Devils v Capitals - 07/02 - 6:00pm - Chat/Updates

Diafol

Worst game I've seen all season. Yes, Hicks was responsible for a lot of that, but it doesn't disguise the fact that we have some great players who, it seems, just can't be bothered to turn it on when it matters.

Our discipline has been shocking all season long. How many times have we complained on here about conceding vital goals while a man down ?

Yet it seems the lessons still aren't learned - if we, as mere spectators, can see it, why can't the players, or perhaps more importantly, the coaching staff ?

I'm not usually one for knee-jerk reactions, the answer IMO is not calling for G's head at this moment, but he and a few of the players certainly need to take a long, hard look at themselves and their performances.

Granted Hicks called evreything tonight against the devils and proved yet again that he is a complete tool, but stop gobbing off fer goodness sake. 3 x 10 min misconducts isnt acceptable.

the players body language and facial expressions are clear for all to see...something isnt right. If i was the coach i would have screaming blue murder at them at the end of the game...but i dint see that at the end of the game when i popped into the dressing room. Perhaps they'll all get wasted now at the superbowl party and have a good fight between themselves! I await the press release on Monday for the sackings![/quote]

Totally agree,but dont hold your breathe!!!

With the signing deadline now passed I think sacking players would be counter-productive. But benching a few is definately called for!

We're on the fifth page now and not one mention, I think, for Caps netminder. I thought he was outstanding tonight and a few of his saves were top drawer. We actually had a decent screen on pp tonight, but even tht didn't faze him, a more than worthy mom.

Diafol

bluedevil said:
We're on the fifth page now and not one mention, I think, for Caps netminder. I thought he was outstanding tonight and a few of his saves were top drawer. We actually had a decent screen on pp tonight, but even tht didn't faze him, a more than worthy mom.
I think most people are so angry that it probably hasn't occurred to them to mention it, me included !
You're right though, he had a fantastic game tonight.

I'm a huge fan of Stevie Lyle, but I think that fact that he is MOM so often speaks volumes about the rest of the team.

Shame Stoney isn't here to bolster the team spirit that seems to be sadly lacking.

TheDevilTorn said:
Something has to give !! On the penalty kill after 1m 38 seconds, the under 14's have more discipline than that! Pathetic. Aye but Gazza we should not be losing at home to the Caps, full stop. We beat them AWAY for christ sake !!
You might right the U14's won 4-2 away at Guildford today top of the league

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #47
Some of the things mentioned on tonights thread have been mentioned several times before, specifically...

We have 2 bench coaches but it seems a regular occurrence that we either have too many men on the ice, or too few. How does that even happen with 2 people running the bench?

On paper we have a highly skilled team, at some/most home games we've seen how well they can play. For whatever reason, our away form is bobbins and it seems to have made its way into our home form now.

Something needs to change for next season. It's too late for any radical changes now unfortunately though.

Lets just hope we don't make too big an arse of ourselves in the CC final :?

Chris :|

Diafol

BBW said:
I'm a huge fan of Stevie Lyle, but I think that fact that he is MOM so often speaks volumes about the rest of the team.

Shame Stoney isn't here to bolster the team spirit that seems to be sadly lacking.
I was talking to Stoney this evening, he is hoping to be back playing within the next couple of weeks.

You're right Lyle was almost mom by default tonighy, he had a good game but nothing amazing. There was just no one who iced regularly good enough!

Don't know how Stone would help, he always seems to be one of the quieter players on the ice.

can i please just check that wasnt an away game because i thought we were supposed to be good at home.

My god what a shocker. We lacked the basics. No passion. Powerplay once again is crap. No one really shone tonight apart from stevie keeping us in the game.

Hicks was a tool yes but it does not cover the fact that we were absoultly rubbish. I guess they just wanted to get it over fast so they can go watch the superbowl.

Where has the pre christmas devils team gone?????? have they been replaced without us even knowing. the only thing worth cheering about tonight was hicks falling on his ass.

Its not time to call for heads but they need to sit down and sort them selves out or we can kiss good bye to anything this year.. I looked at the bench a few times tonight and saw franny talking to players and showing some emotion but everytime i looked adams was just stood there..... Maybe franny should be head coach as they seem to be listening to him.

Wow that was shocking.

Devils overall were the better team I feel like every week i'm repeating myself... but here goes anyway.

Hicks missed lots on both. However seemed to not want to listen to any of the players - just give them 10. Latulippe was called 2 min's high sticks which he disagreed with, said some choice words and right away gave him 10. Voth then stupidly at the end of the period went over to Hiicks and seemed to say one word(not sure what) but was given 10 - Again a captain should lead by example and getting 10 mins wasn't one of his best moves, however in Voth's defence, he couldn't touch a player without being called. E.G slashing on the goalie which was not existant. He crashed the net. Finnerty's 10 was the worst and the icing on the cake. Caps get called for an interference call in their defensive zone, off goes Lyle, puck is passed to Richardson with basically a full net to shoot on, Hicks blows up saying a caps player touches it. Richardson goes mad, Finnerty goes mad and gets 10.
The worst call of the night had to be the last one. Finnerty skating into the zone
passed the red line and dumps high, it goes over plexi and with 2 mins and something seconds left Hicks calls 2 mins delay of game which IMO killed the game which devils were on to of.

