Devils Vs Giants - Sunday 12th Jan - 6pm - Chat

daz

Re: Devils Vs Giants - Sunday 12th Jan - 6pm - Chat

voth26 said:
showboat said:
Horror Horror show at the bbt, biggest wake up call ever, no more excuses, we aint good enough :DWD
We arent good enough because we are missing 5 or 6 players such as richie, blight to start with, certain players like tyson lord plumton mac are logging huge amounts of minutes. If the pair of idiots who run the club spent more time actually doing what they say they are going to do ie sign a d man as far as i know i havent seen any names mentioned!!! Instead they spend their time blowing smoke out of their asses and lurching from one situation to another. Pope is going to bugger off to
God knows where for few weeks. So what the hell do you except if i was a current devils player i would have told pope sod you im off but they havent why because they are professional players which is something this club USED to be

BostonBart22

ASHIPP said:
How many minutes of ice time do you think some of our guys logged tonight? Double and triple shifting. What do you think the consequences of that are going to be? Extreme fatigue, poor results and, yes, probably more injuries.

I noted one absence from Giants' roster - a team so consistent and so superior that they will have virtually walked the League by the end of Jan ....and will possibly win the treble.

Devils put out 12 skaters tonight. What do people realistically expect. Our guys are trying to conserve themselves for Tuesday in Fife. Club needs to take stock and take action. To reduce fatigue and avoid further injuries before we can even consider being competitive, the Team needs more bodies and fast.

It's a very sad state of affairs. I feel desperately sorry for the players flogging their guts out. Some showed real professionalism tonight despite the scoreline
tbh players who will be offered contracts for next season will think twice about renewing after this season. kurka for one will not come back.
The Club need to find a new coach along with those extra players. Good luck in the search for that....think the Club are in for a difficult time recruiting next season.

jimmy snels

Right. I can handle losing. What I can not handle is such a passionless display from devils. That was absolutely diabolical. I understand we are a little short. But there is no excuse in the second period to completely capsize like that. Our D had played 10 minutes max each in the first. Hardly a hockey first they should be able to handle it, if it was the third id understand but right from the start they backed off so far without making a challenge or a block and let the giants have free reign to bombard cook whilst effectively doing nothing. How many checks did our d men put out tonight? In fact as a team how many did we dish out?

Kurka lord and davies are the only ones who looked like devils tonight. Absolutely disgusted.

Enough is enough. We need a proper coach. We need to gas some players and bring in new. We need to install some passion for gods sake.

rolf

A different perspective here. Tonight I watched 4 D men work their butts off to break up plays and block shots all night. I also saw them make the transitional pass out to a forward who immediately coughed the puck up to a fore-checking opponent and the puck comes back again and again and again, no real mention about how our forwards cannot build a play. Seem happy enough to dump it into the end zone if they can hold onto it for long enough. How many times does a forward cough up the puck and not skate back and get re-involved? We play 2 D and 3 forwards on a team/line. We will always be out-manned by that mathematical stat.

Paul Sullivan

jimmy snels said:
Enough is enough. We need a proper coach. We need to gas some players and bring in new. We need to install some passion for gods sake.
Please tell us which players should be gassed in order to hire replacements.

jimmy snels

O dont get me wrong the forwards were absolutely abysmal to the point where I question if there is any real plan or leadership whatsoever. Im just saying if a guy is skating into your zone, one giant vs two of our d men im pretty sure someone should be taking the body on the blue line. Not backing off so far ur practically in net with cook but not actually blocking a shooting lane. Tonight was inept in the extreme all over the ice

All of you know the Devils way better than me but where will the money come from after just sending a guy home and a decrease in crowds?

