Cardiff Devils vs Hull Stingrays - Sun 6pm - Chat/Updates

Gazza272

Apparantly according to my old man the incidents from last night will be shown on the BBC news bulletin which starts at half past 6.

Could be interesting viewing.

Gazza272 said:
Apparantly according to my old man the incidents from last night will be shown on the BBC news bulletin which starts at half past 6.

This is what I hate. We only ever get on the news when its a negative thing. We are advertised as a family sport but I bet many families watching would be disgusted with the events.....

samidevils said:
Gazza272 said:

This is what I hate. We only ever get on the news when its a negative thing. We are advertised as a family sport but I bet many families watching would be disgusted with the events.....
They say any PR is good PR. For every person it turns away I'm sure there will be another person who this kind of thing attracts (probably the twenty somethings).

TheStub said:
I know I wasn't there, but I have to agree with holl_5s point. Brad should have walked on by. He picks up penalties way too easily, but sometimes he picks his fights badly. He now looks like a goon when he could have taken effect high road.

This willcost usdearly. Brad needs to stop doing these stupid, rash things so he can be on the ice where we need him.

Exactly....you werent there!!!! :evil: Voth had no choice in the matter, he was neither stupid or rash, he was being an enforcer protecting our team members!
I blame the Refs for not doing their job properly? everyone could see what was going to happen, why did they send them off at the same time??? knight instigated the whole off ice event and should be punished and made an example of not Brad, (did you know that there were a no of hull players laying into brad? prob not cos u werent there) it seems to me that just because he is named Brad Voth that he is responsible for everything that ever happens in hockey??? :evil:
Ice hockey is a violent sport at times it is all part of the game, it annoys me when people moan about it, it happens, if you dont like it, dont watch it!
Hearsay is like chinese whispers and can be damaging to our club and players reputations??

Well I'm not going to comment on the obvious as I think every angle has been discussed 10 times over... But seriously, we had a really good game out there last night! I totally 100% agree with the comments on our 3rd Line, it looks really strong. Every game Ben Davies seems to get quicker and even better at forechecking, What a cracking player he's going to turn out to be, he's a joy to watch. I thought every player had a pretty decent game, even though its been mentioned Miller was a bit quiet he still had some pretty good shots that either missed by a margin or rang of the post.

For a first home game of the season I was really impressed with the team and their energy, I hope we can keep it up and don't get hit so hard with injuries as has happened in recent years!

I'm so glad there's something to do again on a Sunday night!!!

TheStub said:
A few people have mentioned the reffing played a part in tonights event, and certainly last night it seemed a bit lumpy.

I hope, but doubt, that the league will also review Smiths actions tonight. The whole game. Yes, you get niggly games, but good refs can stop it escalating.

I have been steaming of that for tests though.

i Agree the ref couldve done a lot more to diffuse the situation.... Where is Boniface and Hicks, bring them back i say!! lol

Gazza272

Merthyr Devil said:
1.44 the stick flies across and actually hits our players that turn around to see what it was. The fact that who threw it isn't on camera show how far its been thrown.

I really hope the eye in the sky caught huppe doing that

Well...that was worse than i thought :( .

It looked like a bar room brawl,i know it wasnt all his fault but i think Voth should have just walked into the dressing room......not the smartest move by him to walk towards Knight (Who deserves to be banned for a long time). Red mist or not...dumb move by Brad.

Sylvian Cloutier made himself look a total pratt skating to our bench and then skating to the Devils door.

A very unhappy Devils fan :(

Ocko

This is no way bad PR. For all those anti fighting fans who are disgusted by what they saw there are at least more than double who will be intrigued and will be encouraged to watch a game live after seeing this on TV.

I think there is alot of over reaction on here at the moment, the only bad incident I can see is the stick throwing - no place for that in the game what so ever. But as for the bench/ice clearing, that has never done any harm to the game nor the players. Knight obviously thought that his team needed to regain some pride or send a message to the Devils after a physical game with not long left (it happens all the time, Devils have done it a number of times too) you cant blame him for that. Likewise you cannot blame Voth or Romfo for being 3rd men in, they HAVE to protect their team-mates. Then all the stuff that happened behind the bench is just heat of the moment stuff, we havent seen it for a couple of years but that is just because the league is alot softer than it used to be. Especially with the way the officials at EIHL HQ want the game to be played, I most certainly would not want a Euro style league.

