This team

Leaving at the end of the last game of the season, I always think, I'm going to miss these players, as you become invested in them throughout the year, but even then, you know that changes will be made. While I would like some of this team back, I didn't have that feeling as I left tonight. In fact, I would welcome the chance to see a lot of new faces both on and off the ice when I next take my seat. Play offs next though, will they surprise us? You just never know with this team.

hip check

Leaving at the end of the last game of the season, I always think, I'm going to miss these players, as you become invested in them throughout the year, but even then, you know that changes will be made. While I would like some of this team back, I didn't have that feeling as I left tonight. In fact, I would welcome the chance to see a lot of new faces both on and off the ice when I next take my seat. Play offs next though, will they surprise us? You just never know with this team.
Have to agree with your sentiments unfortunately.

ASHIPP

I don't think he's going to be back.
Who so you mean? Dupont or Horn?

Was watching the power break in p2 yesterday.....a brilliant opportunity for 1 minute rest at the bench for the coaches to talk tactics to the players. Especially as they were obviously frustrated trying to get past Rajna, and Blaze had not long scored.

When the coaches did talk to the players, the body language of the players suggested they weren't listening to what was being said. Lord would use opportunities like that to discuss aspects of the opposition, so seriously he took every game. His players would be fully engaged in his discussion, listening intently and ready to try out a different tactic.

Last edited:
Who so you mean? Dupont or Horn?

Was watching the power break in p2 yesterday.....a brilliant opportunity for 1 minute rest at the bench for the coaches to talk tactics to the players. Especially as they were obviously frustrated trying to get past Rajna, and Blaze had not long scored.

When the coaches did talk to the players, the body language of the players suggested they weren't listening to what was being said. Lord would use opportunities like that to discuss aspects of the opposition, so seriously he took every game. His players would be fully engaged in his discussion, listening intently and ready to try out a different tactic.
Problem is how can you have someone like horn who no disrespect is a failed player tell the likes of Joey Martin how or what to do. He come in and for me we have seen no improvement, PP is/has gotten worse

Problem is how can you have someone like horn who no disrespect is a failed player tell the likes of Joey Martin how or what to do. He come in and for me we have seen no improvement, PP is/has gotten worse
Don’t buy the failed player theory. If the players don’t want to listen to Horn because he never played the game that’s poor from the players.

Look at the NHL, best coach in the league Jon Cooper & Best coach ever Scotty Bowman never played at any level. Bednar played in the coast. Babcock played for Whitley Warriors. Others like; Trotz, Keenan, Maurice, Torts none of them played at a high level but went on to be great coaches.

TL91

Don’t buy the failed player theory. If the players don’t want to listen to Horn because he never played the game that’s poor from the players.

Look at the NHL, best coach in the league Jon Cooper & Best coach ever Scotty Bowman never played at any level. Bednar played in the coast. Babcock played for Whitley Warriors. Others like; Trotz, Keenan, Maurice, Torts none of them played at a high level but went on to be great coaches.
Completely agree…across many sports, a high number of top players certainly don’t make it as top coaches. No guarantees whatsoever.

kettdevil1

5 years in the ECHL…. I wish I had failed as a hockey player in that way.
As others have pointed out, playing career is not a good indicator of success as a coach.

But given his age, lack of coaching, lack of playing even in this league what can he offer our players in terms of coaching, He has not really learnt the trade. Player's do/will question someone.

Yes others have done well however it never seems to work in our league. I get everyone's point but i don't think he has the respect of the players, i hope i am wrong but what i think. To this day i am gobsmacked we appointed not just a rookie coach but rookie number 2.

But given his age, lack of coaching, lack of playing even in this league what can he offer our players in terms of coaching, He has not really learnt the trade. Player's do/will question someone.

Yes others have done well however it never seems to work in our league. I get everyone's point but i don't think he has the respect of the players, i hope i am wrong but what i think. To this day i am gobsmacked we appointed not just a rookie coach but rookie number 2.
Even though he’s young he might be still student of the game and keen to learn. Start off in a lower league like the EIHL and work your way up.

However I agree with your comments about the 2 rookie coaches. It’s hard for Horn to learn from Dupoint, when Dupoint learning the ropes himself. Seems like such a strange combo and it’s no wonder the players aren’t really responding to the lack of leadership.

TL91

Even though he’s young he might be still student of the game and keen to learn. Start off in a lower league like the EIHL and work your way up.

However I agree with your comments about the 2 rookie coaches. It’s hard for Horn to learn from Dupoint, when Dupoint learning the ropes himself. Seems like such a strange combo and it’s no wonder the players aren’t really responding to the lack of leadership.
I wouldn’t say it’s a strange combo…I think by taking on two younger, inexperienced guys, whilst risky, if it works it can prove extremely rewarding and may mean they stay around longer due to being given a chance. Talking in general - not saying it’s going well or not; just that I can see the reasoning.

Ocko

I’m gobsmacked you think any coach with any sort of pedigree would come to the EIHL as a number 2. The only assistant coaches with any sort of playing pedigree are Belfast who happen to live locally. Most are local British coaches or player-assistant coaches. Bringing in a new assistant coach from overseas is actually quite ahead of where most, if not all, teams are.

I don’t think a player respects someone’s coaching ability based on their playing pedigree. Most NHL head coaches are minor league guys, coming from limited NHL backgrounds; by that logic does that mean that NHL stars don’t respect them?

Whether the individual is the right one or not is another matter. However, just like DuPont the only people who really know how good his coaching is are the ones directly involved with the team. 99% of people on here don’t know the basics of a breakout and just go off results. Who knows what has gone on behind closed doors or difficulties the team have had or resource difference between us and other teams.

Swarley

I think by taking on two younger, inexperienced guys, whilst risky, if it works it can prove extremely rewarding and may mean they stay around longer due to being given a chance.
It took the pair of them 53 games to realise the power play they've used all season long didn't work..

I'm all for giving a new rookie coach a chance but there has to be a line drawn and for me it's the fact it took 53 games for him to admit he and Horn got it wrong.

Any reason why you wouldn't want Russell?
I wouldn’t be that fussed on Russell either. He’s done well with GB but he has had Keefe & Corey Neilson as assistants. When he’s been in the EIHL, I’ve found his teams pretty forgettable tbh.

I know Pete’s available now but after what they said with Skalde appointment and the Devils being overwhelmed but quality CV. I think they’ll be better options out there. I know they’re under contract but I’d probably take Stewart or Paul Dixon well before Russell.

Rempel16

I wouldn’t be that fussed on Russell either. He’s done well with GB but he has had Keefe & Corey Neilson as assistants. When he’s been in the EIHL, I’ve found his teams pretty forgettable tbh.

I know Pete’s available now but after what they said with Skalde appointment and the Devils being overwhelmed but quality CV. I think they’ll be better options out there. I know they’re under contract but I’d probably take Stewart or Paul Dixon well before Russell.
Cheers. I'm not sure myself, but he's just taken Ravensburg into the promotion series in the 2nd tier in Germany (although IIRC they can't get promoted because their rink doesn't meet the eligibility requirements for the DEL).

He hasn't had Keefe or Neilson to help him there. I'd say that's pretty decent, particularly with how cut throat the German leagues can be.