Challenge Cup Semi Final

Sliput

chris592 said:
How many times do the Devils have to go to Belfast a season, 5 maybe 6 times?? Yet all the Giants away games we have to travel oversea, we are the team with the most traveling to do over the course of a season.

Simple fact is the Giants home games are on a Saturday night, its not a conspiracy against the Devils.

Im shocked that a 45 min plane journey effects your team so much tbh.
But also factor in that some flights are 7am......and usually at the airport 1 hr before and sometimes , due to flight times the Devils fly from Birmingham (2 1/4 hr drive) the players will sometimes be up at 3.30am. Then getting to Belfast at 8am and having to hang around for 8 to 9 hrs....it all adds up.

of course the couple of hours travel between cardiff and belfast is much much much worse than the hours upon hours of coach travelling they will have done at some point during their minor league NA careers.

They are meant to be professional athletes, its my understanding that a certain level of personal fitness is required?

Look at it this way, Belfast have to play every game away on the mainland and will probably fly to those games, you then have to look at the League standings every season to see that they are always there or thereabouts so in my view this a load of old tosh, Belfast fly to every game- we do not lets just deal with it and move on and find some other excuse if we lose..... jeeezzzzz!!!!!

Sliput

Jacko said:
of course the couple of hours travel between cardiff and belfast is much much much worse than the hours upon hours of coach travelling they will have done at some point during their minor league NA careers.

They are meant to be professional athletes, its my understanding that a certain level of personal fitness is required?
Feel better ? :lol:

Sliput

Eugene-Tackleberry said:
Look at it this way, Belfast have to play every game away on the mainland and will probably fly to those games, you then have to look at the League standings every season to see that they are always there or thereabouts so in my view this a load of old tosh, Belfast fly to every game- we do not lets just deal with it and move on and find some other excuse if we lose..... jeeezzzzz!!!!!
Where have i used it as an excuse ??...we may even win next week :D !!

Just a sidenote...Giants flights over here are normally after 9.30am. As anyone knows getting up at 3.30am and getting up at 7am is different,regardless of whether your a sportsperson or not.

Sliput said:
Eugene-Tackleberry said:
Where have i used it as an excuse ??...we may even win next week :D !!

Just a sidenote...Giants flights over here are normally after 9.30am. As anyone knows getting up at 3.30am and getting up at 7am is different,regardless of whether your a sportsperson or not.
When did i mention about getting up early? lol... :lol:

Wannabe2 said:
Why dont we fly out on a Friday, have a lie in on Saturday morning, and fly back with the Giants team??????????????
what like you did last month?

there are no flights between cardiff and belfast on a saturday, and your hotel in belfast is free/paid for by giants/sponsored.

Finny

Jacko said:
Wannabe2 said:
Why dont we fly out on a Friday, have a lie in on Saturday morning, and fly back with the Giants team??????????????

there are no flights between cardiff and belfast on a saturday, and your hotel in belfast is free/paid for by giants/sponsored.
Since when??????

Sliput

Jacko said:
Wannabe2 said:

I think you will find it is the officials that have their hotel paid for....and its the league that pay not the Giants. The Giants pay their matchnight fee....which every home team pays for !!

If you had read my previous post you will see that i mentioned that the Devils sometimes fly from Birmingham because of flight availability.

Wannabe...i think it would come down to cost...as there are no flights on the Saturday night , unless the Giants changed the face-off to 12pm ish. That is why the players stay over on the Saturday.

Finny said:
Jacko said:
Wannabe2 said:

Since when??????
since the panthers said they werent paying to come to belfast 3 times a season a couple years back. We then secured sponsorship with premier inn and all teams got their accomodation, either free or a HUGE reduction. Now the giants are sponsored by a hotel which a former work collegue of mine is the GM of which is closer to the O and the same terms apply. It was a compromise kinda thing, we cant pay your travel but while your here enjoy our shinny hotel.

I hardly think a hotel is going to let teams stay free just because you have secured sponsorship. They may have secured a discount but its hardly coming out of Giants coffers is it and besides which it is good business for the hotel.

You can make savings anywhere these days and there are plenty of Corporate rates around

chris592

cardiffdevil said:
I hardly think a hotel is going to let teams stay free just because you have secured sponsorship. They may have secured a discount but its hardly coming out of Giants coffers is it and besides which it is good business for the hotel.

You can make savings anywhere these days and there are plenty of Corporate rates around
I'm not privy to the terms and conditions to this sponsorship. But I imagine that the Giants offer the Hotel sponsorship at the arena and in the match night programmes, and in return the hotel offers free or highly subsidised rates.

Not a bad deal, should help with teams traveling costs.

And to say it aint coming out of the Giants coffers, fair enough, but its a nice deal, and it makes the travel to Belfast that much cheaper.

Of course it is a good deal and its great that it has been offered especially in todays climate.

I was a bit confused with the comment as it made it sound like the Giants were 'paying' for everyone else.

Again the discounts make good sense all around and the hotels probably do very nicely out of it especially over the quieter winter months.

Indirectly it does come out of the Giants coffers though. The sponsorship provided by the hotel is paid for in rooms/discounts. If it wasn't for that the Giants would be able to get money for that sponsorship.

But then maybe another company would fill the sponsorship left by the hotel!

Either way it's a good deal for us,anything that saves the club money has to be good!

Finny said:
When we play them at home after a Belfast away our win percentage is a big 0%.

scottydoesntknow said:
I agree with Finny, and his stats don't lie.
I can only recall one time we won on the return leg in cardiff, which was in overtime...
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Finny, It must be wonderful to be so wholeheartedly supported...even by people who find you 100% wrong !!

rolf

jeeeeezuss, i cannot believe what a load of old tosh i have just read. i went on here to see what dates we had for this series of games. instead i have just read a pile of old shite written by folk who should know better. talk about narrow-minded mealy mouthed whingeing, fark me we couldn't have embarrassed this proud club more if we all wore our dirty underwear on the outside.

whoever progresses to the final is likely down to being the better team, if it's us it'll be because we are the bestest (and welsh probably) and if it's belfast it'll be because they broke the wage-cap and our lads got tanked up twice in the duty free, whereas theirs only got one shot at it.

shame.

I keep clicking on this thread expecting someone to be saying what the dates are - I think I'll just wait for it to appear on the Elite / Belfast / Devils website - or another thread to start :D

I'm putting my money on the Giants having the info on their site first