steelers Vs Devils - League - 23rd Dec 23 - FO 19:00

Wannabe2

Actually if that happened we wouldn’t actually be here,there would be no club, no inferno, and no us. But it’s about moving on now, and hoping for a good future. We still have the best owners in the league thank god, we just need a team now to be parallel with them.

Wannabe2

Steelers are now averaging nearly 4 goals per game and conceeding less than 2 per game, we are averaging just over 3 goals per game and conceeding 2.35 per game.

Swarley

I think PR should get at least 2 full seasons to fine tune the roster, a revolving door of managers is pointless.
I can agree to that if he stops trying to play DEL2 hockey in a UK league, it's absolutely pointless because this league isn't a gentle touch league and hopefully it never will be, we need players that get stuck in every shift and won't back down and be bullied all over the ice.

Wannabe2

The thing is the British fans don’t want to watch pussy hockey, it’s not in our nature, it’s not our fault we like a bit of rough and tumble. Our home Nations in rugby ain’t no pussies it’s not what this country is about, that’s why this nation will kick arse with anyone. No one is talking about having the goon team, but let’s have a bit of our natural backbone instinct, the Irish, the Scottish, the English, and us Welshies ain’t into euro pussyfooting, we want fast, skilful, physical hockey, we want edge of seat, heartbeating, entertainment.

The thing is the British fans don’t want to watch pussy hockey, it’s not in our nature, it’s not our fault we like a bit of rough and tumble. Our home Nations in rugby ain’t no pussies it’s not what this country is about, that’s why this nation will kick arse with anyone. No one is talking about having the goon team, but let’s have a bit of our natural backbone instinct, the Irish, the Scottish, the English, and us Welshies ain’t into euro pussyfooting, we want fast, skilful, physical hockey, we want edge of seat, heartbeating, entertainment.
I might not have put it quite like that, but the general sentiment would be the same.

Its still debatable whether you can deliver a younger, smaller, faster and more skills based type of hockey on the kinds of budgets and limited prestige enjoyed by the UK leagues.... while keeping an already small and niche fanbase entertained.

BostonBart22

I’m not sure if it’s a recruitment issue and/or a coaching issue, but since Lordo left we’ve had 3 different coaches and none of them have in my opinion have made us look like real league contenders.

For the past 3 seasons we’ve been nothing other than a streaky team with little or no backbone and team toughness.

I like PR, but what worked in the DEL2 might not necessarily work so well here. A quality coach will identify where we are coming short and hopefully address it going forward. Fixing a PP should be pretty basic for a decent coach to figure out!

TBH, I think 3/4 changes are needed ASAP to turn things around and try to mount a challenge. Leave it any longer and Shefffield will likely be out of sight.

if I was a betting man, with this roster and current tactics, I can’t see us finishing higher than 3rd this season.

Does the club and the coach have the ambition to make any further changes or are we quite happy with finishing 3rd these days ???
Why would they make changes , its pretty much sold out every game and that's for a pretty avg team who in my mind will finish 3rd/4th they only got eyes on conti cup now as its the only chance of silverware, and that's not gonna be easy by a long shot., merry Xmas all .

moggy#9

Why would they make changes , its pretty much sold out every game and that's for a pretty avg team who in my mind will finish 3rd/4th they only got eyes on conti cup now as its the only chance of silverware, and that's not gonna be easy by a long shot., merry Xmas all .
Watch out. With comments like that the happy clappers will be coming for you. ;-)

Devil94

Tell us you've never watched European hockey without telling us you've never watched European hockey.

I have commented similar posts to this a few times over the years, seems like it's that time again. I think many people would be very surprised if they went to a German league game, or a Swedish league game. Not only is the skill level off the chart, but you will see more hits and physicality than an average EiHL game. Not fights, but fighting is dying out anyway. But the idea that it's non contact is nonsense.

I have watched lots of European hockey over the years, admittedly didn't watch any of PR's games when he was involved but for his Ravensburg side to win the Championship last year they would have had to have been super aggressive and physical, especially in the play off runs they have there.

osh

Made the mistake of going to the game in Sheffield and it only confirmed my thoughts from when the roster was announced. No physicality, poor recruitment ( nowhere near the quality we have had in previous years ) thought PR might bring about change, but I suppose he can only do so much with the squad he was given. I’m sure our owners realise mistakes have been made but as long as home games sell out maybe they don’t see it as a problem, but the fans do for sure. The standard of play in the whole of the EIHL has gone down considerably in my opinion, that’s why we may end up in 3rd or 4th position at the end of season and others may see it as a fairly decent season !

Hedd Wyn John

Made the mistake of going to the game in Sheffield and it only confirmed my thoughts from when the roster was announced. No physicality, poor recruitment ( nowhere near the quality we have had in previous years ) thought PR might bring about change, but I suppose he can only do so much with the squad he was given. I’m sure our owners realise mistakes have been made but as long as home games sell out maybe they don’t see it as a problem, but the fans do for sure. The standard of play in the whole of the EIHL has gone down considerably in my opinion, that’s why we may end up in 3rd or 4th position at the end of season and others may see it as a fairly decent season !
I don't think we fixed the weaknesses from last season. The team relied on too many smaller forwards who often got outmuscled and forced out to the boards. This was a concern I had during the pre-season and it seems to be playing out that way. I can't see a fix to this now, so it'll need to be a top priority for next season. As for our D, well on paper things look like we've improved a bit- we are shipping fewer goals per game than last season - but compared to Sheffield there's quite a gulf. Their defense is pretty rock solid, they simply don't concede many goals.

ASHIPP

Our team is somehow still 2nd. Think this has been helped by Giants' very poor start in the League, and the terrible circumstances with the Panthers which drained their confidence and passion. Now it's the business end of the season and things could change dramatically.

Our Team can fix one or two of their weaknesses with practice, execution and good planning. Just go back to basics, keeping it tight and effective. There are talented players in our squad.....they just need to be utilised in the right way.

Last edited:

Hedd Wyn John

Our team is somehow still 2nd. Think this has been helped by Giants' very poor start in the League, and the terrible circumstances with the Panthers which drained their confidence and passion. Now it's the business end of the season and things could change dramatically.

Our Team can fix one or two if their weaknesses with practice, execution and good planning. Just go back to basics, keeping it tight and effective. There are talented players in our squad.....they just need to be utilised in the right way.
I'm pretty sure Keefe will patch up the Giants issues and it'll be a race between us and them for 2nd place.

E.D.S.

Being back at the Vindico tonight made me realise how grateful I am for Todd on game nights. The Dave Simms show is just relentless in Sheffield. Every break in play he's on the mic saying some cringeworthy nonsense. I'm sure he's convinced himself that everyone has bought a ticket to listen to him.