4 Devils players banned?

Sliput said:
We cant keep using this as an excuse...both players are grown men and had two options , go to the dressing room or cross the line and aquire match penalties. Voth especially had the two options. They both took the wrong option !!

Saying that i do agree that some of our penalties were a bit dubious but again Max swung a stick at an opponent....if Finnerty had done that to Latulippe last season we would all be screaming for a harsh penalty.
I understand red mist/heat of the moment but if we want to challenge for titles and siverware this year the guys MUST learn to control it,otherwise Brad will be banned from entering anywhere where there is ice ....which will be a pain when he wants a beer :) .Seriously though , we know the league are just waiting for him to slip up....lets not play into their hands.
In my opinion the biggest excuse we should not be using again is Dean Smith. That prat could not keep control of a junior game. Not a great lino, a disaster as a ref.

NOISYGIRL said:
I dont' understand the hartwick and romfo bans, I've seen fighting in the last 5 mins before and players haven't been banned ! Is this a new thing/rule they've made up ?
As of this week it would seem.

I've tried to find some games from the archive on ih update to see if there have been any matches where players have recieved 5+ game for fighting in the last 2 minutes and found these 3 pretty quickly. However I don't remember the players involved recieving the 1 game ban that apparently comes with that penalty. :roll:

http://www.ih-update.co.uk/game_details.php?id=2052
http://www.ih-update.co.uk/game_details.php?id=2033
http://www.ih-update.co.uk/game_details.php?id=1056

Finny

Someone (Gazza?) said the rule was brought in towards the end of last season.

I shall certainly be keeping an eye out for any similar penalties this year - just to make sure there aren't any double standards. Hopefully it will come back to haunt certain other teams like it did with Belfast last year.

I think I am going to get flamed for some of this but....The best result from this chaos for us and the Stingrays would have been if Brad and Knight were the only ones to get bans. I think that is what both teams were looking for, but unfortunately the league looked at the wider picture and saw other significant incidents like Huppe's and Max both using their sticks dangerously (which amongst players is seen as worse that fights) and these got penalised heavily. This along with the literal interpretation of any fighting in the last few minutes of a game has lead to the current situation.

What I do feel is.
1) We had won. Hull went out to get retribution for a hit earlier and we lost our heads.
2) Brad was always going to get about 5 games, surely that doesnt suprise anyone.
3) Players know the rules, they know what the use of sticks means and if there is a rule this year that says there is no fighting in the last minutes of a game, then they should know that too.
If they dont know it they should (they are professionals) and if they do then they wont be suprised that they have a ban.

I know that you back up your team mates etc, but we could have limited this to an incident involving Tyler, Knight and Brad and no one else, ) and it was in Hull's interest to cause chaos (if anyones). I'm Not backing the league, cos I dont think the bans are consistent (I expected 3 bans for us and 2 for them at most) with Knight getting one more than Brad and Huppe getting a similar ban along with a 3rd man in for us and possibly one game for Max.

One thing thats important is that, that the bans for fights in the last mins set a precident (if the rule wasnt clear, it is now) and as Finny says above, the league will have to apply them every time it happens. If they do then fine, but if they don't and we get a situation like last year then I will definately, stop being so even handed and will be joining the conspiracy theorist for sure.

i like the way bob phillips has handed out these penalties when brent pope has said that after last year the league deceided to have an independant disciplinary committee

Im not going to comment to much as its been pretty much discussed now but i will say i am disgusted with the league.
Huskie, yes we should expect bans but the league have gone to far, everyone agrees voths is reasonable, but knights should be longer. IMO romfo should not be considered 3rd man in, the refs made no effort to remove knight from michel whilst on the floor so romfo went in to help remove knight. Im sorry but that warrents no ban at all.
Was really looking forward to todays game but not anymore, will still be giving the team my full support but its going to be a sorry affair.

could tonight be the proving ground for smith maybe? we all should have faith in the players that are icing and besides how good do the rest of the team look? players like, davies, latulippe, lyle, jarvis, michel, and hilly have all looked sharp as ever and they're all still playing may be double shifting but playing nonethe less? tonight is going to be tough yeah but we're capable of winning and seeing some excellent hockey by the remaining players, instead of giving the impression that we're scared of the squeelers why don't we all get behind the guys on the ice tonight and show them we could beat them even if we had 10 players banned!

Russky

There is no co-incidence here! The Sheffield Disciplinary panel of the Elite league has ruled! Who are we playing this weekend? Work it out for yourselves. Will all our players automatically get a ban for daring to turn up and play against Sheffield this weekend? Wait and See!

Voth Ban: Not surprised in fact relieved it wasnt more!

Romfo and Hartwick: Very Harsh :evil:

Birbraer: Scandalously biased and effectively renders us without a defence this weekend. :evil:

Hull
Knight: Should have got more as he was 'spoiling' for a fight all night and clearly instigated the fracas which started it all off!

Huppe: Should have got more for treating his stick like a javelin. Ludicrously dangerous!

Cloutier: Should have had 2 match ban for failing to control Knight!

I'm one of Voth's biggest fans, but come on every season he gets banned for x amount of games. Fair enough he fights on the ice and thats where it should stay, He got thrown out of the Hull game and in my opinion he should have just walked straight into his dressing room and closed the door, but no what does he do walks past his dressing room and carries on fighting behind the team bench. What happens next he gets banned again, i know we all think he a great/player,guy etc but The guy has got no discipline and the way he is going he is gonna cost us games, just my opininion though. :(

Welshy74

Surely if Romfo and Hartwick were banned for fighting at the end of the game why havent the Hull players they were fighting with received the same or were they fighting each other?

I think it's great that we can call on the players from the ENL and gives them a great opportunity to shine.

Whilst I have long since given up on the 'professionals' who run this league, most of our players will be back tomorrow.

However I do tend to agree with others regarding Brad, he needs to learn to pick his fights. There was only ever going to be one outcome of that disgrace behind the bench, retalliation, no matter how much the provocation, will always end in tears.

Referees are not perfect, no one is, but nonthe less they have a thankless job to do and they have to be trusted to do it.

Brad just has to learn when to walk away, as in my opinion, that can have a bigger impact than any punch.

Ghost Dog said:
It said last 2 minutes on the Capitals site.

Agreed with most of the sentiments posted here tbh. The inconsistencies with which the penalties were handed out was disgraceful. The Stingrays clearly instigated the ruckus but as usual, it's the Devils who come out worse off. There were at least three more Hull players involved as well as Romfo and Hartwick. I'm really not surprised any more though.

And what about the hull players that jumped over the plexi behind the bench, our players were still on the bench

wow...just...wow, what a flippin' coincidence all this comes out a day before we play the squeelers. Brads and max's bans were fairly fair but hartwicks and romfos is just plain crazy!
I pretty much guarantee if we werent playing sheffield 3 out of our next 5 games (or whatever it is) the bans would be nowhere near as harsh!
This league a.k.a. sheffields big wigs are a complete joke

J.B said:
Russky said:
Cloutier: Should have had 2 match ban for failing to control Knight!
And the same or more for Adams for failing to control his 4 players?
Adams was given game at the start of the match, so he was forbidden to try tpo control his players, so no blame can be attached there.