for them to have 3 huge games in 5 days. Let’s hope that weekend vs Sheffield takes it out of them

I’ve been looking at flights for Belfast and the cheapest is £143 return from Bristol….
looks like I’ll be saving my money.

Cheapest I can see from London is £42

Wannabe2

This was with Eastern Airways who took over from Flybe, they use 25 seater planes, you can feel everything but they do fly to Belfast City airport ( George best ) airport, as opposed to Belfast International from Bristol which is a long way out.

BostonBart22

As it’s the CC final the ticket allocation should be 50/50 between the two finalists as in previous years when Cardiff hosted the final.
I believe that because of the obvious disadvantage to the Devils fans in attending on a Wednesday night, that Belfast should not be able to sell ANY of the tickets in ANY of the blocks allocated to the Devils fans that are unsold.
In my opinion Belfast should not be allowed to fill the arena with their fans because it is logistically impossible for Devils fans to travel!
That would be entirely unfair but if it does happen I’m sure coach Skalde and the team can use it as extra motivation.
In fact I’d be prepared to buy a ticket just to deny Belfast the opportunity to sell it to a Giants‘ supporter even though I know I can’t attend.
We managed to beat steelers with few hundred fans , if we play like the semi my champagne will be on ice after 2 periods...

Diafol

Will they do cardboard cut outs with our faces on them like in the Elite Series ?
Asking for a friend...

Will they do cardboard cut outs with our faces on them like in the Elite Series ?
Asking for a friend...
They did cardboard cut outs on Wednesday night. You must’ve seen them, they were the Steelers defensemen.
Although under normal circumstances it is very difficult to differentiate which is the real Davey Phillips!

And don’t get me started on their inflatable goalie!