I know which Hull team I would want to turn up in two weeks time out of this years mental Hull team and the Dull Stingrays of previous years!

The league will probably hand out some hefty bans just to send a message and over-react, but then they always do and its what we have come to accept form a corrupt and clueless organisatuion. IMO Voth should get his double match reduced to a game, Knight should stay at 2 and Huppe should get 5-10 games.

Welcome back to Cardiff Old Time Hockey!!!!

drainage

icebaby said:
I dont agree Gazza - from what Ive heard the stick throw was to diffuse a situation and yes its not good i agree but neither is grabbing Knights jersey from over the plexi and holding him by the back of the neck while he is fighting voth and then players using their sticks like baseball bats to hit him from over the plexi... and the stick throwing incident did diffuse things...not the smartest thing to do but again not the worst given sticks were being used as weapons to a players head/face with intent which also could have caused serious damage and luckily didnt.

No wonder the stingrays reacted how they did -

Voth shouldnt have left the pen box as he still had time on his penalty but the big problem is the off ice security - should have been more present at both benches given the nature of the game right through.

Build a bridge and all that.... id much prefer to watch an entertaining game than the dull hockey this league has served for the last few years plus with Voths reputation in the past - it would have just been a normal line brawl if Voth hadnt left the pen box it wouldnt have kicked off how it obviously did. I cant wait for the sheffield and hull games lol

I'll say up front wasnt at the game so cant comment on what did/didnt happen - but irrespective of that when did we ever think lobbing a stick at someone was a way to difuse any situation !!!! That come from the NATO peace keeping handbook !! Next you'll be suggesting shooting people in the streets just in case a situation develops !! Better to be safe than sorry eh - sorry but you must have rocks in your head !

Finny

Well we can safely say now the video footage is available, that ice_baby was talking rubbish. The Devils players are just watching the fight over the plexi when the stick is thrown.

drainage

Finny said:
Well we can safely say now the video footage is available, that ice_baby was talking rubbish. The Devils players are just watching the fight over the plexi when the stick is thrown.

Safe to say anyone who thinks stick throwing difuses a situation could be accused of talking rubbish ! :D :D

draig-goch said:
Don't know how Hull got behind the benches but very difficult for the Devils players get there making defending Voth difficult and the fight one-sided.
The problem with the away players bench is that there is one section that has no plexi so they can just quite happily climb over!

Ladybug said:
The problem with the away players bench is that there is one section that has no plexi so they can just quite happily climb over!
I think thats for the kit people/physio's and coaches because otherwise the only way to get onto the bench is to walk around on the ice. So they can't really be expected to do that throughout the game, what if they need to go to the dressing room? Our bench isn't blocked off on the side like the away bench.

icebaby said:
I dont agree Gazza - from what Ive heard the stick throw was to diffuse a situation and yes its not good i agree but neither is grabbing Knights jersey from over the plexi and holding him by the back of the neck while he is fighting voth and then players using their sticks like baseball bats to hit him from over the plexi... and the stick throwing incident did diffuse things...not the smartest thing to do but again not the worst given sticks were being used as weapons to a players head/face with intent which also could have caused serious damage and luckily didnt.

No wonder the stingrays reacted how they did -

Voth shouldnt have left the pen box as he still had time on his penalty but the big problem is the off ice security - should have been more present at both benches given the nature of the game right through.

Build a bridge and all that.... id much prefer to watch an entertaining game than the dull hockey this league has served for the last few years plus with Voths reputation in the past - it would have just been a normal line brawl if Voth hadnt left the pen box it wouldnt have kicked off how it obviously did. I cant wait for the sheffield and hull games lol
You 'heard' the stick throwing was to diffuse the situation, who was your source Mike Tyson? I dont know what's worse, the fact you believe this was the reason for it or the fact you actually thought it worked. As for using sticks as baseball bats - no I'm not even going there

drainage said:
Finny said:

Safe to say anyone who thinks stick throwing difuses a situation could be accused of talking rubbish ! :D :D
The stick was not thrown to defuse the incident, I think Huppe was aiming at Max.. Max firstly swings his stick at Knight as Knight taunts the Devils bench then when Voth and Knight are fighting behind the benches Max is poking his stick at Knight and grabbing his jersey over the plexi..

Huppe
Max
Voth
Knight
Hartwick

could all be looking at a few games out..