Challenge Cup Semi Final

Finny

schulersagoodun said:
Finny, It must be wonderful to be so wholeheartedly supported...even by people who find you 100% wrong !!
But I'm not wrong.

We played the first leg in Belfast on the Saturday night, and we won it. We then played the 2nd leg at home the following day - and lost it.

The fact that the aggregate scores were then tied doesn't change the fact we lost the second game.

Gazza272

ledgend777 said:
I keep clicking on this thread expecting someone to be saying what the dates are - I think I'll just wait for it to appear on the Elite / Belfast / Devils website - or another thread to start :D

I'm putting my money on the Giants having the info on their site first

I'ed also imagine the league will wait for the Steelers to be confirmed as the other team going thorough before anything is officially released.

Finny you are an ar5e!

Its has nothing to do with the flights to and from belfast they will have travelled far further when they played junior!

It has more to do with the devils players staying in belfast after the game getting ridiculously drunk and running havoc around their hotel until the early hours of the morning!

There's no conspiracy at belfast and as has been said they also have to fly to all of the places that they play away so if they do ever play on a sunday at home theyve made the same round trip as anyone playing there on a staurday then home on a sunday.

For me playing second at home is the best in a 2leg cup tournament as you know exactly what you need and have home advantage to get it, if they really want to make the most of that advantage they will have one or two beers in the bar with the fans then get back to the hotel to sleep to be well prepared for the next days game!

Gazza272

maccab5 said:
Finny you are an ar5e!

Its has nothing to do with the flights to and from belfast they will have travelled far further when they played junior!

It has more to do with the devils players staying in belfast after the game getting ridiculously drunk and running havoc around their hotel until the early hours of the morning!

There's no conspiracy at belfast and as has been said they also have to fly to all of the places that they play away so if they do ever play on a sunday at home theyve made the same round trip as anyone playing there on a staurday then home on a sunday.

For me playing second at home is the best in a 2leg cup tournament as you know exactly what you need and have home advantage to get it, if they really want to make the most of that advantage they will have one or two beers in the bar with the fans then get back to the hotel to sleep to be well prepared for the next days game!

Firstly nice opening.

Secondly, i do think there is something in the travelling twice conundrum, and funnily enough so does our coach.

I'm sure we all remember the first year in the tent where we were paired with Manchester in the Playoff quarter final and due to us finishing third we got the choice of being home or away first. What did we choose? Home first! the reason? G wanted to make Manchester Travel twice and that was only on a few hours bus ride.

So from the guy who knows how the team should prepare etc I think that there is something in the theory.

Firstly thanks

Secondly do you not think the other point i made is valid? And surely a far more valid point than spending an hour and thirty minutes on a plane?

Gazza272

maccab5 said:
Firstly thanks

Secondly do you not think the other point i made is valid? And surely a far more valid point than spending an hour and thirty minutes on a plane?

Depends, i've only been to Belfast a few times the first time was a thursday where the players stayed in the bar for a lot of the night, the second time it was a saturday and G sent the players back to the hotel at a reasonable time. But then i was in no way privvy to what G told the team what to drink, when to be in etc.

So given that i cannot commnet fully on the drinking issue (but as proffessional athletes and adults i would never put myself in a position to preach to them how they spend their downtime, not that i am saying thats what your doing) But purely on the fatigue travelling issue, if G has a problem with it as in the past i think its fair to say he does a little bit, then i think it is something which should/can be discussed in a civil manner on here.

Finny

maccab5 said:
Finny you are an ar5e!

And you are a chubby Elbow.

You are quite right that Belfast have to fly all over the place when they fly away. It's quite interesting that you mention the fact that when they play on a Sunday they have to fly twice too.
I assume you checked the number of Sunday game they play at homes to prove this point....no you didn't?
Well at the moment the number of confirmed home games on a Sunday is................. 1. Just the one - and it was a Challenge Cup game. They do have two possible league games on a sunday but these are both still TBC.

But then that must be because they are an arena team. Yet neither Newcastle, Nottingham or Sheffield have such lobsided home fixtures either. Strange.

Oh I know - it's because people like going to shows in the Odyssey on a Sunday night, what with work the next morning that makes sense. Hmmm - no. Very few shows on a Sunday night.

Hmmm.... I must be running of out excuses.... explanations here. Oh I know, Belfast can't play home games on a Sunday because that is when they play their away games.
Hang on - Belfast play 9 away games on a Saturday without then flying back for a home game on a Sunday.

So basically - out of the 10 away games scheduled on a Saturday, they only have to fly back for another game once. Hmmmmm. I wonder why!?!?!?!

