Devils v Capitals - 07/02 - 6:00pm - Chat/Updates

Ger-Devils

Don cherry said:
Ger-Devils said:
To try and lighten the mood on here, anyone impressed with the pizza celebration? :lol:
Yeah best part of the night for me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My mate was on the screen, I was the one behind him who almost put him over the row infront! Haha when he checked lucyfur was comedy!

Finny

Devils started the game quite well, hitting hard and going at the Caps. However, they were put off their game by Hicks who didn't have a great game. Some of his calls were a bit dodgy, whilst some were just wrong.

He was also very inconsistent. Voth got a slashing call for going after the loose puck underneath the netminder. When a Caps player did the same thing he didn't get called.

Devils spent most of the first period on the penalty kill, and so never really got going. Caps PP wasn't great though, they looked more dangerous on the counter-attack.

Second period, Hicks started to let a lot more go. Caps finally opened the scoring, though he was fortunate the puck eventually bobbled to him, Fussey took his chance very well and roofed a wrist shot past Lyle.

Devils spent the rest of the game throwing everything at Rudkowsky, but just couldn't beat him.

As already said, Caps played an excellent road game. I think the gameplan to leave a forward up the ice when defending is great, and they counter-attack quickly and impressively.
Their defencemen also kept pushing the Devils out to the boards, and we were never going to beat him from there. Their PK outfit too never really gave the Devils any clear chances.

As I said before, Hicks didn't have a great game. However, certain players need to learn to keep their mouths shut. Mouth off to Hicks, Hanson and in the past Boniface and you will be sitting out 10 minutes.
For those who don't know - Finnerty will now also miss Saturdays game as he recieved a Game for Abuse of Official followed by a Match for Travesty of the Game.

The delay of game at the end looked the right call to me, as soon as Finnerty flicked it up I thought he was the wrong side of the red line. Though it was the linesmen who actually pointed it out to Hicks.

As has already been mentioned, Hicks was very quick to whistle up the play on a delayed penalty. I always thought the penalised team had to regain control of the puck before play was stopped. Hicks was stopping it when the puck went somewhere near a Caps player.

Ger-Devils said:
To try and lighten the mood on here, anyone impressed with the pizza celebration? :lol:
To try and lighten it a little more, I forgot that Sharp iced for the Caps (sorry that should read dressed in Caps colours) until I saw him leave the bench at the end of the 2nd period.

Diafol

phil PLT said:
Ger-Devils said:
To try and lighten it a little more, I forgot that Sharp iced for the Caps (sorry that should read dressed in Caps colours) until I saw him leave the bench at the end of the 2nd period.
I'd love his job, you get paid good money to sit on a bench twice a week.
Where do I sign up ?

:mrgreen:

I missed last couple of weeks games, But tuned into MNL

watched tonights game from block 5

that was a really really boring. worst I've ever seen

does anyone have anything positive from tonight? the 1st 4 or 5 minutes looked OK, but downhill from there. I think we owe it to ourselves to find something good out of this, as we certainly don't seem to be getting given to us!

I have just read through the whole thread looking for something good, and nothing, not even from Finny

Maybe it's time to replace Franny with Lucy Fur, at least she can count on five fingers :D

only a joke :roll:

Finny said:
As has already been mentioned, Hicks was very quick to whistle up the play on a delayed penalty. I always thought the penalised team had to regain control of the puck before play was stopped. Hicks was stopping it when the puck went somewhere near a Caps player.
Unless we play different rules to the NHL I'm pretty sure they should have control of the puck. He did it a few times too, and the fact that our players were going mad at him makes me think that the rule is correct and that Hicks doesn't have a clue what it is!

Not suprised Finnerty got a game and match or whatever it was at the end either. I think the whole rink heard his opinion of Hicks :lol: He did a nice check though when he came out of the box in the last minute.

Positive from tonight - the Caps beat the Pens and an Ovechkin hattrick! :D I was more entertained checking my phone for updates than watching our game! The games are getting worse and worse there. I almost fell asleep last week until Miller decided to show up! At least we're now consistant I suppose, can't win at home or away :(

I think this weekend's results may be the straw that broke the camel's back. I know it's un-realistic to replace the coach half way through a season but I think it's time for a change next season. Regarding Voth, I haven't rated him as a player for a long time (especially considering he is probably one of the highest paid players).

this is only a small league with very few officials and the roll around for officials at each venue is very quick

therefore the officials must be equally as bad for all, therefore the blame for this cannot be laid at the officials feet! so I can only conclude that tonights performance cannot be a fault of the officiating, no matter how bad we all felt it was at the time. It may be poor, but it is consistently poor. and each official has their own unique style that we must now be used to

What I find astounding is the devils recieved 3 ten minute penalties without a Capitals player being involved. talk about beating yourself! :roll: After the first 10 minute penalty the whole team should have been under strict instructions to keep their mouths shut and play to the whistle, nod to the ref and move on! I'd much rather take that many penalty minutes after a damned good fight, at least then the penalties would be of some benefit rather than being a one sided waste of minutes.