Ragan has said this is one of the most expensive squads he has put out so I'm not sure there will be money there for replacement??

jimmy snels

Paul Sullivan said:
jimmy snels said:
I could pick a number to be honest. Id say smith kurka marsh mac lord davies batch have all justified their places. Other than that id say you could make an argument all have under performed to an extent. The definition of stupidity is trying something, getting the same result, then doing exactly the same thing and expecting different. This team has underperformed under G and pope from pre season expectations. Id say we are missing an out and out goal scorer, a power forward and a strong stay at home Dman. As well as a coach who wants to be here all year and is respected by both fans, players and the mmanagement.

What would you do paul?

Paul Sullivan

jimmy snels said:
Paul Sullivan said:
jimmy snels said:
I could pick a number to be honest. Id say smith kurka marsh mac lord davies batch have all justified their places. Other than that id say you could make an argument all have under performed to an extent. The definition of stupidity is trying something, getting the same result, then doing exactly the same thing and expecting different. This team has underperformed under G and pope from pre season expectations. Id say we are missing an out and out goal scorer, a power forward and a strong stay at home Dman. As well as a coach who wants to be here all year and is respected by both fans, players and the mmanagement.

What would you do paul?
So you have avoided choosing players you want to gas, but by omission I am seeing Blight, Birbraer, Quiney, Piggot,Cook, Myers, Myers, Jones are the players you would cut loose?

Interesting strategy....

What would I do? I would not employ a figure of ridicule that has no respect in the dressing room and who has a history of failure in other rooms, on many levels of hockey, as our Head Coach. A person who is about to leave the country for an ill-deserved stint as a commentator for the BBC @ the winter olympics.

What I would do is reduce the ridiculous costs of this Club off the ice and use the savings to recruit some people who can actually help the club, not spend their entire time desperately protecting their own position.

jimmy snels

Not a strategy of any kind. Im saying you could make a case that the remaining names were underperforming and could be replaced to sign players in the positions I have suggested.

I also agreed with you on the coach thing by the way :)

Paul Sullivan

So not really applying any kind of strategy at all then? Ok.... :DWD

I can understand you defending the Ragan administration though. If I were being fed info about signings etc by the owner I might be protective of that relationship too ;) Bissonette being leaked for example...

No point in commenting on the game tonight as everyone will have their own opinion on who was to blame. G for signing the team we have? BP for coaching (or lack of) or PR for everything?

My question is about injuries. When will Richardson be back? We were told a few weeks after the injury,when will that be? Quiney .... what is wrong and when will it be fixed? And then we have Blight who warms up with the team this evening, everything looking good and then decides that no ... he is not quite ready ;:| I hope Morrissette will be back soon after the unfortunate accident in warmup today.

So thats two forwards and two defence injured, add that to Liimatainen's replacement who has yet to appear and the other defence man who we were promised but also never appeared.

How can the remaining skaters possibly be expected to win a game when they are all double and treble shifting?

jimmy snels

Paul Sullivan said:
So not really applying any kind of strategy at all then? Ok.... :DWD

I can understand you defending the Ragan administration though. If I were being fed info about signings etc by the owner I might be protective of that relationship too ;) Bissonette being leaked for example...
For years now paul you have attacked me on here for no real rhyme or reason. When I suggested in the past anything anti club line or that anything was possibly wrong you've taken a swipe. This season its gone full circle and everything is anti club from you and anyone who is seen to be too pro club is on the receiving end. Then tonight you seem to think I knew paul bissonnette was signing for us?! Are you serious? I know tonight was bad but recreational drugs are not the answer! I have talked (and I mean " "hi paul any chance of new signings this wk?" Or "how was the coach journey") at about three away games and possibly two home games. I have no idea where you get this perception from, but it might explain why you feel the need to put head slap smile faces and dis agree in a sarcastic manner without so much as a discussion or debate. I mean, fancy someone knowing something before the great paul sullivan!! How dare they! ! :DWD

My strategy for on ice performance which to be honest is all I care about, is bring in a big stay at home d man, a power forward (colt king for me would be a great fit) and a natural scorer. Id also change the coach to someone without any club ties. You however choose to get rid of pope for wearing hats and that's it. I think for a team by many at other clubs seen to be challenging for the league to be terrible for the majority of away games and capitulate like they just have at home something has to change or we are suffering for mediocrity.

