Who would be your ideal next HC and AC?

Kevlar68

He's a seasoned defence player

Loves the club

He has ran through walls for the badge at times

He also has a lot of respect from his team mates

I personally believe he has a lot to offer the club as an assistant coach given the chance, he's a student of the Lordo era and could possibly write the wrongs created over the last season.
I thought it might be all of the above but does that translate into being able to coach?

Swarley

I thought it might be all of the above but does that translate into being able to coach?

If the transition is done correctly it's possible, give him a season of limited duties as an assistant coach while maintaining his ice time as a player I don't see why it wouldn't work as Lou is very meticulous and calculated, just look at the work he put in along side Richie to get Kelly into a fluid spot when he was called up.

The difference being it would be a slow transition instead of being thrown in at the deep end.

Kevlar68

I think though if we get an experienced coach they may then know of an AC they would like to work alongside instead of the club installing one.

moggy#9

If the transition is done correctly it's possible, give him a season of limited duties as an assistant coach while maintaining his ice time as a player I don't see why it wouldn't work as Lou is very meticulous and calculated, just look at the work he put in along side Richie to get Kelly into a fluid spot when he was called up.

The difference being it would be a slow transition instead of being thrown in at the deep end.
I'd still argue that it's about talent, and not just training. It would be great if it worked out though.

Swarley

I'd still argue that it's about talent, and not just training. It would be great if it worked out though.
Oh definitely has to be about talent and not just training which is why if it was to happen I think a gradual integration would be better instead of throwing him in at the deep end with a sink or swim situation.

Ocko

Not saying it's an absolute fact but from where I stand in the arena I could see franny was always on point watching the game and watching Dupont and Horn and they never looked to him for advice, which I can understand if they're trying to figure out things on their own and getting results but in my opinion they didn't lean on franny when they should of for help.
Unless you’re actually on the bench it’s impossible to know the conversations that went on. Franny ran the D on game night this year.

Gavevs88

HC - Genuinely think PR is a good fit
AC - Dicko (But I've heard he's got a coaching role in Europe)
Player AC - Joey Martin

Joey is surely a HC in years to come, so surely it's time we started putting him through the ranks??

The_Stick_

Thread starter #31
HC - Genuinely think PR is a good fit
AC - Dicko (But I've heard he's got a coaching role in Europe)
Player AC - Joey Martin

Joey is surely a HC in years to come, so surely it's time we started putting him through the ranks??
Joey has a brilliant hockey IQ, and this is translated exceptionally on the ice. I also vaguely remember him mentioning that he was interested in a coaching prior to the pandemic

Finny

Also curious; Dupont and Horn rightly or wrongly got a slating on here. Why was Franny exempt from this? Has he outgrown his time on the bench?
I think at the start of the season they said that due to work and family commitments Franny wouldn’t be able to contribute as much as in previous years. So he wasn’t going to away games and presumably wasn’t at training sessions during the week.
I guess that some would then question his effectiveness on the bench for home games but I like the idea of having someone from the club management in that position, monitoring the coaching situation through the season as well as giving their experience - especially if it is someone relatively new to the club and league.

My biggest worry from the season was the lack of improvement on the PP. That would almost certainly have been down to DuPont and Horn.

AJ73

Not saying it's an absolute fact but from where I stand in the arena I could see franny was always on point watching the game and watching Dupont and Horn and they never looked to him for advice, which I can understand if they're trying to figure out things on their own and getting results but in my opinion they didn't lean on franny when they should of for help.
The perplexing bit for me around the powerplay, was in the 3ish weeks we had Fournier he was out on in PP1 line and we started scoring on the powerplay with a screen in front of the goalie and someone working in the dirty areas.

Yet after Fournier leaving, instead of deploying Batch/Louis as a replacement type screen, we reverted back to the 4 (small) forwards and Crawford and it completely unravelled again, and they didn’t attempt to try something different for the 6 weeks post Fournier leaving.

moggy#9

The perplexing bit for me around the powerplay, was in the 3ish weeks we had Fournier he was out on in PP1 line and we started scoring on the powerplay with a screen in front of the goalie and someone working in the dirty areas.

Yet after Fournier leaving, instead of deploying Batch/Louis as a replacement type screen, we reverted back to the 4 (small) forwards and Crawford and it completely unravelled again, and they didn’t attempt to try something different for the 6 weeks post Fournier leaving.
Yes, and it was even stranger once we had the option to use pietroniro on defence to cover.

It'll be very interesting to see how the new coach handles it. I would expect an announcement fairly soon, unless it's Pete Russell, in which case they might leave it until after the GB games.

The_Stick_

Thread starter #40
Stavanger Oilers HC, Todd Bjorkstrand has just left after 5 years. Won 2 league titles, and worked with Joey Martin during the Covid season. Could potentially be a HC option?