Who would be your ideal next HC and AC?

Devil94

I was looking at players that Russell might be interested in rather than players I would personally go for. I’m not sure about Tetlow either, doesn’t use his size enough.
I just can’t see us going into next season with our current Brits. I can see a couple of changes
Been looking at Russell's ex players in Germany. Brett Bulmer played for him in Freiburg, would be a good signing for us I think. Big winger that can score, and reasonably tough from what I can remember. Did very well for Fife, NHL experience, 200+ AHL games.
Played at a lower standard last few seasons but he's still only 31, will have good knowledge of the league and the type of player we have been lacking. Who knows, but worth a look.

Scott Allen also played on that team under Russell for 2 years. Not been announced that he's back at Sheffield yet, but perhaps another possibility.

Last edited:

Swarley

His family live in Swindon I believe. Would make more sense to come to Cardiff instead of going back to Glasgow
My information on his family was way off lol, no matter who the coach is I just want a team that plays as a team, stands up for each other and for the love of all things Welsh a power play that actually produces.

kettdevil1

He faced 13 shots for one of his shut outs....
True but stating the obvious it depends on the quality. Just as a comparison, the Italy squad had this experience:

WC: 278 GP
HockeyAllsvenskan: 14 GP
Liiga: 59 GP
KHL: 92 GP
AHL: 210 GP
DEL: 774 GP

Compare that with Belfast last season:

WC: 52 GP
HockeyAllsvenskan: 57 GP
Liiga: 136 GP
Czechia: 31 GP
AHL: 203 GP
DEL: 67 GP

And I would argue that Italy look marginally stronger on paper, hence, I am still struggling to see the argument that the standard is lower? Thomas Larkin, amongst others, are as good a player as you will see in the EIHL and whilst the lower ranked teams are not massively strong, I would argue nor were (say) Dundee or Fife

moggy#9

True but stating the obvious it depends on the quality. Just as a comparison, the Italy squad had this experience:

WC: 278 GP
HockeyAllsvenskan: 14 GP
Liiga: 59 GP
KHL: 92 GP
AHL: 210 GP
DEL: 774 GP

Compare that with Belfast last season:

WC: 52 GP
HockeyAllsvenskan: 57 GP
Liiga: 136 GP
Czechia: 31 GP
AHL: 203 GP
DEL: 67 GP

And I would argue that Italy look marginally stronger on paper, hence, I am still struggling to see the argument that the standard is lower? Thomas Larkin, amongst others, are as good a player as you will see in the EIHL and whilst the lower ranked teams are not massively strong, I would argue nor were (say) Dundee or Fife
But the arguement was about the overall level. Italy and Poland were strong, Korea, Romania and Lithuania, not so much.

The_Stick_

Thread starter #196
Based on what he was like at Nottingham a few years ago, yes definitely take him. But, as with any player from past years, is he still that player?
I definitely agree with you, he could well be a shadow of his former self. Despite this however, I would personally like to see us take the chance, as he is the exact type of winger we are calling out for

moggy#9

That doesn't answer my question. I asked WHY were they lower?
Well, as I mentioned in my original post there was a big difference in the capabilities of the top and bottom half of the group. I believe that Murphy and adey specifically mentioned in the Korea game that they couldn't complete physically for example. Generally if you can't manage more than 20 shots in a game, you're likely to be struggling for quality shots and possession too.

Quality shots generally require zone position, and retention. Several of gb's opponents struggled with those things.

Finny

Well, as I mentioned in my original post there was a big difference in the capabilities of the top and bottom half of the group. I believe that Murphy and adey specifically mentioned in the Korea game that they couldn't complete physically for example. Generally if you can't manage more than 20 shots in a game, you're likely to be struggling for quality shots and possession too.

Quality shots generally require zone position, and retention. Several of gb's opponents struggled with those things.
So you're saying that Korea, Lithuania and Romania are lower quality than the EIHL?