We beat ourselves this evening, by getting wound up. The Caps netminder played OK, but not well enough to beat us, and the Caps gameplan was pretty decisive. but we spent most of the game "reacting" and not creating.

I've been trying to think of something positive from tonight, but nothing is springing to mind :cry:

Russky

Before I start Id like to say fair play to Edinburgh, well done, you DESERVED the win!
As for the Devils where do I start?

1 We cant pass! We dont look where we are passing to. Passing drills scheduled for all training sessions this week!
2 Our first touch puck control was awful!
3 Aside from one chance from Miller we cant hit a bull on the bum with a banjo!
4 Their net minder didnt have to work that hard for his shut out!
5 Our Indiscipline: 3 major misconducts due to verbal indiscretions. We dont need to give Hicks anymore excuses to rack up the PIMs against us than he would normally!!
6 No inspirational leadership from the bench or on the ice!
7 Taking stupid penalties! a bench minor for to many men after just going on the power play!
8 Wasteful use of 3 5 on3 opportunities by playing too narrow through the middle and not stretching the Caps Defence enough to create the gaps!

Apart from that we werent too bad! :-S

To quote your point 1, we haven't been able to pass all season its been absolute awful, not just this game, probably one of the worst at passing this season is Birbraer, with his drop pass to know one for example, the rest are not much better either. I would love the Devils to pass the puck around like Coventry or Nottingham.

Russky said:
Before I start Id like to say fair play to Edinburgh, well done, you DESERVED the win!
As for the Devils where do I start?

1 We cant pass! We dont look where we are passing to. Passing drills scheduled for all training sessions this week!
2 Our first touch puck control was awful!
3 Aside from one chance from Miller we cant hit a bull on the bum with a banjo!
4 Their net minder didnt have to work that hard for his shut out!
5 Our Indiscipline: 3 major misconducts due to verbal indiscretions. We dont need to give Hicks anymore excuses to rack up the PIMs against us than he would normally!!
6 No inspirational leadership from the bench or on the ice!
7 Taking stupid penalties! a bench minor for to many men after just going on the power play!
8 Wasteful use of 3 5 on3 opportunities by playing too narrow through the middle and not stretching the Caps Defence enough to create the gaps!

Apart from that we werent too bad! :-S

wildthing74

The too many men penalties are a disgrace.We have been caught on this several times this year at home and on the road.
With 2 guys running the bench I can't see how this can happen?
We are known for not being a club to single out players/coaches but for me Adams has to go even if it's in the summer.
The guys are either not playing for him or he can't get them to play.As a group they are playing as individuals and despite various line changes over the season he has not got his lines settled.We have had guys that were brought in as our top players and been stuck on the 3rd but nothing has worked.
To be fair he took the job when it was pretty much forced on him.We had little or no other options at the time especially financially but I wonder with the stability we now have as a club would he have been given the job under the current regime?
Either way I hope by next year we can follow Cov and Sheffield's lead and afford a non playing coach.

Don cherry said:
bluedevil said:
Is Voth playing like someone whos time with a team is coming to an end? Can't remember him doing much of note since the McMorrow fight
could be right there.
I've heard it mentioned several times down at the rink that this is Brad's last season with us. No point in speculating though, he has been first player to sign for last two years so we should find out soon enough.

Koop11

Not a great weekend for Welsh sport in general. 0 points for the Devils against opposition we should be beating (on paper anyway) is simply not good enough.

Before we go on about how bad we were I think we have to give huge credit to Edinburgh who played a great road game. They were quick on the counter attack and pressed us for 3 periods. Their goalie had a stormer and fully deserved his MoM. Doug Christianson has signed a very decent team there and if it wasn’t for the injuries they have had this year I think they will have picked up more points than they already have. I just hope the investment the Caps organisation have put in this year will pull crowds in for the future.

Back to us and we’re lacking quality up front. I don’t think we actually played that bad. The game itself wasn’t a bad display of hockey. We just can’t produce quality shots anymore which is worrying when you look at the offensive power we have signed this year.

The Brits lead by example tonight and this is something the imports should be following. I don’t think it was lack of effort tonight. We worked hard but not smart.

The lack of firepower is very worrying leading into our CC final. It was only a few weeks ago just after Christmas when we were battering the top teams in the league and we looked like our season was turning. Now we can’t score goals which is something in the early season that got us out of jail in a few games. As things stand, whether we play Nottingham or Sheffield in the CC final, I cannot see us winning.