Devils medalions

Finny

I could have sworn I saw an interview from a couple of weeks back (or maybe read it on here) that explained the medallion thing. How everyone in the NHL is doing it and we thought we would do it too?
Did I completely imagine that?
Was it the owners at a Q&A thing?

E.D.S.

Yeah I remember that too. May be it was an on line message but definitely some confirmation that they saw it in the NHL.

It's a bit of harmless fun. Getting GLC at the rink proved that. Our Mechandise isn't bad at all. One tacky medallion that divides opinion doesn't detract from some good merchandise that's available.

august04 2.0

I can’t understand all the fuss that was made over these medallions. It's all much needed revenue for the club. Would I buy one? Absolutely not at my age (!) but who cares really? Obviously the kids love them as you can see from the number of people wearing them, so all good and a bit of fun too. Still can’t stand the new logo though but I’m hoping it might grow on me in time, because it won’t be changing anytime soon!

Isn't Ceiberman referring to the brand overhaul and the way that was handled as opposed to the funny medallion things?
A little of both tbh.

Both should have been broadly positive things and the problems with both seem to be down to the messaging (for the most part). That's with the benefit of hindsight of course and isn't meant as an act of self-flagellation. More as a sober, post launch, look at what went well and what didn't. The kind that most businesses do.

MA18 you might have misunderstood my post...no head wobble required. I'm not the target market for the chains. I was just thinking Todd's explanation of the rationale appears to have successfully taken most of the remaining heat out of the situation and, with hindsight, that could have happened sooner and the storm in a tea cup would never have been a thing. It wouldn't have to be the GM (who of course should have better things to do) but you'd assume somebody is responsible for marketing merch. Again no self-flagellation required but it seems clear that for whatever reason the messaging around the chains hasn't cut through.

I can’t understand all the fuss that was made over these medallions. It's all much needed revenue for the club. Would I buy one? Absolutely not at my age (!) but who cares really? Obviously the kids love them as you can see from the number of people wearing them, so all good and a bit of fun too. Still can’t stand the new logo though but I’m hoping it might grow on me in time, because it won’t be changing anytime soon!
Based on Todd's comments on the podcast it seems it's not going to be much of a revenue generator (if at all). Based on what he said, the markup is quite small compared with retail fashion. And when you factor in those given away (which I think he also mentioned) then break even would be a success.

At the end of the day ts a bit of fun, a micky take, it certainly makes me smile when I see people wearing them, if you want one get one if you don,t Don't!!!! Don't knock a companyfor trying something thats daft,, whoever thought that selling a vodka in a gimmicky gold bottle would make someone so much money.

MA18

A little of both tbh.

Both should have been broadly positive things and the problems with both seem to be down to the messaging (for the most part). That's with the benefit of hindsight of course and isn't meant as an act of self-flagellation. More as a sober, post launch, look at what went well and what didn't. The kind that most businesses do.

MA18 you might have misunderstood my post...no head wobble required. I'm not the target market for the chains. I was just thinking Todd's explanation of the rationale appears to have successfully taken most of the remaining heat out of the situation and, with hindsight, that could have happened sooner and the storm in a tea cup would never have been a thing. It wouldn't have to be the GM (who of course should have better things to do) but you'd assume somebody is responsible for marketing merch. Again no self-flagellation required but it seems clear that for whatever reason the messaging around the chains hasn't cut through.
I think your handful of post are great examples of why Todd has binned off Twitter and doesn’t interact on this forum.

Wannabe2

Yes please do,we have two big games this weekend, today away to Panthers, tomorrow home to Giants this is what we should be focusing on, and looking forward to, let’s forget the tripe. We have the team to take 4 points if we play to our best, so let’s go Devils it’s about on ice now.

Yes please do,we have two big games this weekend, today away to Panthers, tomorrow home to Giants this is what we should be focusing on, and looking forward to, let’s forget the tripe. We have the team to take 4 points if we play to our best, so let’s go Devils it’s about on ice now.
Amen to that

Gaz G

I could have sworn I saw an interview from a couple of weeks back (or maybe read it on here) that explained the medallion thing. How everyone in the NHL is doing it and we thought we would do it too?
Did I completely imagine that?
Was it the owners at a Q&A thing?
I went to watch the Bruins in April and they were everywhere. I remember thinking how hideous they were at the time but its a laugh.

rocketbob

I went to watch the Bruins in April and they were everywhere. I remember thinking how hideous they were at the time but its a laugh.
They had them at the MLB (baseball) game that I was watching a couple of days ago. They seem to be going across US sports at the moment. But as said, lets focus on more important things.

I get where you're coming from and I totally agree that it should in no way be a priority. But tbf, he has literally just provided his rationale on that podcast. It seems all that's being suggested is if he had done the thing that he later did just a little bit earlier it could have nipped things in the bud.
I can't see where it is mentioned in this thread, which podcast was Todd on recently where he discussed the medalions?