Challenge Cup Semi Final

Gazza272

No word on fixtures but we will definatly be playing Belfast by virtue of them finishing top and us finishing second.

Fixtrues are always weird when playing Belfast as there is no way of telling weather they will be playing in Dundonald/dundalk or the Odessey.

Finny

You can bet that Belfast will try to pull their usual trick of making us play in Belfast on the Saturday night, followed by the return leg the following night in Cardiff.

chris592

Saturday night is Hockey night in Belfast (well usually), so why wouldnt we want to play on a saturday?

Anyway a flight to Belfast is hardly taxing, what is it like 40 mins? And to be honest, I always consider having the second leg at home the advantage.

Hardly a trick to be fair.

Wannabe2

chris592 said:
Saturday night is Hockey night in Belfast (well usually), so why wouldnt we want to play on a saturday?

Anyway a flight to Belfast is hardly taxing, what is it like 40 mins? And to be honest, I always consider having the second leg at home the advantage.

In fairness to Finny i think i know what he is talking about, as i think the lads had some difficult time with the travel arrangements last time, hopefully that can be overcome.

Russky

chris592 said:

I think history shows that we are better at home when we know what is required to be done eg Challenge cup Final 2005 and last seasons playoff quarter finals! and It would be more advantageous to have the Devils home leg as the second leg in my view!!

The giants aren't priority in the Odyssey so we just take what's free! Concerts and that get priority and we have to put our fixtures around that, and as was said our home games are usually on a saturday! So it's not us "pulling tricks" I reckon you have advantage if you get the 2nd leg as your home fixture!

Finny

I know at least one player was very unhappy that once again this season we had to play away in Belfast on the Saturday and then home on the sunday. Twice the travelling that Belfast had to do - it's got to take its toll.

Don't believe me?

Since the start of the EIHL, when we have played Belfast at home without a trip there the day before we have won just over half the games. ~ 50%

When we play them at home after a Belfast away our win percentage is a big 0%.

chris592

How many times do the Devils have to go to Belfast a season, 5 maybe 6 times?? Yet all the Giants away games we have to travel oversea, we are the team with the most traveling to do over the course of a season.

Simple fact is the Giants home games are on a Saturday night, its not a conspiracy against the Devils.

Im shocked that a 45 min plane journey effects your team so much tbh.

I agree with Finny, and his stats don't lie. I've often noticed on the return matches that the team always looks very tired... because we've always had to do twice the travelling... I think it's quite unfair that WE always seem to have this disadvantage!

I can only recall one time we won on the return leg in cardiff, which was in overtime...

Chris

Administrator
How many times do the Devils have to go to Belfast a season, 5 maybe 6 times?? Yet all the Giants away games we have to travel oversea, we are the team with the most traveling to do over the course of a season.

Simple fact is the Giants home games are on a Saturday night, its not a conspiracy against the Devils.

Im shocked that a 45 min plane journey effects your team so much tbh.
I assume you've never had to fly anywhere before then?

What about the journey to the airport, what about turning up early, what about checking in?

The same for the journey on the way home...

Its not just the flight, there's the trip to the airport, and it would seem we have flown from the midlands before now.

Perhaps not an excuse, but you should at least bear it in mind.

Chris.

chris592

I have flown lots of places around the UK, with a short domestic trip your hardly waiting around the airport for hours, especially with the ability to use online check-in. Anyway even a short wait in a airport lounge with cafe's and food outlets is hardly tiring.

All I’m saying is I’m surprised a plane trip to Belfast wrecks your players that much, considering you probably have longer bus journeys to other rinks/arena's.

And considering Saturday night is the usual time for a Giants home game, what other night would you suggest?

chris592

scottydoesntknow said:
I agree with Finny, and his stats don't lie. I've often noticed on the return matches that the team always looks very tired... because we've always had to do twice the travelling... I think it's quite unfair that WE always seem to have this disadvantage!

I can only recall one time we won on the return leg in cardiff, which was in overtime...
The Giants do that for every away game in the league. so do WE always have the disadvantage??

Im sorry guys, just dont see where your coming from. I cant see you being hard done by in anyway here. And playing our home games on a saturday night isnt a trick or some way to get one over on the Devils, it just so happens to be hockey night in Belfast.

TheStub

It is more the fact that the Devils have to travel to Belfast then both teams have to travel back.

So, yes - they are equally penalised by the travel back, but the Devils (or whatever team are facing them) have to make the complete round trip.

Mind you, you could make the same excuse whatever team we play after playing Belfast on the Saturday. The bigger problem will be the time of the travel - which wont fit in with what the team would hope to get.

Perhaps Devils should look at chartering their own flight from Cardiff. May give a bit of an advantage...anyone own a plane?

Finny

chris592 said:
I have flown lots of places around the UK, with a short domestic trip your hardly waiting around the airport for hours, especially with the ability to use online check-in. Anyway even a short wait in a airport lounge with cafe's and food outlets is hardly tiring.
And I guess you then play two games of bone-crunching hockey?

And considering Saturday night is the usual time for a Giants home game, what other night would you suggest?
We'll play at home Friday night then. Sorted.

TheStub

It does raise the age old question of the Arena teams and the availability of ice.

Part of me understands why they want to fit it in with the prestige venue, and probably get a bigger gate - but the other part of me thinks "sod them, it isn't our fault they have naff all ice availability".

I like Finny's idea, play in Belfast on the Friday, Cardiff on the Sunday. Everyone is happy. I'm sure one of their standby rinks will be free.

chris592 said:
The Giants do that for every away game in the league. so do WE always have the disadvantage??

Im sorry guys, just dont see where your coming from. I cant see you being hard done by in anyway here. And playing our home games on a saturday night isnt a trick or some way to get one over on the Devils, it just so happens to be hockey night in Belfast.
That's just stupid!
Can you not see how the devils have to have two flights (amongst other things) while the giants only have one?
It doesnt matter to the giants because the trip back wouldn't make a difference as the players would have a week before playing again, whereas Cardiff have to travel before both games!

Travelling is one of those things that makes some people feel a bit exhausted... especially flying

It would be okay if we did this an equal amount of times where we went up to Belfast on a sat, then they came here on a sat etc.
But it's NOT... Belfast do this all the time, which I think, is unfair

Chris

Administrator
I like Finny's idea, play in Belfast on the Friday, Cardiff on the Sunday. Everyone is happy. I'm sure one of their standby rinks will be free.
I think Finnys idea was to play in Cardiff on Friday, Belfast on Saturday :)

Chris.