Devils v Clan - 26/09 - 6:00pm - League - Chat/Updates...

Ger-Devils

TheStub said:
Good result for the Devils tonight against a Clan side who really impressed me.

Tonight was no push over, and the Devils fought to a quality win. Sam Smith impressed, and nice to Symonds get a regular shift - he looked solid except for that moments ill discapline.
The 1st was a harsh call for holding then the 2nd he did the right thing- player shot the puck at net after the whistle went!

TheStub

Re: Re: Devils v Clan - 26/09 - 6:00pm - League - Chat/Updates..

Ger-Devils said:
TheStub said:

Tonight was no push over, and the Devils fought to a quality win. Sam Smith impressed, and nice to Symonds get a regular shift - he looked solid except for that moments ill discapline.
The 1st was a harsh call for holding then the 2nd he did the right thing- player shot the puck at net after the whistle went!
The first was a close call, but was a good defensive penalty to take. Strong defending against a player breaking away.

Ger-Devils

Decent win overall even though agent Hicks trying to even the game up with their 3rd goal!

Our top line are going very well. 32 points between them in 7 games!

Very impressed with the Clan - Very quick team who are no mugs. Shame Bernier wasn't icing after last nights fight but some good players in that team. Cook who's played in the Uk before and Pelle's old team mate from last season and Bruce which has already been mentioned.

Perras has improved his game from what I remember of the guy. Some nice saves from him

Got the empty net goal on video, check out Bruce Richardson at around 28 seconds (bottom right of the screen) falling over the stick on the ice. :D :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx3RTZ_g3gQ

Quite impressed with the Clan, they're certainly going to be able to take points from any of the so called 'bigger' teams. Its also great to see a different team for a change in Cardiff. I quite liked the colour of their kit too. :shock:

As for us, we started slow and I can't really say anyone stood out as a clear man of the match but we got the win and thats all that matters!

Finny

sdalgl72 said:
Is it me or does the Devils need to take more advantage of Power Plays. I know that the forwards are doing well the season from my limited knowledge of hockey but we don't seem to be taking advantage of the extra man.
Well we scored on 2 of our 4 PP chances tonight. 50% conversion rate would be classed as very good.

DevilDom

Finny said:
Well we scored on 2 of our 4 PP chances tonight. 50% conversion rate would be classed as very good.
I made it 2 from 5 (40%) but hey that's still pretty good. I was say though that considering all the games i've seen so far this season our PP has been pretty poor although is definitely improving as ga. Even last night, it wasn't until the 4th chance that we scored. It does seem to take us a while to get it going and sometimes it is awful, barely getting a shot off. Hopefully we'll continue to see the steady improvement as the player's have more time together.

Koop11

We won a messy game last night. I felt we played our worst game at home this season so far (missed the opening league game mind). I do think that was down to the Clan and their style of play so credit to them. They didn’t allow us to pull 3 passes together until late in the second period.

For much of the game I felt they out worked us. They were committed to every puck and played a typical road game. They filled up centre ice and hit when on the turnovers. A strong effort from a decent side whose 100% style of play comes as no surprise when you have Richardson at the helm.

We did eventually get our feet going and deserved the win for shire persistence. Our forwards were very quiet until late on in the game. I thought the 3rd line carried us for most of the game but the 1st and 2nd line eventually followed suit, with the 2nd line (particularly Finnerty and Hill) dominating the third period.

Defensively we looked more comfortable but still a far cry from where we want to be. I thought Kenton Smith played a very solid game and Sawyer I feel is doing a good job out there. Symonds, who for whatever reason is the hot topic at the moment, played a decent enough game. Both his penalties were correct though although his 2nd call for challenging the player who shot the puck late was a case of dammed if he did, dammed if he didn’t. His confidence will come with experience. Lyle is not looking that comfortable for whatever reason but when he’s playing well he is more than reliable.

Not a great game but two points in the bag. We will need to improve though if we are to continue this run of form against the Caps on Thursday.