Finny

maccab5 said:
Firstly thanks

But it's not just an hour and thirty minutes on a plane.

For the recent trip to Edinburgh I think they left the rink at 9am. I bet most of the players slept for quite a bit, stretched out over two seats. They then stop when they want to for a bit of food, stretch the legs, back on the bus, another nap - get to the rink.

But you can't do that with flights because you have to follow their times. There are no flights to Belfast from Cardiff, and the only flights from Bristol that are suitable are at 09:10. I assume you have to be in the airport 1-2 hours before take-off yeh? So that would be meaning at the airport around 7.30am - and so they would have to leave the rink around 5.30 - 6.00am?

Then of course there is all the fussing around in the airport, moving from section to section. When you finally get to Belfast you then have to go to your hotel and check-in - although check in isn't usually til 2pm so you have to hang around a bit.

Coming back we then have to catch the 10:45am flight back to Bristol. Which again means being in the airport around 9.30am, so you have to be up and out of bed for the second day in a row at a daft time. Once again your normal body clock and eating habits are messed up.

I think in N America they often fly across the country, but they then play several games in that area. They aren't expected to then fly back first thing the next morning and play another game back at home.

If they are up drinking all night then that is wrong - however the last time that was suggested it was then posted that the person saying such was wrong.

Rempel16

Well i have always been under the impression that Belfast tend to not play Sunday home games due to religious factors and no other reason

rolf said:
jeeeeezuss, i cannot believe what a load of old tosh i have just read. i went on here to see what dates we had for this series of games. instead i have just read a pile of old shite written by folk who should know better. talk about narrow-minded mealy mouthed whingeing, fark me we couldn't have embarrassed this proud club more if we all wore our dirty underwear on the outside.

whoever progresses to the final is likely down to being the better team, if it's us it'll be because we are the bestest (and welsh probably) and if it's belfast it'll be because they broke the wage-cap and our lads got tanked up twice in the duty free, whereas theirs only got one shot at it.

shame.
I cant even work out what the last bit means

osh

Finny - You really are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Let common sense dictate, We travel over there they travel over here. We seem to be making excuses before the puck has even dropped. I can't accept that flying, including waiting around etc is going to be harder than a road trip to Edinburgh or Newcastle eevn if we have to fly from Bristol.

Kipper

The last time the Devils played in Belfast, they had to leave their hotel at 5am to get to the airport for a flight to Stansted and then a coach journey home. Don't know what time they got back to Cardiff but it would probably not have been before noon and then to the rinkl for 4-4.30 for a 6pm faceoff.

Not ideal preparation.

osh said:
Finny - You really are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Let common sense dictate, We travel over there they travel over here. We seem to be making excuses before the puck has even dropped. I can't accept that flying, including waiting around etc is going to be harder than a road trip to Edinburgh or Newcastle eevn if we have to fly from Bristol.
(Not aimed at you osh)
What people dont seem to realise though is that when going to Newcastle/Edinburgh the players leave here at a reasonable time and come home the same night.

With playing at Belfast...yes they may fly over here on the Sunday but they were not up at 3am on the Saturday morning to fly over . All this ''oh they did worse when they were juniors'' and ''they are meant to be sportsman'' is just rubbish. Everyone knows that one of the key factors of keeping fit and healthy and being able to compete is SLEEP. I studied this at college many years ago and your body clock can play a big part.

ANYWAY,i dont use excuses as i know we are going to win :D :D

Kipper said:
The last time the Devils played in Belfast, they had to leave their hotel at 5am to get to the airport for a flight to Stansted and then a coach journey home. Don't know what time they got back to Cardiff but it would probably not have been before noon and then to the rinkl for 4-4.30 for a 6pm faceoff.

Not ideal preparation.
last time you played in belfast some of your players hadnt even found the hotel by 5am :lol:

this is verging on the insane now. might as well just call you cardiff pheonix

rolf

NMASE

it's simples really. if we travel to belfast and then back for a "belfast saturday night hockey night", then we make two visits to the airport whereas they only make only the one trip pre semi-final match up. duh. do you have an L and R on yer shoes?

Chris

Administrator
What the hell!?

Even i'm confused now by how this has gone off topic, perhaps it's an idea to go back to the original point of this thread?

Chris.

Kipper

Jacko said:
Kipper said:

Not ideal preparation.
last time you played in belfast some of your players hadnt even found the hotel by 5am :lol:

this is verging on the insane now. might as well just call you cardiff pheonix
Only going by what the coach driver who had to drive to Stansted to collect them told me.
Glad you were looking after our players anyway.Don't think any of them missed their flight :roll: