Devils Vs Blaze - CC - 1st Oct 22

Kevlar68

SO, I'll stick by my comments, we still don't know our team.
We've played poor opposition in the league so far, we've lost all games in CC until tonight BUT Blaze have basically already qualified anyway so no need to go all out.
Until we play a league game against top tier opposition we won't know what our true team is capable of.

MA18

SO, I'll stick by my comments, we still don't know our team.
We've played poor opposition in the league so far, we've lost all games in CC until tonight BUT Blaze have basically already qualified anyway so no need to go all out.
Until we play a league game against top tier opposition we won't know what our true team is capable of.
Mmm I’d say Blaze went all out tonight. They were close to winning that.

Meridian

Finally tonight saw the Devils on occasions use a player to try and block Hedley, although there’s not much point in being there if the guy simply stands to the side of the goalie. Hedley could see everything we were firing at him, whilst he’s Blaze’s back up, he’s been a good goalie for a number of years - have watched him through juniors. In my opinion he fully deserved their MOM.

Didn‘t understand what Thomason was doing getting involved in the scuffle along with Cox. Not much hockey IQ in evidence there in my opinion.

Personally, I am Not a fan of Louis and Batch as a Defensive pairing, and again tonight we saw a couple of instances where we offered up the puck to go for a line change, when there was no apparent pressure on the Devils - Blaze are a good side, they don’t sit top of the league without reason - so why would one see it a worthwhile tactic to give a dangerous side possession of the puck?

A much needed win from a motivational perspective, but there is still a lot for the Devils to work on to put right
Agree with most of that but batch and Louis have been one of our most reliable D pairings for a few years now. Louis has had an injury and he might just be working his way back into it

Hedd Wyn John

Mmm I’d say Blaze went all out tonight. They were close to winning that.
Yes, it was a hard fought - tight game. P1 the Devils were stronger but Blaze just kept at it & were dangerous all night.

Right now I'll take the win, the game could have gone either way. That being said the Devils have a lot of work to do. Despite peppering the goal with shots the Devils didn't really do that much to challenge the goalie and out D still felt disjointed. Its a step in the right direction but Dupont will know that things need to improve.

kristian

We could have a lot more tonight with a bit of luck.
Reckon #11 is carrying a injury a few times he went to hit someone but just pulled out at last minute

Diablo3

Stats tell you everything you need to know about that game, massively outshot, massively won the face offs. and now the only team to beat the Blaze in 60 minutes. There may be a bit of work still to do but I will take that.

The_Stick_

I think tonight was one of the better performances of the season. I think there’s a long way to go, but this is a good starting point. Expect nothing less in Manchester now

august04 2.0

I thought we played very well, couldn’t fault the work ethic and effort either and a much more physical performance - puts to bed this nonsense that some were spouting about the club not caring about the CC. It’s still an uphill battle to qualify but we're in there with a chance. Very happy with most of the team tonight, must have been frustrating for it to have been so close despite us being better for large periods of the game - but a huge shoutout to Jordan Hedley, who I think will definitely be challenging Bowns and Whistle for the GB no.1 spot his year, he was outstanding tonight (and when he came in on Thursday). It takes a brave coach to break up the CCS line but I liked our top two lines tonight and thought Brandt played a great game. He deserves all the extra ice time he’s getting at the moment and puts one or two to shame with his effort and physicality. A much needed and deserved win.

Ejercito Rojas

Overall, a good performance tonight, we did what we had to do, stop the rot!
More cohesion than we’ve seen of late and some good individual performances. Still one or two passengers though.
We were the better team on the night but although we didn’t make the most of our chances we ground out a much needed win.

Riley Brandt, take a bow, an excellent nights works. Threw more checks on one shift than some others have thrown all season and great work with the puck also. A true momentum changer, he got the crowd going and he sparked his team mates into action.
Got hit by a slapshot but the puck got stretchered off he just got up and carried on!

Now to see if we can find some consistency an string a run of wins together.

BostonBart22

Fantastic game, thought Coventry would've backed off a bit last night but gave it their all in fairness..what was brandt on last night , wow imagine if he was the size of brittain . Thought the officials were great as well as whistles were put away a lot and the 2 teams were allowed to play, tallberg for blaze was fantastic for them as was hedley, riley and Cox remind me of vezio, but get involved in the rough stuff more. Could've been 4 or 5 up 1st period , was like the alimo in the first period 19 to 3 shots, gonna be tougher tonight, be happy with point in storm barn. We'll done all on last night.

hip check

Struggling with Bowns. Great lad, really great but he’s not firing for me and I think our D see that.
Brandt changes the whole game, lifts the crowd and the team.
Louis great at being a presence, stands tall and gives the looks but needs to let loose at some point.
Cox can’t try and do it all…
Agree with all you've said there particularly Brandt, as far as I'm concerned he optimises what being a Cardiff Devil is all about, he puts his body on the line every game and doesn't take a backward step you know exactly what you're getting with him.
Cox another player in the same mould who combines that with great skill and tenacity, those two throw more hits than all our 6'4" players combined and they are not afraid to drop the gloves, that's what gets the crowd on their feet and puts the opposition off their stride.
We've had smaller players playing like big players and big players playing like small players.
The team has been misfiring this season and it's players like Cox and Brandt who the fans love and there's a reason for that.

The_Stick_

Thought the referees had an excellent game last night which was brilliant to see following the past couple of weeks. My one gripe however was the amount of time it took for them to blow the whistle whilst Sanford was crawling to the bench.

BostonBart22

Thought the referees had an excellent game last night which was brilliant to see following the past couple of weeks. My one gripe however was the amount of time it took for them to blow the whistle whilst Sanford was crawling to the bench.
At first I thought he lost a blade on his skate, until he couldn't go further , then they blew whistle, remarkable recovery though, thought he was gonna be out of action for a while.

T10P

Happy with the win.

What has happened to the PP though? Struggle massively to get int he zone, and then can’t find the open man to get a clean setup.