Transfer deadline

E.D.S.

We have many shortcomings on the ice this season, too many for one deadline day signing can fix.
However, cast your mind back 12 months and look at the impact Riley Brandt had, not just on the ice but his style of play and commitment really had a positive effect with the fans, (so much so that I bought a Riley Brandt jersey) a bit of a feel good factor if you like.

Now look at Pietroniro’s career stats and couple that with what DuPont believes he will bring to the table.
Maybe, the Club are hoping to replicate some of the "Brandt Factor" and give the fans something to cheer about that has been lacking in far too many games this season, some physicality, passion and hardwork!

After all hardwork always beats talent if talent doesn’t work hard!
Brandt is definitely a fan favourite and a favourite of mine. I think he's outstanding but.... does 'another Brandt' (if that's what he is), really help us out here or are you just saying it helps with fan morale?

moggy#9

Brandt is definitely a fan favourite and a favourite of mine. I think he's outstanding but.... does 'another Brandt' (if that's what he is), really help us out here or are you just saying it helps with fan morale?
I certainly think that recruiting a player with Brandt's mindset can only be a good thing. This guy seems to have a variety of different talents on top of physicality though. If he can be versatile with an edge, I think that could be very useful at this stage in the season.

jenks33

And let’s not forget as popular as Brandt was last season, and still is, it was the acquisition of Coughler that was the game changer.

Coughler was undoubtedly the game changer but consider this?
Who pound for pound do you think gives the Devils the best "return on capital" of any player during this timespan when you consider physicality, feel good factor, jersey sales etc. and all from a bottom 6 forward getting 6or 7 minutes ice time?
After all at this stage of the season with the resources we probably have at our disposal I’d be happy with another Brandt. Wouldn’t you?

Last edited:

moggy#9

Who pound for pound do you think gives the Devils the best "return on capital" of any player during this timespan when you consider physicality, feel good factor, jersey sales etc. and all from a bottom 6 forward getting 6or 7 minutes ice time?
After all at this stage of the season with the resources we probably have at our disposal I’d be happay with another Brandt. Wouldn’t you?
Absolutely. Players like Brandt are an absolute nightmare to play against. They'll skate hard every moment they're on the ice, meaning you have to do the same. If you drop your head you know he'll nail you.

Absolutely. Players like Brandt are an absolute nightmare to play against. They'll skate hard every moment they're on the ice, meaning you have to do the same. If you drop your head you know he'll nail you.
Absolutely.
And with this type of player doing these types of things comes defensive turnovers.
And the quickest way to lose a game is…….defensive turnovers!

After all, the Devils used to be pretty much guaranteed 2 or 3 turnover goals pretty much every time we played Sheffield, I think for a couple of seasons putting 7 goals on them was just "par for the course!"

terry hunt

We know that Louis is unfit.We dont know how fit Coughler is and is Jardine OK after eating a puck last week.
Being realistic i expect our pals at Flames,Giants,Steelers,Blaze etc will have go at at least one of our little nice guys.
He may be able switch positions during games so best of luck to him.

jenks33

After all at this stage of the season with the resources we probably have at our disposal I’d be happy with another Brandt. Wouldn’t you?
Yeah I’m happy enough with another Brandt type player (who looks like he will be more of a goal/points threat than Brandt) but I’m just slightly surprised. I thought we would look at a couple of other options before a utility player.
a) Top 6 power forward to replace Fournier/we could easily lose Coughler again.
b) Another Dman just in case we lose Jardine again.

The most important thing though is that we’ve strengthened + I’m assuming he will be a 3rd/4th liner but we haven’t seen him in action yet.

moggy#9

Yeah I’m happy enough with another Brandt type player (who looks like he will be more of a goal/points threat than Brandt) but I’m just slightly surprised. I thought we would look at a couple of other options before a utility player.
a) Top 6 power forward to replace Fournier/we could easily lose Coughler again.
b) Another Dman just in case we lose Jardine again.

The most important thing though is that we’ve strengthened + I’m assuming he will be a 3rd/4th liner but we haven’t seen him in action yet.
There thing is, our options may well have been limited - particularly since a lot of clubs will have been looking for last minute additions. If we're harder to play against and a bit more flexible, then I'm happy. Let's see what he brings on his debut though.

That was a bit of a tough watch tonight against very poor opposition but we got the result and right on cue Riley Brandt throws some checks, gets a goal and a MOM!