Cardiff Devils vs Hull Stingrays - Sun 6pm - Chat/Updates

Wannabe2

NOISYGIRL said:
samidevils said:
Gazza272 said:
Apparantly according to my old man the incidents from last night will be shown on the BBC news bulletin which starts at half past 6.

Could be interesting viewing.
This is what I hate. We only ever get on the news when its a negative thing. We are advertised as a family sport but I bet many families watching would be disgusted with the events.....

Exactly what I said, came home bout 7, my mother said, oooo the devils were on telly on the news, all that fighting was terrible
This had nothing to do with the fact it kicked off last night, the beeb were going to show a clip of the game whatever, as it was the first competitive game of the season. We will have more news coverage this season than we have had for a fair old while

oneill said:
Finny said:
oneill said:
Hartwick for fighting in the last 5 minutes of a game.. automatic one game ban.. Max stick swinging numerous times in the incident and will probable get a ban as well.... I'm a neutral by the way so no bias towards either club just saying what I see..
Isn't it just a game penalty for fighting in the final x minutes of a game? I.e. kicked out of the game but no additional ban?
Game ban from what I remember last season.. Rushton and Holland both got game bans at the end of the Giants v Vipers game last season for starting fights in the last 5 minutes..
Your saying Game ban. Yeah a game ban is the game your playing in, IE Hulls game last night. Match is the next game. Hartwick should get the same as Thompson IE a Game maximum.

Other than that I agree, Max, Huppe, Voth and Knight.

Maybe add Cloutier for 1 or 2.

Not being funny mate but you cant mention Sharpes name in the same breath as what happened last night, even more so if you werent there.
I know Wannabe you Devils fans are always rock solid behind your guys and that's great, but what I'm saying is if Sharp or Payette was involved in something like that last night use guys would be thinking and calling for bans, and rightly so....

You know I love all this kind of stuff and I'm a fan of Voth's ( Favourite player outside of the Giants) but at the same time I'm not going to call it differently just because he's involved.. I'm just hoping the league does not hand out over the top bans for this..

Your saying Game ban. Yeah a game ban is the game your playing in, IE Hulls game last night. Match is the next game. Hartwick should get the same as Thompson IE a Game maximum.
Rushton and Holland both had to sit out the next game for dropping the gloves in the last 5 minutes.... I think Hartwick will as well.. Thompson never dropped the gloves so I can't see him being penalised..

Could be interesting viewing.[/quote]

This is what I hate. We only ever get on the news when its a negative thing. We are advertised as a family sport but I bet many families watching would be disgusted with the events.....[/quote]

Exactly what I said, came home bout 7, my mother said, oooo the devils were on telly on the news, all that fighting was terrible[/quote]
This had nothing to do with the fact it kicked off last night, the beeb were going to show a clip of the game whatever, as it was the first competitive game of the season. We will have more news coverage this season than we have had for a fair old while[/quote]

Oh that's good then, look forward to the coverage :D

Wannabe2

NOISYGIRL said:
Could be interesting viewing.
This is what I hate. We only ever get on the news when its a negative thing. We are advertised as a family sport but I bet many families watching would be disgusted with the events.....[/quote]

Exactly what I said, came home bout 7, my mother said, oooo the devils were on telly on the news, all that fighting was terrible[/quote]
This had nothing to do with the fact it kicked off last night, the beeb were going to show a clip of the game whatever, as it was the first competitive game of the season. We will have more news coverage this season than we have had for a fair old while[/quote]

Oh that's good then, look forward to the coverage :D[/quote]
Totally agree more coverage is what we all want, and at the moment its looking good, just like our team.

oneill said:
Rushton and Holland both had to sit out the next game for dropping the gloves in the last 5 minutes.... I think Hartwick will as well.. Thompson never dropped the gloves so I can't see him being penalised..
So they got Match not game then?

Hartwick got game from Smith, so a game penalty is not assessed. But with everything else being looked into it will probably be done too.

OFF THE RAYS MAIN PAGE

Player-coach Sylvain Cloutier jumped to the defence of his Excel Hull Stingrays side after their Challenge Cup tie at Cardiff Devils ended in chaos.

With Stingrays 5-2 down, referee Dean Smith called an end to the game 23 seconds early after a mass brawl broke out. Adam Knight (Hull) and Brad Voth (Cardiff) were both given double match penalties and Devils duo Scott Romfo and Mike Hartwick were issued with game misconducts – player-coach Gerard Adams had earlier been ejected.

In total, 284 penalty minutes were dished out – Devils (181) and Stingrays (103) - but Cloutier said: "A lot of things were happening out there but we did not go looking for trouble.

"Both teams played hard, it was very competitive, it was intense and stuff happened in the heat of the moment. I don't want to say too much but we will have to wait to see what the league say."

OH REALY! :lol:

I have found the main culprit in all this...Terry Phillips. Yes! If only he'd have pulled Voth back harder, none of this would have happened. 6 match ban for Mr Phillips.

Oh wait.

Shiney35 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om5HKpVyviw

Here you go fight fans, Huppe throwing his stick very clearly.

Enjoy :D
Much better than mine: different angle, clearer and more of it. Something really needs to be done about that spear throwing. You can also clearly see that Knight just went straight for Voth (and no one tried to stop him), he would have followed him to the changing rooms if Voth hadn't met him full on.

august04

Given that double headers, home and away on the same weekend, quite often result in trouble during the second game (maybe not as much as last night!), it's interesting to note that we have the same home and away weekends against both the Steelers and the Giants within the next month or so. Interesting times ahead, if we've got any players left. Who's responsible for arranging these ticking time bomb games?

oneill said:
Max stick swinging numerous times in the incident and will probable get a ban as well.... I'm a neutral by the way so no bias towards either club just saying what I see..
Agree with pretty much all you said except this numerous bit? He only swings his stick once, which was stupid and will get him a ban and he probably will be regretting it. The only other time there is anything close to being considered a "swing" is when he lifts his arm up over the plexi, but then he pulls it straight back over. Then a minute later he drops his stick to the floor.

Agree that it should be huppe, knight, voth and max, i still dont really understand what romfo got his ban for. Im also still really baffled by the refs lack of attempt to try and diffuse the on ice fight.

nmase20 said:
oneill said:
Im also still really baffled by the refs lack of attempt to try and diffuse the on ice fight.
Baffled ? We are talking about Dean Smith here. I knew , after the previous nights niggles, as soon as I saw he was reffing we were in for plenty of entertainment and that he would have no control over the game. Baffled ? not I

nmase20 said:
oneill said:
Max stick swinging numerous times in the incident and will probable get a ban as well.... I'm a neutral by the way so no bias towards either club just saying what I see..
Agree with pretty much all you said except this numerous bit? He only swings his stick once, which was stupid and will get him a ban and he probably will be regretting it. The only other time there is anything close to being considered a "swing" is when he lifts his arm up over the plexi, but then he pulls it straight back over. Then a minute later he drops his stick to the floor.

Agree that it should be huppe, knight, voth and max, i still dont really understand what romfo got his ban for. Im also still really baffled by the refs lack of attempt to try and diffuse the on ice fight.
I don't really see how Max can be banned for swinging his stick. He didn't connect and the second video shows he's a considerable way from hitting Knight.

Unfortunately who knows what the league will do. However, something encouraging from Shannon in the inferno interview was that there were a lot of grey areas that were open to interpretation of the rules last year and that this has been sured up. Let's hope so...

PS I get the impression from Cloutier's press release that it's either damage limitation or neither club is going to screw the other by pushing for major suspensions. I don't see how either team would have anything to gain.

TheStub

Personally, I hope not too much comes of it. From the articles we are seeing from both teams, there seems to be a subtext of contrition - and that an end is seen to this.

Hopefully we wont loose Brad for two many games. The 2 match ban maybe enough, and I might be inclined to extend both players to three so that Brad does not face Knight or any of the Rays.

Should Knight get a harsher penalty, maybe. But we aren't Sheffield, and we should not push to have him thrown out for an extended period. Not that I really rate Knight in any way.

Wannabe2

Holl_5 said:
I have found the main culprit in all this...Terry Phillips. Yes! If only he'd have pulled Voth back harder, none of this would have happened. 6 match ban for Mr Phillips.

Oh wait.
Totally agree Terry was the culprit, surely anyone could pull Brad back with one arm. Think when the league review the footage, Terry my son your looking at one mega long ban.

TheStub said:
Personally, I hope not too much comes of it. From the articles we are seeing from both teams, there seems to be a subtext of contrition - and that an end is seen to this.

Hopefully we wont loose Brad for two many games. The 2 match ban maybe enough, and I might be inclined to extend both players to three so that Brad does not face Knight or any of the Rays.

Should Knight get a harsher penalty, maybe. But we aren't Sheffield, and we should not push to have him thrown out for an extended period. Not that I really rate Knight in any way.
Totally agree. It seems to be being handles in a mature way in the media by both clubs. Mike Pack's quote adds to this.

Unless there is a different camara angle, I can't see where either Knight or Voth will get extra bans from for the off-ice fight. There is no way they can penallise them based on that footage. Also, this took place outside the jurisdiction of the game didn't it?

For mine, Knight could get an extra game for excessive roughness at the end and his earlier punch to the back of Voth's head (which seems to have been forgotten) could cause him a bit of trouble.

I don't really see how Huppe can get away without a ban either as his actions are clear on camara.

Max shouldn't have waved his stick, but at the end of the day it was way away from Knight and there's no way they can prove intent on this. Max can easily argue he was trying to get his attention.

The rest of it is just a bench brawl.

However, hopefully the two clubs can work together on this and common sense prevails.

Let's be honest hear...nobody got seriously hurt and hopefully the players are professional enough to deal with it in the right way in forthcoming fixtures. With that said...we've really hit the jackpot with this on our home opener and I'd be amazed if we don't see our highest ever crowd for a Hull game in 2 weeks time.

This is not the NHL and whatever is said publicaly I'm pretty confident all the other GMs will be gutted this didn't happen in their barn.