Coaching staff Depart

I’m sad it didn’t work out because Dupont seems like a top bloke as a person.

Unfortunately it didn’t work, and never looked like it would. Perhaps the inexperience told over the season, whereas last year’s playoffs were short enough to not have to worry about it.

Wish him and his family (and Horn) well.

The next coach needs to have experience and the right approach to the game. There are also some tough decisions to make about players, some of whom have been with the club for a while.

moggy#9

I’m sad it didn’t work out because Dupont seems like a top bloke as a person.

Unfortunately it didn’t work, and never looked like it would. Perhaps the inexperience told over the season, whereas last year’s playoffs were short enough to not have to worry about it.

Wish him and his family (and Horn) well.

The next coach needs to have experience and the right approach to the game. There are also some tough decisions to make about players, some of whom have been with the club for a while.
Last year's playoffs were won with skalde's players and systems.

Last year's playoffs were won with skalde's players and systems.
With Skalde’s players, but they didn’t play the same hockey at all.

We even made it to a final this year that we shouldn’t have really made.

He’s clearly got something about him, but a season is very different from being be able to get good players up for individual games.

Mr Kelman is too shrewd a business to not have DuPont and Horn’s replacement already lined up, contract signed sealed and about to be delivere.

Running with a Players favourite as rookie coach is/was a brave yet unsuccessful decision/mistake. Mistakes are fine as long as one learns from the mistakes we all make.

Rumours are that the replacement coach has plenty of experience in this and other leagues, so I suspect a number of Devils fans will be happy. The early off season announcement that the coaching staff is being replaced may even change the minds of some ST holders who were previously of a mind not to renew their ST next season. Fingers crossed the new coach will get announced formally in the next few days.

moggy#9

With Skalde’s players, but they didn’t play the same hockey at all.

We even made it to a final this year that we shouldn’t have really made.

He’s clearly got something about him, but a season is very different from being be able to get good players up for individual games.
Maybe my memory is fading, but I certainly remember the special teams being the same.

Swarley

As much as I backed Brodie at the start of the season and wanted him to succeed he got caught out early and was well outta his depth, I do think had he been assistant coach and a head coach had of been brought in to teach and guide him he might of done better.

Horn I'm sorry to say just stole a wage all season long.

Mooney#16

Been lucky enough to have a few chats with Brodie over last two years one of which was this morning. He’s gutted it hasn’t worked out.

I’ve bitten my tongue on here but quite a few on here have posted some pretty appalling comments in the most entitled of fashions not knowing any facts. Could quite happily have done unedited conversations with a few on here but it was strangely satisfying to see people embarrass themselves and show the calibre of who they are.

As a for instance prior to the Continental Cup final game Brodie stayed up until the early hours pre scouting and cutting only for the IT system to crap out on him and it all get lost. To see fans then referring to Brodie as Dupointless was amazingly harsh against that back drop.

It’s a result based business so I’m not going to sit here and say Brodie leaving is right or wrong and it’s Todd’s opinion that counts. But he really did get it and def wanted to succeed for the club.

august04 2.0

I’m just pleased the decision was made quickly. He might have been the nicest bloke in the world to chat with, but that doesn’t make you a good coach. It’s the right decision, no doubt about it. DuPont and Horn were out of their depth and presided over a gradual decline in the quality of play that we saw from the team, resulting ultimately in a season of disappointing failure. Interesting to see who their replacements are, an absolutely critical decision now for the Devils immediate future. Kelman needs to get the next one right.

jenks33

The correct decision but I would still put money on it that only a couple of players on this seasons roster were Duponts players. The rest were Todd and Franny’s players so I feel sorry for him in that regard.

On the other hand when you’ve got players like Martin, Crawford, Cox, Sanford to work with your powerplay just can’t be as bad as it was. Yes we missed a net front presence but there was still enough talent available to have a decent powerplay. Even our penalty kill was pretty poor. Had Dupont/Horn managed to sort the special teams out they may have kept their jobs.

Jonesy83

I’m genuinely surprised, I thought they’d back him for one more season.

Good luck to him, sadly he was unsuccessful as a player & coach for the devils (yes I know he technically won a play offs championship).
I hope he and his family can take fond memories of their time in Cardiff with them onto their next journey in pro hockey.

Imo an assistant coaching role at a decent size club in a different country will be in DuPonts best interests, which I’m sure he’ll easily secure, with glowing references from TK and the Devils organisation.

Glad it’s been announced quickly, hopefully the new coach will been announced shortly and then the player signings will come think and fast.

lloyd_jeff

Good luck to both in whatever path they take, I hope this hasn’t destroyed any confidence for their future.
It’s a results business that doesn’t cater to poor performance, unfortunately you can sack a coach but not the person who was responsible for the poor recruitment, Dupont should never have been given the role.
Hopefully now going forward we get the staff the club deserves and players who’ll turn up to carry out their jobs.

Mooney#16

I’m just pleased the decision was made quickly. He might have been the nicest bloke in the world to chat with, but that doesn’t make you a good coach. It’s the right decision, no doubt about it. DuPont and Horn were out of their depth and presided over a gradual decline in the quality of play that we saw from the team, resulting ultimately in a season of disappointing failure. Interesting to see who their replacements are, an absolutely critical decision now for the Devils immediate future. Kelman needs to get the next one right.
I’ve no issue people having an opinion and voicing it if they can do so in an informed and respectful way. I’ve zero issue with people agreeing with the coaching change or voicing what they think did or didn’t work tactically. It’s pro sports. If you are paid by fans they’ll have an opinion on how you are doing. It’s an exposed position as coach and the guys are fully aware of that. I don’t think Brodie wants anyone’s sympathy but despite results maybe a thank you for his efforts. Contending for the Conti Cup, League and Play offs still wasn’t a bad stab for his first year. Devils demand success quicker than perhaps he can provide but it wasn’t a lack of effort.

However a couple on here and I stress minority have no self control and think they can post with impunity remarks that cross the boundary of decent critique and become baseless personal insults. Those people a terrible people and deserve to take nothing from the Devils in the form success.

Diablo3

Mr Kelman is too shrewd a business to not have DuPont and Horn’s replacement already lined up, contract signed sealed and about to be delivere.

Running with a Players favourite as rookie coach is/was a brave yet unsuccessful decision/mistake. Mistakes are fine as long as one learns from the mistakes we all make.

Rumours are that the replacement coach has plenty of experience in this and other leagues, so I suspect a number of Devils fans will be happy. The early off season announcement that the coaching staff is being replaced may even change the minds of some ST holders who were previously of a mind not to renew their ST next season. Fingers crossed the new coach will get announced formally in the next few days.
I'll take a stab at Pete Russell as head coach and Dixon as assistant. Can't see Thomo or Nielson at the IAW

lloyd_jeff

It’s time to move on, for fans and Dupont. Dupont was never going to run the team to success first yr, no coach will, it’s a tough gig and not for the faint of heart or weak minded. I said it with Skalde, l certainly repeated it for Dupont and I’ll say it again for those who missed it, choose to ignore it, the new coach coming to Cardiff isn’t going to win trophies first yr, simple as that.