Finny

DevilDom said:
Finny said:
I made it 2 from 5 (40%) but hey that's still pretty good. I was say though that considering all the games i've seen so far this season our PP has been pretty poor although is definitely improving as ga. Even last night, it wasn't until the 4th chance that we scored. It does seem to take us a while to get it going and sometimes it is awful, barely getting a shot off. Hopefully we'll continue to see the steady improvement as the player's have more time together.
I've just noticed on the game sheet that they've actually changed the time of the goal we scored. Initially it was at the same time the one penalty expired, but has since been changed to 2 seconds later. So it is would not be classed as 2 from 5 as you say.

I really am surprised people are criticising our PP though. Yes the first couple of games it was awful, but the last couple I've been really impressed and would say that it's as good as it has been at any point over the past couple of seasons. :shock:

Gazza272

Well my first time of seeing the guys in the flesh and I saw some big positives but also some worrying negatives.

Positives:

Max Birbrear: I thought he was head and shoulders the best player on the ice last night, his puck possession was quality, he looked strong, quick and was reading the game like a machine. It's the max we all wanted to see last season, the guy who when on his game is almost untouchable in this league as a player.

Jon Pelle: This guy just seems to have an extra two seconds on the puck that all great players have, worked his backside off and just looks a threat whenever he is on the ice.

Out Powerplay: Thing is about the powerplay it shouldnt be judged by how many shots you take, I found our PP organised and slick and everyone seemed to know their roles on it. It's a lot better than in previous years for me.

Justin Sawyer: A Massive presence on D and seemed neat and tidy in his distribution. And what I loved about him most is that he is a bully, for me the longer the game went on the more non exsistent Bruce Richardson became in the game as he was bricking it everytime he went near Justin.

The third line: I thought our Third line looked dangerous whenever it was on the ice and they seem to be forming chemistery. The only thing I would say is that Sam Smith is a bit raw and a bit naive at times but thats to be expected in his first pro year. I would definately be agreeing wiht Finny in saying Voth would give that line a massive boost.

Negatives:

The Smith brothers as a pairing: They simply arent aggressive enough, the Clan scored two goals by just crashing the net and poking at Lyle, I think I am right in saying the Smiths were on the ice for both of these goals (happy to be proved wrong though) but even when it wasnt the goals I felt the Clan got into our zone too easily, If I were G I would be looking to put himself or Sawyer with one of the Smith, Richardson seems to be able to use his body position to get himself out of trouble which is something i didnt see from the Smith brothers yesterday.

Scott Matzka: Maybe I was expecting too much but something didnt sit right with me about him, got the hands, and when he wanted to put the burners on to compete. But far too many times last night he was static and wasnt moving his legs, he just seemed to be waiting for something to happen rather than going to make it happen. Might have just been an off game, but i have to say i was a little worried.

Overall though I thought we were always going to win the game, the Clan were huffing and puffing but i always felt we had more goals in us than they did. They are a great side though, they compete for everything and Landry and Wedderburn in particular at the back looked outstanding, as did Brenden Cook. It's going to be a really difficult place to go and get points in up in Braehead, good to see they will be competitive though.

As for Symmonds penalty for giving Noel a slap for hitting the puck after the Whistle I thoguht it was a joke of a call, you know your not allowed to shoot the puck after the whistle, and Symmo did the right thing, Noel was lucky not to get something for throwing a punch back and also for the initial puck shooting. I doubt G was anything but pleased with what Symmo did.

I really am surprised people are criticising our PP though. Yes the first couple of games it was awful, but the last couple I've been really impressed and would say that it's as good as it has been at any point over the past couple of seasons. :shock:
Yeah same here, our PP against the giants especially looked really good, we appear to be moving the puck a lot more on the PP this year and opening up space rather than just standing still and passing it around trying to find a lane. Our PP is one of the things I've been most impressed with recently.

wildthing74

Our PP improved after we took MacRae off the point.Whilst he works hard he was constanlty coughing up the puck on the blue line and we had to come out and start again.
Much better since we put him in frint of the net and using his size to more effect.

