Devils Vs Blaze - League - 26th Nov 22 - 19:00 FO

BostonBart22

Woke up this morning waiting to see the headlines, Dupont and Pivac sacked, but then I woke again, I went to the 2 games, the only passion at the rugby was the little schoolgirls singing sospan Fach at halftime you just had to see it on their faces on the big screen , the only passion I saw at the devils was Shannon dropping the puck at faceoff. Just wondering if these players are playing so bad they want to be home with families for Xmas ,absolutely gutless and boring game this season , fans been saying the lge is gone now, it was gone at least a month ago. Shambles . We needed a scrap to get a lift in the game but as someone said louis and batch could be on the leash or they don't seem interested in scraps anymore, one hit I believe was by Cox behind the net , he levelled the blaze player as well, how tall is Cox 5ft ish, come on the big boys get stuck in ffs ..fife won 5..1 last night away at storm it's gonna be a very emotional defeat I'm afraid ..

moggy#9

A difference between last weekend and today was the opposition familiarity with us. Coventry knew how to stop us, especially on the PP as let's be honest it's been identical all year. Last week they didn't, for example leaving Brodie Reid all alone for a one timer.

Depends how you look at the Dupont situation. I'm hoping its a long term project, similar to Lord and Keefe, and hoping that Brodie learns and grows from adversities he's faced this year. The alternative is to either get another new young coach in from the league, or go for an unknown that's new to the league, which more often than not doesn't fit, like Skalde or Gary Graham.
Either way, it would leave us back at square 1 with another rebuild season after rebuild after rebuild. I'm hoping Dupont will be given 3 years to see what he can do and hopefully improve himself and the team. This is his first full time season after all. I don't see how you can build a culture and winning environment at your club if you keep changing the coach every year.
In the games I've seen, there's not been a single ready of light to suggest that Dupont is learning. There's not been any in game tweaks, or week by weeks improvement. Certain players continue to coast (so much for his motivational capabilities) as well. If we were close, but not quite there, I'd agree with you, but from what I've seen.

Slartibartfast

Im struggling to take positives out of this team at the moment but I have to mention 3 players. Sanford Cox and Waller. Sanford seems to be the only one we can rely on to score and beat in form goalies and Cox is setting up most of those goals and is one of the few throwing checks.
Waller is looking more threatening every game and drew 2 penalties last night. (not that it helped). He still takes some big risks which will improve with experience but he is one of the few players I fell excited about when he has got the puck.
All 3 are must keeps for next year.

Pembo

It’s interesting to see a coach like Paul Dixon down at Guildford continue to turn out competitive teams despite Flames lack of ability to retain their better players. When we were looking for new coaches post Lord established EIHL coaches like him tended to be dismissed by sections of the fan base as unambitious & not as glamorous getting a bigger name coach from a different league. I think there is something to say for a league proven coach who “gets” the Elite league.
As Todd said previously, it’s a weird little league where every game matters because end of season placement matters for the fans and so does performance level through the season. This is in contrast to many other leagues where players and fans don’t really turn properly up until the playoffs.
Past couple of seasons it’s maybe felt a bit more like “lets get things right by end of season and have a tilt at some silverware in playoffs”, which for most overseas ice hockey fan bases would be absolutely fine. I think that mindset will always be tricky for a top half EIHL fanbase to adapt to. Hopefully DuPont and the team can get things going soon, but if not maybe it’s worth building from the league next time?

bb1

Louis definitely isn't on a leash.....The reality is that NOBODY wants to fight him FACT. Batch just hasn't got it in him anymore, his desire to play with an edge went the moment he witnessed Janssen KO Marsh up in Nottingham.

Anyway let's forget fighting......a bloody body check would be nice!!! It was evident last night that Brandt was coming back from an injury and we cant expect him to do it all himself. As for the rest of them.....absolute shambles.

People saying that last weekend the opposition were weaker.....even so i'd would expect the same level of intensity, passion and fight no matter who we play!!!

I have defended Dupont lately but now my 2 pence worth is that the players just don't seem to want to play for him and his lack of experience is really showing. What is the answer......I really do not know. Only TK can try and sort this out right now but one thing is for sure we really could do with a couple of new names being announced next week.

jenks33

Shots on goal tells us something- 33/20 in Coventry’s favour.
I’m still shaking my head at those stats. 6 PP’s to 0 and they outshot us 33-20!? Just 20 shots on goal in 60 minutes when we had a man advantage for 12 minutes. It’s just nowhere near good enough and even the most positive Devils fans can’t defend that. It’s inexcusable against Belfast or Sheffield but Coventry are a mid table team. To be fair I think Danny Stewart recruited well in the summer but they will finish 4th at best.

kettdevil1

It’s interesting to see a coach like Paul Dixon down at Guildford continue to turn out competitive teams despite Flames lack of ability to retain their better players. When we were looking for new coaches post Lord established EIHL coaches like him tended to be dismissed by sections of the fan base as unambitious & not as glamorous getting a bigger name coach from a different league. I think there is something to say for a league proven coach who “gets” the Elite league.
As Todd said previously, it’s a weird little league where every game matters because end of season placement matters for the fans and so does performance level through the season. This is in contrast to many other leagues where players and fans don’t really turn properly up until the playoffs.
Past couple of seasons it’s maybe felt a bit more like “lets get things right by end of season and have a tilt at some silverware in playoffs”, which for most overseas ice hockey fan bases would be absolutely fine. I think that mindset will always be tricky for a top half EIHL fanbase to adapt to. Hopefully DuPont and the team can get things going soon, but if not maybe it’s worth building from the league next time?
This post has really made me think. I think the key thing with Dixon is that every year his teams play in exactly the same way, you know what is coming, stopping it is rather trickier. Not sure how long he has been in the role (10 years maybe?) but whoever comes in, it is absolutely clear what is needed. This year he has hit upon the most talented group he has had for years and the result is that they hit the ground running and are going to be tough to catch.

It was the same for us under Lordo, teams knew what we were going to do but it was stopping the constant cycling of the puck that was a problem.

What seems to be lacking for us at the moment is a clear style that everyone is buying into. The micro game management has often been good but it's the bigger picture that appears to be lacking. The lines are still unbalanced, the powerplay was good at the start of the season but there has been no adjustment now teams have worked it out and it's now poor, we are not playing to our strengths and too often we are looking for a pass that isn't there. It's the proactive rather than reactive coaching that is not there yet.

To be honest, I don't know the answers and I don't know if this is a coaching or a playing issue. I am not convinced the balancing of lines is possible with the current line-up so changes might well be needed but beyond that - the question remains as to what we are standing for as a team.

I am so apathetic about this team that I can’t even bring any constructive debate.

We are either very poor or we don’t care and neither of those is acceptable:

I have already decided I’m not going next week, it’s becoming a real chore.
Completely agree.
Nothing new to add to the debate as it’s all been said before.
A "copy and paste" performance that can be easily summed up with any of a miriad of "copy and paste" critical reviews.
The "illuminati" amongst us could see this season coming down the tracks when we re-signed so many of the underperforming team from last year coupled with a rookie coach.
Last weekend was entertaining against a poor opposition,( made up of mainly kids) but that’s our level.
I decided some weeks ago to "travel in hope rather than expectation " but I’m now questioning whether to
"travel at all"!

Very, very disappointing but not unexpected!

Devil94

This post has really made me think. I think the key thing with Dixon is that every year his teams play in exactly the same way, you know what is coming, stopping it is rather trickier. Not sure how long he has been in the role (10 years maybe?) but whoever comes in, it is absolutely clear what is needed. This year he has hit upon the most talented group he has had for years and the result is that they hit the ground running and are going to be tough to catch.

It was the same for us under Lordo, teams knew what we were going to do but it was stopping the constant cycling of the puck that was a problem.

What seems to be lacking for us at the moment is a clear style that everyone is buying into. The micro game management has often been good but it's the bigger picture that appears to be lacking. The lines are still unbalanced, the powerplay was good at the start of the season but there has been no adjustment now teams have worked it out and it's now poor, we are not playing to our strengths and too often we are looking for a pass that isn't there. It's the proactive rather than reactive coaching that is not there yet.

To be honest, I don't know the answers and I don't know if this is a coaching or a playing issue. I am not convinced the balancing of lines is possible with the current line-up so changes might well be needed but beyond that - the question remains as to what we are standing for as a team.
Excellent post

Apart from the 1 goal the Devils just couldn't seem to find a way past the Blaze D, I've said if before and I'll say it again. We lack a big forward player who goes in and causes mayhem in front of goal. Time and time again their D forces our players out to the boards and that lack of big body player causing chaos is hurting us.
That’s what brittain was put in for a big body 6ft5 but I’m yet to see him throw a hit or do anything in front of the net minder he is absolute trash! No strength at all he’s like a wet paper towel

I have not written anything on here for a long time, but I just cannot keep silent on this team any longer. This is the worst team i've seen for many many years. Totally out of their depth when it comes to playing the big boys. We have recruited a team that is way too small and shows no passion for the jersey.

I think it's bad form to mention names, but I will mention one, because he's a very special case. #11, in my opinion one of the lousiest players we have ever signed. I put him in the same bracket as Trent Anderson and Robert Millette (Wannabe will know what I mean). He should be sacked TODAY!!! At the summit it was said that we needed to address our lack of size and physicality up front....we have gone backwards with this character!! He skates behind the play and the only kind contact he makes is when he sits his arse down on the bench!! He should pack his bags today!