Hicks gave 10's tonight like he just wanted to get to the pub. BUT Devils need to learn to keep their mouth shut, when they'd already seen Latulippe get a 10 so quickly, Voth being an idiot had to go and say something.

Anyway onto the game - Caps play slightly boring, (road game plan)? one man always on the blue line, so effectively 4 on 4 hockey...... but if it gets you 2 points.......The goalie had the mixture of brilliant skill and good luck on his side, one puck he nearly headbutted into his own net but just went wide. Very good goalie and IMO deserved MOM. Fussey and Lambert were very good.

For the devils, Michel played well, Lyle made some key stops, like when Hartwick passed to a caps player in the first which led to a breakaway, Finnerty was skating round the caps D and Jay was really good in the first.

I am honestly fed up win or lose with the ref's being centre of the game... but well done caps at least you showed passion, grit and determination.

Putting it bluntly, we are just not good enough end of!! like i said on another thread and heads must roll probably to late now but for next seaon there has to be big changes for us to progress.

but to get a delay of game he has to be in the defensive zone, the blue line.

Hicks is a complete tool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But from the sounds of it did not cost us the game because it looks like our star imports have taken febuary off this year.

At the end of the day the devils as a club are not professional enough, and from what Im hearing certain players are not happy and there are a few ( dont ask me to name names please) to be a contender we need the following or we will lose the players we need to be building around and not the guys just collecting the cheques and coasting

1.All Players who sign for the next season must train through the summer to ensure they are ready only players to do this were Phil Hill and Richie and G, matt towe was working in a bar in cyprus all summer long (is this anyway to prepare for a season of ice hockey)
2. A Captain needs to lead by example in relation to fitness and motivate his team on the ice not just in the bar
3. Travel arrangments need to be done in advance so the team isnt up at 4am the day of the game.
4. A coach who has balls and no favorites if a player isnt performing irrelevant of whether its the C or a 3rd liner they need to be dealt with
5. Stop signing players who "are due a breakout season" and do not deliver.

osh

Well, after last nights farce up North, I went to tonight's game thinking I would see a different Devils team to those imitating the name of Cardiff Devils the night before. What we saw was a very very poor game ( taking nothing away from Edinburgh who played to a plan, and their nettie had a great game it has to be said ) . Posters on this forum will know that I have never rated Gerad as a coach good enough for our club, but once he was confirmed for this season, I reluctantly gave him my backing. Lets face it, the gamble of appointing him has not worked out, but we have little choice other than to put up with him until the end of the season, simply because I don't think we'd pick up anyone decent to do the job at this stage. Hopefully we won't have to sack him at the end of the season, he should do the right thing and resign ! If he has any sense he will know he has hardly advanced the club any further up the ladder, we are a middle of the table, very average side. Yes, on a good night we can beat anyone in this league, we just don't appear to have a coach who is capable of any sort of consistency.

Cruel comments I know, but don't we deserve better than what's being served up at the moment ? Looking forward to seeing how on earth Finny can wrangle any sort of positives from this weekend !

Awful tonight.

My wife is away so I wasn't sure whether to go on my own but decided to in the end - really wish I hadn't bothered. Caps netminder was really good, but then I don't agree he had to pull out that many top draw saves (or maybe he just made it look easy). I've only skimmed through the other posts, but not sure if anyone's mentioned that leaving the 5-4 win against Vipers out of it, we've scored 2 goals in the last 3 games which were all against lower league opposition... and I'm guessing that's probably 2 goals out of 100+ shots in total. That is pretty dismal. Even including the 5-4 win v Vipers, the stats would still look very bad.

Getting a bench penalty for too many players that late in the game (and just after calling a time out) was ridiculous. The ref wasn't great - but then none of them are and both teams have to put up with it.

I agree with previous posts that only Miller, Michel and I'd probably include Latullipe as well the Brits really seemed to be giving 100%. But then they clearly aren't good enough forwards if they are giving 100% and still not scoring anything imo. Smith looks good now and again but I wouldn't be begging him to come back next season. Max is awesome in some games, but hardly noticable in others like most of tonight. Just not good enough

I was really looking forward to the CC final games, but after recent results - it could be embarrasing

Fubar

sniper13 said:
2. A Captain needs to lead by example in relation to fitness and motivate his team on the ice not just in the bar

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just had a look at the current league table... 17 points behind 1st place - that's terrible. OK, up until recent our home form has been amazing and we're in the CC final, but can we really say we've improved from last season? Yes, we're one place higher, but that's because Steelers have been rubbish this season. We finished 26 off top last season and definitely on course for that to happen again. I was really gutted I'm going to have to miss a couple of games due to other commitments before the end of the season... not quite so bothered now. I know people will say 'your not a real supporter' after those kind of comments, but all I want is everyone giving 100%. If we give 100% and lose - fair enough - but I don't think I'm on my own in being fed up with watching half-hearted performances.