4 Devils players banned?

DevilDom

A sad day - this so obviously smells rotten. 4 Devils players banned the day before a match against the Elite League (sorry I mean the steelers).

These games should be the pinnacles of the season, playing the league champions at home with a new side believed capable of winning it this year. Now Saturday will be something of a farce with the Devils more than likely reduced to damage limitation. Worst of all I have bought my tickets and am bringing a friend to his first game (a game I thought would be an exciting evenly contested match).

I suppose we could take it as compliment, i.e. that the steelers need to reduce us by 4 imports to make sure they win (i think it will be nothing short of a miracle if we can pull a win out of the bag).

Wannabe2

DevilDom said:
A sad day - this so obviously smells rotten. 4 Devils players banned the day before a match against the Elite League (sorry I mean the steelers).

These games should be the pinnacles of the season, playing the league champions at home with a new side believed capable of winning it this year. Now Saturday will be something of a farce with the Devils more than likely reduced to damage limitation. Worst of all I have bought my tickets and am bringing a friend to his first game (a game I thought would be an exciting evenly contested match).

I suppose we could take it as compliment, i.e. that the steelers need to reduce us by 4 imports to make sure they win (i think it will be nothing short of a miracle if we can pull a win out of the bag).
There again on the big plus sign, you are a Devils fan, and these arseholes can never ever take that away from you, me, and the rest of us.Some teams need to take players out from ours to make it an even contest, pretty low morals

Wannabe2 said:
DevilDom said:

There again on the big plus sign, you are a Devils fan, and these arseholes can never ever take that away from you, me, and the rest of us.Some teams need to take players out from ours to make it an even contest, pretty low morals
Yeah i know what you are saying but we really need to stop taking silly penalties and getting bans, we do it all the time and i wonder how much longer we can continue doing it if we are to be real title contenders. Also i do wonder if this will be Brads swansong? i love the guy to bits but he could be to much of a liability if we want to move forward.

Lid said:
Also wasn't Cloutier trying to knock the door down to get off the ice to join in the fight? Wouldn't that be worth a ban for a few games?
Yeah was Cloutier, seen in the second video hitting the devils door, couldn't open it so skate towards the hull end. Also Cloutier was the one who was pulling Max off the bench.

Gaz G said:
I think they are all daft to be honest. Why has it taken till today for this to be announced? This league is fast becoming a joke!!!
No mate it's been a joke for a good few years now.

The biggest travesties to come out of last weekends match - 1) The disproportionate adjudication of penalties by Dean "The Anti-Devil" Smith - the perception is that he only seems to penalise Devils infringements - and 2) the sad fact that the paying public will have to endure Dean "The Anti-Devil" Smith's inept refereeing again during the season.

How in a fracas like happened last weekend - can you only end up with 2 Hull players getting banned and 4 Devils players - Yes there was fault on both sides but it wasn't just 2 Hull players getting involved. Had Mr Smith applied any degree of common sense, he would have sent the two players off the ice at different times hence avoiding the upgrading of the incident from Match penalties to the Travesty Charges - Suggest Mr Smith go out and buy a dictionary and get someone to read out the definition of travesty to him.

I will accept that the games must have referees - without them you have no game
Yes the refereeing standard in the Elite league is not as good as everyone would like it to be, and No they don't get paid huge amounts for what they do.
However there is a valid argument that until such time as teams protest at the inconsistencies in refereeing decisions from match to match, or even within the same game, then the game we all love so much, will simply beome a sad joke.

Yes the bans would still stand but 3 players would be back for the 1st home squeelers game. Just think of Bobs face to see best laid plans go to waste. A depleated team on an away game won't affect our attendance figures either.

Sliput

Block 2 Noise Boys said:
Gaz G said:
I think they are all daft to be honest. Why has it taken till today for this to be announced? This league is fast becoming a joke!!!
Had Mr Smith applied any degree of common sense, he would have sent the two players off the ice at different times hence avoiding the upgrading
We cant keep using this as an excuse...both players are grown men and had two options , go to the dressing room or cross the line and aquire match penalties. Voth especially had the two options. They both took the wrong option !!

Saying that i do agree that some of our penalties were a bit dubious but again Max swung a stick at an opponent....if Finnerty had done that to Latulippe last season we would all be screaming for a harsh penalty.
I understand red mist/heat of the moment but if we want to challenge for titles and siverware this year the guys MUST learn to control it,otherwise Brad will be banned from entering anywhere where there is ice ....which will be a pain when he wants a beer :) .Seriously though , we know the league are just waiting for him to slip up....lets not play into their hands.

Wannabe2

Perhaps we should sign a bunch of pussies like Sheffield have done, the very same team who no one goes to see. They have dropped 66% in attendance since 10yrs ago, thats like us now playing in front of 5-600 people.

Sliput

Wannabe2 said:
Perhaps we should sign a bunch of pussies like Sheffield have done, the very same team who no one goes to see. They have dropped 66% in attendance since 10yrs ago, thats like us now playing in front of 5-600 people.
You dont have to be so defensive Wannabe.......Coventry dont have players that no-one likes or ever had a really tough team but they still manage nearly 2000 a game...you have to have a mix of both !!

Wannabe2

I am talking about Sheffield not Coventry, i have friends who are Steelers fans, and they are gutted about whats happening up there and they are only a small part of it, thats why 2500 people are watching a arena team.

Sliput

Wannabe2 said:
I am talking about Sheffield not Coventry, i have friends who are Steelers fans, and they are gutted about whats happening up there and they are only a small part of it, thats why 2500 people are watching a arena team.
I misunderstood what you meant...but i think you misunderstood my point......nevermind :) ;)

I dont' understand the hartwick and romfo bans, I've seen fighting in the last 5 mins before and players haven't been banned ! Is this a new thing/rule they've made up ?

Wannabe2

NOISYGIRL said:
I dont' understand the hartwick and romfo bans, I've seen fighting in the last 5 mins before and players haven't been banned ! Is this a new thing/rule they've made up ?
Yep its called the new Sheffield Scheme but it only relates to the other 7 teams in the league, as the Steelers are well above such a trivial rule.

It said last 2 minutes on the Capitals site.

Agreed with most of the sentiments posted here tbh. The inconsistencies with which the penalties were handed out was disgraceful. The Stingrays clearly instigated the ruckus but as usual, it's the Devils who come out worse off. There were at least three more Hull players involved as well as Romfo and Hartwick. I'm really not surprised any more though.