Challenge Cup - Devils V Blaze - Double Header

drummer-sean said:
What a game! We controlled it the whole time, but Coventry weren't as woeful as it would seem. They made some good plays and a few of their players were battling for every puck.

First up, have to give credit to Ginand who can not stop scoring. He really is a gem, they've found something really special with him. Looks a threat every time he is on the ice, but as has been said, he can't do it all every night.

Matt Myers, hasn't had the best start to the season but last night looked like the MM who Nottingham loved for all those years, goal was a peach, and worked so hard last night. My MOM.

Tyson Marsh is having a great year, really didn't rate him last year, but I was so very wrong. Dan Lacosta didn't really have much to do in the first period but later on in the game made a lot of good saves. Coventry did a good job of screening him for at least two of their goals.

Everything worked last night. Passing was crisp, the shot selection was much better and everybody really gelled, lines looked like..
Faulkner, Blight, Morrissette
Max, Lord, Davies
Piggott, Myers, Jones.

That third line was really impressive, created a lot of opportunities and Piggott is another who's really impressed me this year, along with CJ.

Lastly, massive thank you to the fans who came to Coventry. Loud all the way through, sang the Anthem proudly (albeit a tad out of tune ;) ) and made it a great trip. Days that make me proud to say I support the devils.

Happy hockey days, lets have another one today.
Coventry were woeful,abject at the back and in goal,to have to rely on a fatboy who looks like he has been eating planet Ice hotdogs and pies in James pease a disgraceful inclusion in the blaze team,seriously is this how far the blaze situation has become,he was even more out of shape than Adam Henrich,this is quite possibly apart from Harvey,ginand and tanaka one of the worst blaze teams I have seen in the past 3 seasons,light years away from last seasons team.

Couldn't care less about tonight's game expecting another heavy defeat,seasons over and not even the end of October,until matty grows a pair of cajones and makes the tough calls and gasses one or possibly 3 players the 360 quid I paid for a season ticket is a waste of money.

Wagstaff

ASHIPP said:
Wagstaff said:
Not taking anything away from your performance, but we played 3 short on the D tonight and it showed big time, we even iced Pease for goodness sake! Zacharias was well and truly hung out to dry. Ginand is excellent when it counts but he can't do it alone every game.

I thought you were going into meltdown over the past couple of weeks but you seem to have come out of it stronger, I think a bit of tough love is needed at the Blaze!
Just to put things in perspective, the Devils were missing 4 players in that game including 2 defencemen. Am sure that tonight will be hard work for both teams again.
That's why I started with the line.... Not taking anything away from your performance!

Earnie

Chris said:
They also iced a guy (23) who looked like he'd won a comp to play for them. He had two or three shifts all game, and I reckon that's all his ticker could take. He looked like he should have been in the bar as opposed to on the ice. We were laughing at him in the warm up.
That would be the legendary James Pease. I'm not really sure if he plays at any level anymore or just gets picked up from the bar when the Blaze have a couple of injuries and everyone hopes he can still skate.

In all fairness there is no need to make remarks about JP.
Good on him for putting his skates on and trying to help.

Well that's the first devil's webcast I've watched and I must say I was impressed by the quality of the feed and the commentary. Diolch to the team that put that together!

A great win tonight over an ill disciplined blaze who looked out played for a lot of that game, well done boys, let's keep it going.

Chris

Administrator
Awesome result :D

Lines looked like they were working much better and the D seemed to hold it together pretty well throughout, helped by some amazing saves from LaCosta!
Actually, I think you might have been right after all. Hull and Coventry would both have to win their remaining games to over take us, but I think they still have to play each other so that's impossible.
It was mentioned by Aled a couple of times that we were safe before tonight, but I guess a victory tonight confirms it if there were any concerns.

3 strong performances in a row now, maybe/hopefully we have finally turned the corner!

Much stronger performances all round. Great result! Really happy to see LaCosta on form, hopefully back in the swing of things after a difficult start (wish people had given him more credit given the circumstances). Hopefully a turning point for the team :-D

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

Devils achieved what they needed to do to be in a good place for next round of C.Cup. Well done Guys you so deserve this after a crap few weeks.

Since the recent changes , 3 wins and won narrow loss show that something is working. The relentless work ethic is still there but on top of that I now see crisper passing, better positioning and better organisation on the ice. Composure and patience paid off tonight....as Blaze piled up the PIMs.

Before the doomsters arrive to say the Devils played a depleted and tired Blaze, well our team were missing 3 players and played a hard game too.

Delighted to see Dan get his first shutout in this league with many more to come.

Good to watch tonight, much more confident and I had faith in the team from the start, something I've struggled to have to date.

Cracking performance by the 50/50 team too.

steve

Coventry were woeful, absolutely shocking and an embarrassment to their fans - especially Henrich (42). However, our D was relentless tonight, awesome games from all the D. The passing is finally getting sharper and quicker, and we were able to maintain possession more easily in the offensive zone. The huge number of penalties helped, and certainly gave the PP a good work out, but the Devils have to take so many positives from this game.

I know the Blaze will say the game didn't really matter, but to go down the way they did really is poor. Harvey let his guy's down big-time tonight, and apart from Ginand (again), no one looked capable of doing anything to change their form.

Hopefully we can put this kind of performance together against a more established/settled team, and be genuinely competitive from hear on in.

Slartibartfast

Crisp passing,relentess forechecking and backchecking, great powerplay, great PK,physical play and a great atmosphere
Whatever was wrong with the Devils is now right.

Wagstaff

Slartibartfast said:
Crisp passing,relentess forechecking and backchecking, great powerplay, great PK,physical play and a great atmosphere
Whatever was wrong with the Devils is now right.
Surprised nobody has mentioned the Pope factor, apparently he was the one doing all the talking last night, and apart from letting people go that's the only change!

Chris

Administrator
Actually it isn't.

G has shifted onto the bench and is no longer player-coach. Ultimately though i'd say it's all the changes that are slowly starting to take effect.

osh

Good workmanlike win tonight. Lots of offensive pressure for us and plenty of decent shots on target. The pp set up is improving and it was good to see LaCosta getting a shut out. Tidy scrap with Quiney getting the verdict. Coventry showed very poor discipline and let their travelling fans down ( nice to see they stood for our anthem, as it was reported that some of our fans refused to stand for the English anthem last night ! ) perhaps the Adams/Pope combination may have some merit after all, early days I know but with a new D man to come in and the return of Conboy, looks like we may be able to get the show back on the road.