Transfer deadline

kingmo19.1

Very very frustrating that we’ve been so inactive whilst our rivals seem to be recruiting and recruiting well !

Fournier was a decent enough pick up, but it was a waste of time picking up a kid like Hermann when it was plainly obvious we needed a D man above anything else - and I’m sure there must have been one available.

tim78

Thread starter #22
I think the club are probably doing a great job in balancing the books these days and ensure the continuity of the club which is defo a preference from me.

There's probably been a big cost increase this season with the energy costs, though we must have something available to have gotten Fournier in when we did.

Wannabe2

Returning from injury is one thing, being match fit and at peak performance is another. Remains to be seen how effective Coughler and Jardine will be, if they return, and for how long.

Baffles me how Giants and Steelers can be so proactive about changing up their rosters at the slightest sign of players underperformed, or players injured. They are serious about pushing to win something this season.

This is another year where our Club seems to limp on and struggle at the most important part of the season, living in the hope that our injured players will finally recover.
Our Club claims to be competitive, they come within sniffing distance of the finishing line...only to fall at the last hurdle because the team is fatigued or shortbenched or not good enough.

The implication is that some help is going to be found but what does that mean. The youngsters from the Pitbulls? A new import?
Why does it baffle you that we can’t be as proactive as Steelers and Giants, we ain’t got the dosh these other two have, we punch above our weight with these other two. If these other shower had a capacity of 3000, they wouldn’t be throwing money around like there’s no tomorrow, as for claiming to be competitive don’t you think we have been, we like others don’t have a god given right to win win win. Steelers, Giants, Panthers, and Flames have more financial clout than us. However we do have the savings of Fournier, so we are either going to announce a signing by Wednesday, or going with what we have.

lloyd_jeff

Coughler and Jardine getting back in the line up is one thing, keeping them there is another. Who knows how their bodies will react to the intensity of collisions in real game situations? They could just as easily be back to square one, which is why it’s absolutely crucial that we make at least one signing before the deadline.
Two players with targets, sorry to say but in hockey sometimes it’s difficult to judge a well timed fair hit as that or intentionally trying to target a player, it’s not a sport that has many gentlemen with sporting etiquette.

ASHIPP

Why does it baffle you that we can’t be as proactive as Steelers and Giants, we ain’t got the dosh these other two have, we punch above our weight with these other two. If these other shower had a capacity of 3000, they wouldn’t be throwing money around like there’s no tomorrow, as for claiming to be competitive don’t you think we have been, we like others don’t have a god given right to win win win. Steelers, Giants, Panthers, and Flames have more financial clout than us. However we do have the savings of Fournier, so we are either going to announce a signing by Wednesday, or going with what we have.
Wannabe (or maybe you should be called Obi Wan), I admit I am not as worldy wise on ice hockey matters as you, so yes, I can be baffled as other fans seem to be too.

The Giants are replacing players they release. They released 5, and signed 5. It's possible they have spent a bit of 'extra dosh' to guarantee an incoming player. We are not party to those discussions so we don't know.

It's possible our Club may not have the same level of finance, but they will have SOME finance from the recent departure of 2 players who were signed to bolster our ranks but unfortunately turned out to be wasted for different reasons. And, of course, we can ask the question why some extra expenditure was used earlier in the season to bring in an inexperienced, rookie assistant coach.
Hopefully the Club can bring in some roster help.

As for competitiveness of our Team, I refer you back to some of your own angry, post game comments recently where you have very clearly not been happy with the Team's performance.

Last edited:

lloyd_jeff

I think the club are probably doing a great job in balancing the books these days and ensure the continuity of the club which is defo a preference from me.

There's probably been a big cost increase this season with the energy costs, though we must have something available to have gotten Fournier in when we did.
Of course they are, one only has to look at their income and expenditure to realise that. Typical average ticket price of £15 x 2,200 seats is £48,000 a game. Staff & players wages approx £18,000 a week, leaving £30,000 a home game for other expenses and profit. No idea how much merchandise & other income comes from ticket handling fees etc too but i‘d guess at least a £2,000 ish a game.
Energy drinks are expensive, just look at the Prime energy drink selling for £30 a bottle.

Wannabe2

Wannabe (or maybe you should be called Obi Wan), I admit I am not asworldy wise on ice hockey matters as you, so, yes, I can be baffled as many other fans seem to be too.

The Giants are replacing players they release. They released 5, and signed 5. They might have spent a bit of 'extra dosh' to guarantee an incoming player. We are not party to those discussions.

It's possible our Club may not have the same level of finance, but they will have SOME finance from the recent departure of 2 players who were signed to bolster our ranks but unfortunately turned out to be wasted for different reasons.
Hopefully the Club can bring in help of some kind.

As for competitiveness of our Team, I refer you back to some of your own angry, post game comments recently where you have very clearly not been happy with the Team's performance.
Spot on mate, I can sometimes sway like the wind, think it’s an age thing and apologise for that. We all at the end of the day want the same thing. Hopefully come seasons end we are all pretty happy.

moggy#9

Of course, the point of having a properly enforced wage cap would be to level the playing field. I doubt I'm alone in believing that certain clubs play somewhat fast and loose with that particular set of rules though.

lloyd_jeff

It’s an excellent excuse if anyone actually believes that they self regulate their own rules. My personal take is it’s convenient for all parties, Devils use it to justify their business model, others dont.

Swarley

What I’d do to have Matt Register back…guess you don’t realise what you have until it’s gone!
From my understanding he wanted more money and the club didn't want to cough up for his contract.

Wish we'd of paid him the money he wanted because for his faults of no look passing he never really put a foot wrong anywhere else and had a hell of a one timer on him.

Swarley

I never under estimate this organisation, we could still see someone come in, they've sprung stuff on us before without any knowledge.
I reckon they've blown the budget on bringing Hotham in for the night lol who needs new players when you can have Hotham get the boys fired up before the game?

Swarley

Devils latest social media post has got Coughler & Jardine in training - hopefully some light at the end of the tunnel!
Coughlers been training with the team for the last month and he's still not been cleared, I wouldn't read too much into it.

I'm sticking with no new signings and just riding out the remainder of the season with Jards and Coughler in the gantry.

Gavevs88

I‘d prefer both sat out and we’d bring in replacements, obviously we’ve not gone that route, so I’m reserving comment.
Money though then isn't it, you'd be paying 4 players and only getting two producing. When Fully fit Coughler and Jardine will be hard to replace anyway. Hopefully they come back tomorrow or Saturday as rumoured.

BostonBart22

Coughlers been training with the team for the last month and he's still not been cleared, I wouldn't read too much into it.

I'm sticking with no new signings and just riding out the remainder of the season with Jards and Coughler in the gantry.
If they are due back ASAP wouldn't risk them at clan, rather keep them fit for the flames games coming up