Bowns should have never come back, we had the best out of him some years ago. I feel for Joes Martin, he keeps looking over his shoulder to find Haddad, but he's not there to create space for him. We have never addressed losing Haddad. Joey M is now playing on a small vulnerable team that exposes him. I always think, how many of our team would make the Belfast roster, I would say possibly 1...Coughler!! They sign teams which look like hockey teams 6 foot and physical, we sign quirky teams which does not wash it anymore in this league. I also don't think it's all Dupont's fault (apart from signing Brittain) as he inherited this team I believe. A team made up of mediocre ECHL player who clearly struggle against the likes of Sheffield, Belfast...well the whole league really!! We ware what we are ladies and gentleman, fifth place if we're lucky!!

Last thing, I am tired of this cosy 'we don't gas players' sh%t. The ' we're a nice club that looks after our players'. We can still look after player but when they coast around and still pick up a wage, then you should be shown the door...pronto!! That tired culture has to chanGe and be more professional as a hockey club!!

Sorry for the length of this and if we keep this side going I WILL NOT BE RENEWING MY ST NEXT SEASON!!

Some changes must be made! As said above #11 should be first to go too big too slow can’t throw a hit, too many sloppy giveaways in our own zone why he’s on the pp I don’t know! Another thing I’ve had enough of is that stupid drop pass on the pp it’s getting boring now surely they can come up with something different! Starting to question weather to renew my season ticket next season, I know coughler is injured but when he’s back I think they should go back to the ccs line because last season we wouldn’t have won the playoffs without that line!

bb1

Could we be going the same way the Panthers have for many years? Neilson departed after bringing many years of success and Panthers have been dismal since (things may change now for them with his return). After Lord departed its plausible that we could go through many coaches and players and see so much inconsistency.

I think the devils need to address things shortly as I am hearing a lot of people who have said they won't be renewing their ST next season. With the cost of living on the rise and another energy hike in April people need a reason to fall back in love with this team.

I am one of those who will always renew and love the club but I can understand that many people who have 2, 3 or 4 ST's for their family may think twice .

lloyd_jeff

I’d really like to know what the ”Skalde didn’t fit“ actually meant, obviously it’ll never be revealed. With that said this is a squad made up predominantly of last yrs with a few fan favourite oldies thrown in to boost ticket sales. So I’m assuming this scenario, Skalde was told the next seasons roster & when he stopped laughing & realised Todd was serious, he told Todd where to stick it. Skalde came with a very good CV, since we’ve lost him & Carruth the team & club is going to shit & from what I’m gathering that’s all because their not “Yes” men to Todd‘s ego. This isn’t the NHL Todd, it’s the EIHL and your in the role because your rich friend gifted it to you & since you lost Lord, it’s all going Mega Monday.

And just to add the IAW is hanging in the balance, so an epic display of Devils Hockey showing longevity & security would be nice, unless of course you know the clubs doomed & your just consolidating revenue for your next venture into Europe.

Last edited:

moggy#9

That’s what brittain was put in for a big body 6ft5 but I’m yet to see him throw a hit or do anything in front of the net minder he is absolute trash! No strength at all he’s like a wet paper towel
I don't think that brittain needs to necessarily hit to make a difference. Even if he was just using his reach to retain the puck it would help with the zone time. I'd put him with Reid and Crandall to see what he could do.

The last time I posted on here was at the end of the 2018/19 season, I believe! yet... here I am! I have no problem with losing, nobody enjoys it but it's part of the excitement and unpredictability of sport. If we were guaranteed to win every game it would also become monotonous. However, what I can't stomach is paying good money and not being entertained. When I look at the table, I don't see anything that terrible, we are still in the mix (Guildford aside) points wise. HOWEVER, when I'm sitting in IAW, I find myself thinking about all the other things I could be doing and hoping the period hurries to an end... This team is BORING to watch. We have no identity, no passion (aside from 2/3 players), and we have a couple of signings that have turned out to be complete BUSTS. I'd love to win everything, but I know that's unrealistic and I am ok with that! But the fact is, I just won't go anymore whilst it's boring. If I wanted to watch players I paid good money to see, crumbling to the ground in a heap on flesh at the slightest touch, I'd go to City every week.

The fans (block 13 especially) really got behind the guys last night to give them that extra boost... to no avail... Cant blame the fans for this one!

Dupont said in the summer he wanted more size and more physicality up front.... then we re-signed half of last years team!? And the players who were brought in with bigger bodies have had little impact. It's just dire, at this point.

jenks33

I’m not disagreeing regarding Brittain’s ineffectiveness but to be fair to Dupont I would put money on it that Brittain was a Kelman/Franny signing. Brittain to the devils was rumoured every summer for 3 or 4 years. Brittain’s wife said a few months ago that it was always a dream of hers for Josh to play in Cardiff with her welsh connections. I wouldn’t be surprised if Brittain has had a relationship with Todd and Franny for a few years and he was always likely to end up in Cardiff when the time was right for both parties.