Well done for completely de railing a thread again though, you're becoming a pro at that

I know tonight's loss was awful but we've still got to realise that Belfast are in a different league to anyone right now, we still mix it up with any of the other teams in the league.
It's not like we're contending for the top, I just hope we can press for Cup and playoff places.

mazza03

jimmy snels said:
Right. I can handle losing. What I can not handle is such a passionless display from devils. That was absolutely diabolical. I understand we are a little short. But there is no excuse in the second period to completely capsize like that. Our D had played 10 minutes max each in the first. Hardly a hockey first they should be able to handle it, if it was the third id understand but right from the start they backed off so far without making a challenge or a block and let the giants have free reign to bombard cook whilst effectively doing nothing. How many checks did our d men put out tonight? In fact as a team how many did we dish out?

Kurka lord and davies are the only ones who looked like devils tonight. Absolutely disgusted.

What the hell game were you watching? I saw a depleted team who gave their all, they looked absolutely knackered, God help us on Tuesday.

I guessing must have been watching a different game from some posters on this thread.

Fate over the last few weeks and months has conspired to deal the team a fairly awful sequence of events, that have seen injuries, retirements and suspensions knock the team at fairly regular intervals.

Even last night, fate had a hand in dealing another couple of blows in the warm up. We don't have the luxuries of an Arena team and their 37 imports ;)

One could reasonably argue the sooner the Arena Teams leave the Elite League to go play in Europe the better for the non-arena teams, and the much speculated merge with the EPL can create a much more level playing field.

For me last night was all about damage limitation, and for the effort I saw, I was proud to call myself a Devils fan.

Some argue there was no passion - so my question would be How come we scored four goals against a team that will win the league with games to spare.

Some argue there was no forecheck, no checking the body etc - fair comment, to a degree that could have stopped a couple of goals, but the last thing the Devils could afford was spending anytime in the Penalty box. The Giants were 3 for 3 last night on the Powerplay. Our Powerplay was up against players that were comparatively fresh off the bench when compared to the Devils who have been double shifting for what seems like ages.

With our naughty boy reputation at a Ivory Towers any kind of interpretation of an over physical check by Broadway Tom would merely add yet more problems to our fairly extensive list as it is.

Genuine questions - Was anyone else surprised that the Devils didn't call a timeout during the 4 goals in 2 minutes 15 seconds during the 2nd period? If nothing else, it might have broken/stilted the Giants momentum and given our guys a 30 second breather.
Is there some logical reason why the Elite Team haven't called up Jamie Hayes from the NIHL? Yes I know he's a forward and Defence is where we need the help, but given that the signing of a replacement D couldn't be managed before this last weekend, am I thinking too far outside the box to call up Jamie as a forward, and drop Max into D (after all Max does or has played D for Israel)

Armchair Coach said:
Even last night, fate had a hand in dealing another couple of blows in the warm up. We don't have the luxuries of an Arena team and their 37 imports ;)

One could reasonably argue the sooner the Arena Teams leave the Elite League to go play in Europe the better for the non-arena teams, and the much speculated merge with the EPL can create a much more level playing field.

Some argue there was no passion - so my question would be How come we scored four goals against a team that will win the league with games to spare.
Love the arena line that gets trotted out (wont you be an arena team when your new barn is completed?)

Because Dicko was in goal for 2 of them and being 11 up the Giants decided not to run the score up.

Finny

If injuries wasn't a good enough excuse for Adams earlier in the season then it shouldn't be used as an excuse by the management now.

The tactics last night were abysmal. When you are that short you don't play all out attacking hockey that sees what defenders we have left charging forward, and then having to charge back when no one covers them.

We've played games with a similar number of players out injured/suspended and never been embarrassed like that in the EIHL before.