Vipers v Devils - 06/02 - 6:30pm - Chat/Updates

august04

Gazza272 said:
But any road While we are all dissapointed we are at present on course to have a better season than last season, so for me we have to Give G a further season to see if he can improve again, and if he were to get the sack i would never bring back a former coach, as they are former coaches for a reason in my opinion.
I can't bear the thought of another season of mediocrity if that's the case. As for bringing back a former coach, well, that's a daft comment and it depends on the circumstances surely? I don't think Whitley Bay (!) would refuse Mike Babcock (former player coach who now coaches in the NHL and has won a Stanley Cup!) nor I suspect would Manchester do the same with Kurt Kleinendorst, who went on to coach in the New Jersey Devils organisation.

Gazza272

august04 said:
Gazza272 said:
But any road While we are all dissapointed we are at present on course to have a better season than last season, so for me we have to Give G a further season to see if he can improve again, and if he were to get the sack i would never bring back a former coach, as they are former coaches for a reason in my opinion.
I can't bear the thought of another season of mediocrity if that's the case. As for bringing back a former coach, well, that's a daft comment and it depends on the circumstances surely? I don't think Whitley Bay (!) would refuse Mike Babcock (former player coach who now coaches in the NHL and has won a Stanley Cup!) nor I suspect would Manchester do the same with Kurt Kleinendorst, who went on to coach in the New Jersey Devils organisation.

Well G has had two proper seasons to learn his craft, and if he hasnt learned the mistakes of years 1 and 2 by year 3 then i'll be the first to say get someone else in. But i'm willing to give him his third chance.

And i dont consider my comment daft really, Babcock and Kleinendorst are two extreme examples, but they are examples i'll grant you.

But there isnt one Devils coach in the past i would have here now for a variety of different reasons,And given that Coventry and Sheffield (although not so much this season) have shown that on the ice consistency pays off, and i'm willing to give G more time to give us that consistency.

A

Anonymous

TheDevilTorn said:
There's no excuses at all for such a bad away record, so if a new coach is the answer then it has to be done. My hockey knowledge isn't vast but as a big footy fan I know that it has to go down to either motivation, tactics or both. The last game I went to was the 3:2 OT win against the Panthers, a game I thought overall we pretty much dominated, but then our latest away games have seen us lose to 3 sides all below us? Something really has to be changed. I do agree with the ex-coach comment although it depends on circumstance and why they leave.

Ed Patterson was a bully, he ostracised players for being professional and not joining the drink club, and the other clown that's been mentioned Dave Whistle only had one team / winning formula. His book of player contacts was smaller than Darnells / Thompsons book of hockey knowledge, in his last ill fated pre season with the squeelers he struggled to put a team together, he eventually tooked his tale between his legs and caught the next plane back to the States, leaving the sqeelers with 4 weeks to find half a team.

So on those grounds I would pass on both.

Sponge Bob said:
Ed Patterson was a bully, he ostracised players for being professional and not joining the drink club, and the other clown that's been mentioned Dave Whistle only had one team / winning formula. His book of player contacts was smaller than Darnells / Thompsons book of hockey knowledge, in his last ill fated pre season with the squeelers he struggled to put a team together, he eventually tucked his tale between his legs and caught the next plane back to the States, leaving the sqeelers with 4 weeks to find half a team.

mazza03

There are only two coaches that I would welcome back but hey would now be too old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: and they are The Weasel AKA Lawless :eek: and Paul Heavey. As for Ed from what I heard he wasn't particularly trustworthy, and no I don't know something that you don't it's just rumours that went around at the time. ;)

Some fans really really need to STOP living in the past !!

I have no idea why we are not playing to our ability...is it the coach ? Is it the players ?

If views are correct (and i have no reason to doubt them) and the team are going through the motions on the ice then bench them.....we are going to lose anyway. When the players ae looking for teams next year, the new coach would want explanations as to why they were being benched.

If, as others say, the coach isnt up to the job/cant motivate the team. Then it is up to the players to voice their concerns to Shannon/Matt.

There is a solution to every problem BUT until the correct problem is found nothing can be achieved.

As for Patterson...the day he walked onto that bench as coach would be my last game i would attend as a Devils fan !! (Would still follow/support them but not with my money)

Sponge Bob said:
Ed Patterson was a bully, he ostracised players for being professional and not joining the drink club, and the other clown that's been mentioned Dave Whistle only had one team / winning formula. His book of player contacts was smaller than Darnells / Thompsons book of hockey knowledge, in his last ill fated pre season with the squeelers he struggled to put a team together, he eventually tooked his tale between his legs and caught the next plane back to the States, leaving the sqeelers with 4 weeks to find half a team.

Totally agree with this one. Neither did our club any good. We might not be having a good time of it at the moment but one thing I am sure of is that G cares, inexperienced yes, but cares passionately about making the Devils a success. Patterson and Whistle only cared about one thing and that was themselves.