TheStub

Gazza272 said:
Our Powerplay: Thing is about the powerplay it shouldnt be judged by how many shots you take, I found our PP organised and slick and everyone seemed to know their roles on it. It's a lot better than in previous years for me.
I agree totally with that. Powerplays are about building pressure and forcing chances. Everytime you shoot you give up the puck and allow the zone to be cleared. A good powerplay has a few shots with the best chance of scoring. The best has one shot the hits the back of the net ;)
Gazza272 said:
The third line: I thought our Third line looked dangerous whenever it was on the ice and they seem to be forming chemistery. The only thing I would say is that Sam Smith is a bit raw and a bit naive at times but thats to be expected in his first pro year. I would definately be agreeing wiht Finny in saying Voth would give that line a massive boost.
Watching last night, Sam Smith keeps getting better and better, and his physical game works well with McRae and Tylor. It will be a hard choice who to bench when Voth returns, and currently for me it should be Ben.

Gazza272

TheStub said:
Watching last night, Sam Smith keeps getting better and better, and his physical game works well with McRae and Tylor. It will be a hard choice who to bench when Voth returns, and currently for me it should be Ben.

For Me Ben's range of passing and puck possession is superior To Sam who at times struggles to make the right desicion in the zone. He uses his determination and power to make the plays, which is fine on a first line. But Voth can do a smiliar job while also being a bit more composed.

ASHIPP

A good win for the Devils, but against a side who probably threw everything at the Panthers the previous night. Already very impressed with the Clan and had they not been tired, they might well have pulled off a win. Devils, luckily took advantage of the Clan's fatigue and just wore them down a bit more. Very good p2 when Devils considerably speeded up the play, slick passing and more aggression.

Matzka and Pelle are really showing their class. :cool: Max did a tremendous job working for those guys. Other 2 lines firing well. My only 'negative' observation of the forward lines was there were a few opportunities to score from really close to the net and also from Perras rebounds...but there was nobody to pick the puck.

As for the defence, it certainly seems to be improving, but you could still detect a lack of confidence and concentration. Stevie will be furious about Clan goals 1 and (probably) 2 but he didn't seem get much protection for those. Is his performance affected at times by lack of trust of who is in front of him? Sometimes the defence seemed to allow the Clan forwards to skate over the blue line into their zone before any checking happened - Cook, Campbell and Chaumont always looked dangerous in that situation.
Gazza also raises a good point about the Smith Bros - appears insufficient agressiveness between them and both on the ice when Clan goals were scored. Infact, they seemed to be more effective as players when they were split - (Mark was paired with Ritchie briefly, and Kenton with Justin?)

If the Clan continue like this, playing against them in Braehead isn't going to be easy. :?

voth26

TheStub said:

To be honest I thought symonds was wrong to get a roughing call against him, cant remember the clan player but he shot the puck after the whistle, thought symonds had everyright to go after him to be honest

wildthing74

voth26 said:
TheStub said:

To be honest I thought symonds was wrong to get a roughing call against him, cant remember the clan player but he shot the puck after the whistle, thought symonds had everyright to go after him to be honest
Agree with you there.The Clan player had a dig back and to me was no different to when Sawyer had handbags with one of their players(could not see who it was)just minuted earlier and no pens were called on either player then.
I think I put the curse on Symmo as I texted MNL that he was getting a regular shift and doing ok.Cue 2 minors in quick succession!
Glad that G putting him back out as he aint going to learn watching on the bench.

DevilDom

Finny said:
Yes the first couple of games it was awful, but the last couple I've been really impressed and would say that it's as good as it has been at any point over the past couple of seasons. :shock:
That was kinda my point. It was pretty poor first few games, but has improved in the last couple of games i've seen, although is still a bit erratic and could improve some more.

DevilDom

Gazza272 said:
Scott Matzka: Maybe I was expecting too much but something didnt sit right with me about him, got the hands, and when he wanted to put the burners on to compete. But far too many times last night he was static and wasnt moving his legs, he just seemed to be waiting for something to happen rather than going to make it happen. Might have just been an off game, but i have to say i was a little worried.
I get the impression that Scott is still playing slightly within himself and we have probably only seen him at 80-90% capacity, probably because he is more used to 2 months conditioning training prior to the season starting as well as getting less ice time as he was on the 3rd or 4th line for the past couple of seasons. His class in this league is obvious (IMO) and I have been happy (if not bowled over) with what I have seen to date from him.

I think over the next month or so we will see him hit full pace and then we'll be more than happy with him. Saying that he is still 7th top point scorer, having played 2 less games than most of the others and having had tougher opposition!